New Policy at Starbucks, No Purchase necessary...

The good thing about Starbucks is it does not smell of fried stuff. Frankly, I don't understand why so many hate it with such passion. Why is it? Anyone, please, enlighten me....! Seems like a pretty bland franchise chain.
SB problem is that is executive management is too actively involved in politics. Liberal politics. By taking that approach in the USA, they therefore piss off much of the country. Religion and politics don't mix; nor does business and politics. Only foolish management would alienate tens of millions of potential customers.

The good thing about Starbucks is it does not smell of fried stuff. Frankly, I don't understand why so many hate it with such passion. Why is it? Anyone, please, enlighten me....! Seems like a pretty bland franchise chain.

I simply do not like the taste of the coffee beans used by Starbucks at Alto Palermo in their lattes. And as an expat chat goer pointed out, they utilize powder milk. So the nearby alternative, when attending the chat group, is to purchase a latte from the McCafe. Having said that, when I am in Calif, I neither patronize Starbucks or McCafe....and my choice has nothing to do with their political views. Just a matter of taste!

Last edited:
Not if their locations become a safe house for mendigos and druggies.

Hawkers, beggars and a the occassional drunks and "druggies" are a familiar scene in the outdoor areas of many cafes in CABA. And that includes the public area in front of Starbucks Alto Palermo. I respectfully say no, muchas gracias when they approach our "coffee chat table"....and they move on. There was an occassion this month when I was approached by a malcontent passerby who appeared to be high on something. He made a confrontational attempt to engage me in a conversation about "you foreigners inundating my city". I calmy replied in castellano...."you have had your say, now please move on". He insisted so I slammed my hand on the table and exclaimed "en esta mesa la que mando soy yo". He moved on muttering to himself. Uncommon, yes, but it does happen.

And as an expat chat goer pointed out, they utilize powder milk.

This part is false, you can see the milk they use because they pour it directly from the cartons, the same cartons you buy at the grocery store.

This part is false, you can see the milk they use because they pour it directly from the cartons, the same cartons you buy at the grocery store.
I may have been the one to whom G was referring. If so, the misunderstanding was when I said that Starbucks at Alto Palermo uses that crappy, way over-processed boxed milk. It tastes terrible and ruins lattes and cappuccinos.

In my opinion it does taste like reconstituted powdered milk, and I wouldn’t be surprised to find that as a component.

It's processed exactly the same way as the milk you buy in bags. The extended shelf life is just due to the aseptic packaging. There is no powdered milk involved.

Back