New procedure at EZE, Immigration.

dennisr

Registered
Went through EZE immigration this AM: entry. Everyone getting a thumb print scanned, passport scanned and a mug shot. Usual form was handed back to me, not required as I understood it. New thing for me.

Think what they scanned was the bar code on the AR tourist visa thing that is good for 10 years.

dennisr said:
Went through EZE immigration this AM: entry. Everyone getting a thumb print scanned, passport scanned and a mug shot. Usual form was handed back to me, not required as I understood it. New thing for me.
I know you say "entry" but were you arriving or departing EZE? I arrived EZE yesterday and all seemed SOP although entering with my DNI did seem to take a lot longer than usual.

Whenever an official says some new procedure will make every thing go faster it really means it will make it go a lot slower. I'd love to be wrong with this. Here's a quote from some unknown future date: "Arrivals were horrible today; only two of the fourteen thumb scanners were operable so the lines were incredibly backed up".

surfing said:
I know you say "entry" but were you arriving or departing EZE? I arrived EZE yesterday and all seemed SOP although entering with my DNI did seem to take a lot longer than usual.

I'll bet entry means entering the country and of couse migraciones already has fingerprints and photos of anyone who enters with a DNI. Scanning passports is nothing new.

Why do you think they want the photo and thumb print? Could it make it easier to identify visa violators in the future? I had a chat on Skype today with a freind in CF. He thinks the anti-foreign sentiment is growing and there may be more strict enforcement of migracion law in the near future. He is applying for citizenship as he fears even his permanent residency could someday be revolked.

surfing said:
Whenever an official says some new procedure will make every thing go faster it really means it will make it go a lot slower. I'd love to be wrong with this. Here's a quote from some unknown future date: "Arrivals were horrible today; only two of the fourteen thumb scanners were operable so the lines were incredibly backed up".

That is kind of funny for me. My experience today was one of amazement, through immigration, customs in 30 minutes. A world record for this Gomer. Baggage was on the belt when I cleared immigration. This is not a fairy tale.

steveinbsas said:
I'll bet entry means entering the country and of couse migraciones already has fingerprints and photos of anyone who enters with a DNI. Scanning passports is nothing new.

Why do you think they want the photo and thumb print? Could it make it easier to identify visa violators in the future? I had a chat on Skype today with a freind in CF. He thinks the anti-foreign sentiment is growing and there may be moe strict enforcement of migracion law in the near future.
Of course that makes total sense: they need scapegoats.

So, as a foreigner I want to officially apologize for causing all of Argentina's problems. I was especially diabolical in creating runaway inflation and the Once train crash.

I'm sorry; I was wrong; It won't happen again.

steveinbsas said:

Why do you think they want the photo and thumb print? Could it make it easier to identify visa violators in the future? I had a chat on Skype today with a freind in CF. He thinks the anti-foreign sentiment is growing and there may be moe strict enforcement of migracion law in the near future.
That wouldn't surprise me in the least as yet another step backwards towards isolation.
Geez!

I think you vastly overestimate the efficiencies and planning capabilities of migraciones if you think something is going to be done with that data. Those fingerprint scans are probably going to be dumped in some data file and forgotten. It's just the new and high-tech version of the thousands of entry slips that got dumped in some actual warehouse until now.

And anti-foreigner sentiment, I hardly worry. Even those countries that are not exactly "pro-foreigner", it's easy to visit. And Argentina needs tourist monies (from all countries). I hardly think an impending crackdown is coming where foreigners will be denied entry.

Maybe for "permatourists", there might be more difficulty staying here for years and years. But again, I've been reading posts by people on here about that happening for on near 5 years and I have yet to hear of 1 person being denied entry or exported (except for those "friend of a friend" stories posed by a newcomer who vanishes after stirring the hornet's nest). But that seems a logical place that they'll look - esp if they want to get their hands on any income generated by those permatourists since you are supposed to be filing taxes here if you're here longer than 6 months ;)

Back