New rentista visa requirements

I can tell you I had an account with HSBC for 3 years, then the AFIP made a mistake with my DNI number and to cut a long story short, just emptied my account with out an warning. Even though it was their mistake I had to pay for their lawyer go to court several times and 10 months later still have not had the funds re credited to my account. In the end the cost of doing all of this outweighed the money they had stolen and I told my accountant to stop trying.

As far as Immigration is concerned, though I was on a different visa, I was told on my second years renewal to buy a hotel, I though it was a joke, but third and final year the messed me around for 3 weeks and then said I wasn't employing enough people and give me 24 hours to leave the country. As I'd already based my self in Colonia it didn't cause me a problem. I think what I'm trying to say is any government department make and change the rules on a daily basis, you can never win...................................

treborbb said:
...final year the messed me around for 3 weeks and then said I wasn't employing enough people and give me 24 hours to leave the country. As I'd already based my self in Colonia it didn't cause me a problem. I think what I'm trying to say is any government department make and change the rules on a daily basis, you can never win...

Wow, so sorry to read about all these troubles. Can you tell me when you were given the 24 hrs to vacate the country?

In January I flagged as permatourist and was given the 30 day notice (mentioned in the new laws in the other thread) to sort out my residency situation. Thankfully I already had my paperwork requested, and worked with a lawyer to get a rentista visa (under the old income requirement). I wish I could understand the true motivation of why this is being done. Unfortunately, I think it just spells increasing problems for Argentina.

MizzMarr said:
Wow, so sorry to read about all these troubles. Can you tell me when you were given the 24 hrs to vacate the country?

In January I flagged as permatourist and was given the 30 day notice (mentioned in the new laws in the other thread) to sort out my residency situation. Thankfully I already had my paperwork requested, and worked with a lawyer to get a rentista visa (under the old income requirement). I wish I could understand the true motivation of why this is being done. Unfortunately, I think it just spells increasing problems for Argentina.

I think you're the only person I've heard about who has been flagged as a permatourist. Can you let us know more about how it happened? What exactly did they tell you?

Thanks!

Sleuth said:
I think you're the only person I've heard about who has been flagged as a permatourist. Can you let us know more about how it happened? What exactly did they tell you?

Thanks!

Hey. Sure, I can give you more information. My partner and I both faithfully crossed the border every 90 days to keep our visas "in the white" (much to the chagrin of other expat friends of ours who have overstayed indefinitely and never caught heat for it) for the better part of 4 years. When we crossed in october (Colonia) the border agent hassled my partner about the number of stamps, and threatened that next time he would not be let in. We prefer Carmelo, and hoped it was a "low-key" place to cross, as opposed to Colonia. Anyway, when we crossed the border in January (this was from Carmelo, Uruguay back into the Tigre port) the border agents said that we had "too many stamps" and that we were obviously not tourists (technical label was "turista falsa") and that we had 30 days to get our residency paperwork in order. They entered our address into the system, and wrote "30 dias" on the stamp that was put into our passports. I have a friend of a friend who works in migraciones, and she confirmed with me that after 15 days our names were, indeed, entered into the migraciones computer system.

Thankfully I had already requested all my paperwork--my birth certificate was apostilled and translated and my FBI background check was enroute. If I hadn't requested all of this already I would never have made the 30 days. Because we have a business that is established in the States, with the help of our lawyer I was able to submit an application for the rentista visa, which was subsequently approved (after a few rounds of apostilled official paperwork submission in May). My partner, who was also flagged at the time, did not have his paperwork at the ready. He stayed in the country past his visa expiration, but nobody came knocking at the door. He submitted his paperwork in June, and it is currently in revision. It did not matter that his visa had expired, and he did not need to request a prorroga. We are waiting to see if the old or new laws apply to his application.

Prior to applying for the rentista visa, while we were examining our options, our lawyers did tell us that if we wanted to leave the country on the current 30 day visa we were given that we would NOT be granted access back into the country for six months and one day. If we were to leave the country and return in just over six months, we would be eligible for another 90 day tourist visa. There was also a dirty border agent who was willing to give the new stamp to the passport for $800 (US)--too steep for us. For what it's worth, if a new agent stamps over the old "warning" stamp, the old stamp is ineffectual. Also important to know is if we had "lost" our passports before being flagged (or even not crossed faithfully, resulting in fewer stamps) this would likely have never happened. It was the sheer number of crossing stamps that caught the attention of the border guards, not anything electronically entered into the system.

My attorney also said that the same laws one applied under for a visa continue to apply (are grandfathered in?) when the visa is due for renewal. This may or may not be true, I think the laws change day by day. At least I have a year to see how this unfolds. I have since heard of this "false tourist" thing happening to at least a couple of other people. It is my understanding that the crackdown is happening due to the laws that changed in mid-December 2009, so my bet is that we'll be seeing a lot more of this kind of thing.

Does anyone know exactly what the new law says. I was told at immigration by a supervisor that i had to have a letter from an accountant saying i will receive an "income of US$2000 per month or more for the next year" and signed by an accountant.

How can someone say you will get a certain amount in the future ?.

Davon--income for the rentista visa is "passive", meaning you have a trust fund, earn income from property interest, rents, etc., that is not dependent on salary. I hope that helps.

davonz said:
Does anyone know exactly what the new law says. I was told at immigration by a supervisor that i had to have a letter from an accountant saying i will receive an "income of US$2000 per month or more for the next year" and signed by an accountant.

How can someone say you will get a certain amount in the future ?.

You need to learn the distinction between active and passive income.

MizzMarr said:
Davon--income for the rentista visa is "passive", meaning you have a trust fund, earn income from property interest, rents, etc., that is not dependent on salary. I hope that helps.

And whether immigrations told you or not, your accountant must also specify (if not certify) the source of the funds. That was in the list from migraciones that you posted yesterday.

Did you understand my translation?

What "source of income" did you cite to get the visa in the first place?

davonz said:
Since you are incapable of doing any research on your own, despite my repeated attempts to point you to the solution to your problem, I am posting the income requirements of a rentista visa here.
The applicant must prove that he or she has a guaranteed income of $8000 pesos monthly and that this income can be transferred to an Argentine bank. This income can include an annuity, receipts from a trust, distributions from a business you own, etc. You must simply prove that the income is not tied to job located abroad and that the income will continue once you relocate to Argentina.
This was taken directly from the ARCA website, the very same lawyers i have repeatedly told you about since you brought up your renewal problem on this forum a month ago. It is highly curious to me why you are so resistive to the fact that you need professional legal assistance. And just to clarify for you once again, this type of income is not a "new" requirement and is not in a "new" law. The only thing that changed for a rentista visa in the past month is the amount of income. From AR$2600 to AR$8000 per month. Once again, i highly suggest you stop looking for an easy solution to your problem and instead get focused on getting your required documents in order.

I agree with you. I don´t understand why don´t you get a lawyer.

There is a new requirement: You must prove that the money is legal.

The difference between passive and active income is not important because the law accepts both.

Regards

Bajo_cero2 said:
The difference between passive and active income is not important because the law accepts both.

Are you sure?

Active income applies to someone who is actually working and receiving wages or a salary. Wouldn't someone with active income in Argentina need a work visa and need to be working for a company registered to business in Argentina?

If a person is living in Argentina and receiving income from a foreign company but is not working then the income would be dividends or shared profits. Both are passive sources of income and are acceptable for the visa rentista.

Back