New Koreatown: Markets & Restaurants (suggestions + pics)

You made me laugh Nikad.I saw your post from way back then. I contemplated for about 10 seconds whether to pick up on it again and decided that I would feel worse if something happened to anyone and I had not spoken up .

Thanks for bumping this thread. Interesting stuff and a couple of odd arguments, but, oh well... I am going there as soon as I return to BA which should be in half a year or something

In Floresta as mentioned you could take the A line to the end (Carabobo) but this will leave you a bit of a walk. For the Flores K town you can take the E line to Medalla Milagrosa and walk down Carabobo towards Castañares.

And, yes, both have tofu.

thanks Pauper, I did read it's in Floresta but I didn't know how to get there.

Subte A sounds d . I prefer buses though . Check omnilineas.com.ar what bus leaves you closest.

A word of advice re security. If you are fairly new to BA and not only new to the forum go during the day . Koreatown does have a reputation and some of it deserved and almost none of it to do with the Korean residents.
I go almost everywhere but when people tell me it is unsafe I take precautions in the sense that I know my routes by heart so I do not need to look like a foreigner ,so I can walk at a good clip signalling to get out of my way etc.
Any barrio is unsafe where you make yourself look like a target.

Thanks for answering the public transport question!

I am from a large city in the U.S., and to me, it is common sense that if I am going anywhere new by myself to go in the daytime and know my way around (in addition to other things, like not wearing flashy things and making sure to carry my purse close to me). I do realize, however, that this does not seem to be common sense for many people who are either blissfully ignorant or mentally vacant.

This isn't to say that bad things don't happen to people that take every precaution, but all of the efforts (by nearly everyone I speak to either in person or online) to scare me into not leaving my apartment are tiring.

This isn't to say that bad things don't happen to people that take every precaution, but all of the efforts (by nearly everyone I speak to either in person or online) to scare me into not leaving my apartment are tiring.
I like your healthy skepticism. Well, this city definitely has different layers, I know that I probably won't encounter any problems in Flores and Floresta while being cautious (I am very cautious by nature, which I think has saved my ass in sketchy parts of Latin America, on a couple of occasions) but if you end up too much towards the south it's a whole different story already. Mataderos, Liniers are a bit more sketchy, and Villa Lugano, for instance, is definitely dangerous in my opinion, even when you are not carrying anything of value.

Every time I saw Mataderos from the highway when coming from Ezeiza, I definitely felt glad the bus would not drop me off there. But there are also nice parts.... definitely very unpredictable.

So, I think that many complaints about the many supposed dangers on the streets of BA are exaggerated, and I have never really felt unsafe in regular areas. But I definitely won't cross into Dock Sud, and I have to admit I feel very uncomfortable in La Boca, even during daylight. At the same time, I have also been in Nueva Pompeya and many parts of Barracas and I felt absolutely fine there, just knowing that I was not carrying an expensive camera and crazy Rolex watch.

And believe me, I have done some stupid stuff too, like all people who gradually made this place their home.

http://es.wikipedia....iki/Isla_Maciel

And this is like a small piece of Congo:
http://avellaneda.clarin.com/ciudad/Senalan-autopista-Plata-Dock-Sud_0_856114388.html

Glad you mentioned that because that is not my intention whatsoever ! I will go to the Bolivian market next weekend. You should hear the warnings on that one... :lol: .

I go every sunday to barrio korea (carabobo) and it is a dangerous place because it finish at a very dangerous villa (av. Castanares). I describe dangerous: there are paco homeless all around. So, dont be stupid enough to show off an i-phone.

The 2 best restaurants are one on balbastro and the other one on sarasa, both 10 mts from carabobo. You pay about 100 pesos and it includes the picaditas, korean asado and fish soup. Those restaurant are for koreans so the food might be super spicy. At the restaurant at balbastro they usually include in the picadita crab shashimi, sesame leaves, cucumber kimchi, oden, among many other sides.

Regarding the "new korean barrio", it s called avenida avellaneda. Barrio korea is around carabobo.
Av avellanera is safe, great for clothes shopping and yes, the restaurants are hidden. They are inside commercial galeries. I ate there pork asado on honey for 3 for 220 pesos with picaditas, drinks and coffe. Here is not so abundant like in carabobo.

Another option is bi won on junin close to corrientes. Forget about spicy food there.

I suggest you buy korean tofu at bk, it delicious but cost double than the chinese. You can also but korean oden there.

Regards

Pd: regarding the racist comment about cats, sex and garlic: i just asked my wife's friends who are having dinner at home about if koreans eat cats and they laugh a lot about that.
I ate many unusual things at the traditional market in seoul but i didn t see cat neither. I guess that it is true that racism and ignorance are two faces of the same coin.

A little off the topic..but in Filipinos eat dog meat, quite often. And I know this pretty sure. ( I am not a Filipino though).

Back