New procedure at EZE, Immigration.

steveinbsas said:
Why do you think they want the photo and thumb print? Could it make it easier to identify visa violators in the future? I had a chat on Skype today with a freind in CF. He thinks the anti-foreign sentiment is growing and there may be moe strict enforcement of migracion law in the near future. He is applying for citizenship as he fears even his permanent residency could someday be revolked.

I believe that the biggest issue/advantage in this country is the lack of law enforcement. The K administration has made it their goal and their are working on it, not only at Immigration, regarding taxes too among other topics
So, yes, now to stay under the radar is going to be more difficult and the whole thing about the "Colonia Run" is changing from useless to a jeopardy.
Regards

They've been doing this in the US for awhile. Not every time, but your first entry if you've never done it before. Scan passport, take photo, take fingerprints...

Not that anyone should emulate US border patrol. More reciprocity, I suppose :D

citygirl said:
Maybe for "permatourists", there might be more difficulty staying here for years and years. But again, I've been reading posts by people on here about that happening for on near 5 years and I have yet to hear of 1 person being denied entry or exported (except for those "friend of a friend" stories posed by a newcomer who vanishes after stirring the hornet's nest).

I know someone who was denigned entry when trying to get on the boat in coloina, however she then tried again the next day and had no problems.. She had been on tourist visa for years, had a deportation order against her, but was in and out of the country a couple of times a year.

I wonder if all this scanning and finger printing is to do with the chip technology they are putting in the passports these day. For NZ we dont do finger printing, but i know of other countries that do - brazil being one, not that i have ever been finger printed there, maybe it was just for USA passport holders, but i did see some people being finger printed about 3 years ago, but maybe they dont do it anymore as i cant recall it being done last time i went to sao paulo.

There was some talk a while back that AR wanted to get back on the VWP again. Long shot, but maybe these changes are to prep for that.

2GuysInPM said:
There was some talk a while back that AR wanted to get back on the VWP again. Long shot, but maybe these changes are to prep for that.
I can't see that happening in this climate of increasingly chilly relations.

There's been talk of adding Chile and Brazil. I think Argentina actually has a very high level of visa acceptance(? not sure what you call it) and few people overstaying. But the US tends to use the VWP as a political carrot to get what they want. And Argentina will never get in until they settle all those cases outstanding from the debt default.

I walked through the door at Aeroparque without a stamp and left at EZE with an salida stamp(with no entry stamp that is)

So I wouldn't worry so much :')

surfing said:
Of course that makes total sense: they need scapegoats.

So, as a foreigner I want to officially apologize for causing all of Argentina's problems. I was especially diabolical in creating runaway inflation and the Once train crash.

I'm sorry; I was wrong; It won't happen again.

Haha. On behalf of Argentina. You are forgiven. You see! It's easy.

I don't think this is some nefarious plot to keep foreigners out. Immigration here is very liberal compared to many countries. Practically every economic policy of late - tightening the fx markets, restricting imports, YPF, etc has a common theme, which is trying to keep a favorable current account. Keeping out foreigners if its tourists, "perma-tourists", temporary residents, whatever would take dollars out of Argentina, which would put additionally pressure on the peso, not what the gov't wants.

MikeB12 said:
I don't think this is some nefarious plot to keep foreigners out. Immigration here is very liberal compared to many countries. Practically every economic policy of late - tightening the fx markets, restricting imports, YPF, etc has a common theme, which is trying to keep a favorable current account. Keeping out foreigners if its tourists, "perma-tourists", temporary residents, whatever would take dollars out of Argentina, which would put additionally pressure on the peso, not what the gov't wants.

I agree with this. The first sign of any real change will be denying Brits entry, but I don't think that will have anything to do with dollars.

Back