Nestor Kirchner has just passed

perry said:
You really are scraping the bottom of the barrel with your remarks. Making cheap political points from a tragedy says a lot about your insensitive personality.

Sorry but his death was not a tragedy. The death of a great leader who served his country well and honestly would be a tragedy. Kirchner's family may be sad but foremost he was a public figure and he has to be judged by the Argentine people as a public figure, not as a father or husband.

gouchobob said:
Actually I wish the Nestor were still alive. The ideal human rights outcome would have been to bring these people to trial for their beliefs, which seem to be limited to abusing their power and lining their pockets. Cristina will still be available after 2011 for trial if she doesn't flee to more hospitable environments to spend the loot accumulated during the couples reign in power.

My first post on this forum. I joined to contribute to the thread about rental scams....but I find this thread equally interesting.

Several of my Argentine friends feel cheated by Nestor's death. Their preference was that Nestor be hanged alongside Cristina in the Plaza de Mayo for raping and pillaging the national treasury.

perry said:
Respecting the dead is paramount and noone deserves to die suddenly nor deserves to die for his beliefs.
1) I thinking that "respecting the dead" is for those close to him/her who are still alive. There is a lot to that. No matter how corrupt or how many "bad things" a person has done when alive, there are almost always people who see another side to that person and they have lost someone who is dear to them. So yes, many people have lost someone close to them today.

2) "die suddenly"- My mother always says "EVERYONE 'dies suddenly'." and she's right. Even if they are sick for 20 years, they "die suddenly".

3) Although many would disagree with me, I explained Nestor's passing to my sister like this:

"This is like Dick Cheney AND Karl Rove dying in November of 2003."

The significance of Nestor's passing cannot be over emphasized/ over blown/ over stressed... I don't know exactly how to say it, because it might be bigger than if Cristina herself had died. At least it is up for debate. It is that huge.

SaraSara said:
Sorry to disagree - the way I read it, Gouchobob is saying no such thing. That is your own interpretation.

No one "deserves" to die, but we all will die nevertheless when our time comes.

If anyone HAD to die at this particular time, it is better for Argentina that it was Nestor Kirchner. With him gone, half of the corruption network he created will lose power.

Sadly, I disagree. The corruption will likely be transferred to the next administration. As corrupt as the K's have been, they are mere amateurs compared to Menem. Who knows what new heights of corruption the next administration might scale.

The fact that many expats celebrate the death of one president that has done much for the poors reflects that the successfull people stay in their country of origin.

La ley de medios was created to bring democracy to our media. Clarin (who is owned partially by the Goldman Sachs) and La Nacion control practically more than 70% of the newspapers and TV news all across the country) and they stole Papel Prensa with the help of the milititary goverment and sell paper at a high price to destroy competence.

But seriously Sara, when you post such absurdities, do you know they are demonstrably false when you are posting them, or do you genuinely believe them and if so how do you arrive at such spectacular conclusions - are these things people tell you? do you have mystical insights after a little too much Hellmann's mayonnaise? is it a faulty app on your i phone?

I long ago gave up taking an interest in your posts from a parallel universe as you simply ignore anyone who questions the veracity of what you post and move on to the next absurdity. But apologies Sara, I am weak, I could not let that go past. An Argentine who is unaware that the media law was passed by congress, it just beggars belief.

gouchobob said:
Actually I wish the Nestor were still alive. The ideal human rights outcome would have been to bring these people to trial for their beliefs, which seem to be limited to abusing their power and lining their pockets. Cristina will still be available after 2011 for trial if she doesn't flee to more hospitable environments to spend the loot accumulated during the couples reign in power.

I'm all for bringing criminals to trial for their actions, but NO ONE should be tried for their beliefs...not ever.

dr__dawggy said:
Sadly, I disagree. The corruption will likely be transferred to the next administration. As corrupt as the K's have been, they are mere amateurs compared to Menem. Who knows what new heights of corruption the next administration might scale.

I disagree. If Menem had not privatized the utilities this expat group wouldn't exist. I was in Argentina in the early 90's. The infrastructure was a nightmare. Making a phone call a few blocks away could take half an hour. You had to call over and over. There used to be regular power cuts. You had to wait several years to get a phone installed. Yes, there was corruption in the transfer to private ownership but I doubt that there was more than now. It's popular to blame Menem for everything but how many would like to go back to living without phones or basic, working amenities?

sergio said:
I disagree. If Menem had not privatized the utilities this expat group wouldn't exist. I was in Argentina in the early 90's. The infrastructure was a nightmare. Making a phone call a few blocks away could take half an hour. You had to call over and over. There used to be regular power cuts. You had to wait several years to get a phone installed. Yes, there was corruption in the transfer to private ownership but I doubt that there was more than now. It's popular to blame Menem for everything but how many would like to go back to living without phones or basic, working amenities?

My criticism is not that Menem privatized public utilities. Whether this was good for Argentina is certainly open to discussion and reasonable people can disagree on this topic. Perhaps some services improved and some deteriorated as a result....The quality of air service within the country declined even as the price for tickets increased, for example.

My criticism is that Menem skimmed millions if not billions of dollars off the top of the proceeds from the sale of public utilities for his own benefit and to buy the patronage of his wealthy friends and the votes of the poor and middle class.

It is corruption not policies that concern me.

sergio said:

Sure Sergio...because the privatizations were done in such an efficient manner...I remember being released from those lazy bums of Entel...and feel free to choose between Telefónica and...well, that's it...I lived south of Rivadavia so no other option for me. I love their very efficient helpdesk 112, so much more efficient than Entel.

Also: I love the private, safe, cheap buses that replaced long-distance train services, that were privatized because they were inefficient.

Back