New American Breakfast Restaurant!

Status Update: Randalls is really getting their act together. Had a great meal today and I'll be back for more!

It sounds like you guys should check out Magdalena's Party, on the corner of Costa Rica & Thames. It's a bar but they serve a brunch on Saturdays & Sundays. We were thoroughly impressed with the food & service, and price (especially as this weekend was 2 for 1 on breakfasts, which include a coffee and are no more than 45 pesos, IIRC).

They also have mimosas with fresh OJ (15 pesos, hello!) and bloody marys, and real maple syrup. Not a huge menu but it's got the basics with some nice touches and it's well-done.

Owned and operated by a group of young Canadian & American entrepreneurs, this is their 'side business' and it certainly provided a fix for the type of brunches I've been missing.

You can find them on fbook.

Lee said:
Well actually "basic" is an understatement.

Hire one of those talented and "cheap" website designers they have around BA and put together a KILLER site! You will be quite surprised at the business it will bring in I can assure you.

Money well spent indeed. :cool:

Best of luck.

If you can not serve hot food you don’t need more P O customers coming in leaving and telling other people about cold food.
"cheap"..... you always get what you pay for... the word is inexpensive..

Hi all,

Regarding BAFinance's experience, I have written to him privately to apologize and make up for the experience he had with his friend; it is not at all what I hope to provide.

As far as the website is concerned, yes, I am aware that "basic" is an understatement and as I mentioned I have a designer working on the next iteration.

We are also on Facebook; if you search for "Randall's" it should come up as the first hit under "Places."

Thanks for all your feedback and comments, everybody!

Marc

Hey Marc,

To reply publicly, thanks for following up with me! I really appreciate it. Per discussed, we'll be back.......And next time you'll hopefully have a review that has the doors breaking down with people!

texxaslonghorn said:
Speaking of American breakfast, have any of you heard of the bacon promotion at Denny's? I kid you not, one of their offerings is an ice-cream sunday with maple syrup and bacon on top! WTF? Why? That's one of the worst things I've ever hear of . . . .

Haha. I got the nerve to try the sundae with bacon and the waiter suggested hot fudge instead of maple syrup and it was quite good actually. But then again, I'm pregnant...

Brutal Breaky.....

so I finally went with some friends to Randall's today for a noon breakfast. We walked in to be greeted and handed a menu in English. We were one of three, or four guests in the entire place. The place was simple, with nothing particularly interesting about it except bright coloured walls and not so comfortable chairs.

The sweet Colombian waitress kept talking to us in English, even though we were two fluent expats and a local trying our best to know which language to converse in. We proceeded to order, excited about our "not-so-easy-to find" north american style menu.

Time check for the order: 1205. Time food arrived 1255.

The order: an omelet with bacon side, Pancakes and a BLT (for the local).
The smiling waitress was personable and continued to offer us more of the bottomless ice-tea, coke and coffee, but no one came to say there was anything strange about the almost hour wait. By this time there were no other patrons left inside...so it was not as if the kitchen was "slammed".

The food finally arrives. we are slightly irritated, but taking it all in stride as the payoff of a hearty breakfast was still to come. Right?

Sadly, no.
The pancakes were uncooked. I mean "batter, batter batter." my friend ate the cooked edges, covered them in the maple syrup and focused on the fruit salad which came with it.

The omelette was completely uneventful, but the bacon was decent enough.
The BLT was so tiny, we each took turns checking to verify if indeed it contained any of the three crucial ingredients.

The only lifesaver was a side order of fries.

Not sure i would go back. It had the feel of going to a really lame party at a nice guy's house. You could see they were trying, but if the idea was to specialize and go for a niche market, they just missed the mark and failed to deliver. The total price for this misadventure was 197 pesos.

I'm sorry but 46 pesos for 5 pancakes plus 10 peso more for maple syrup is not a realistic breakfast option, even in BA. This is not a four star restaurant, you can do better with less money.

Back