Newbie Looking For Advice.

Welcome.
Solve the cash in hand equation first.
Cheap is not the right idea or motivation, the situation is circling the drain and can't see how it could improve or relax any time soon.
We're headed for interesting times.
U$D 850 will likely get you a single room appartment.

Am retired also. Forget residency, make quarterly runs to Miami for ca$h and peanut butter. You will be money ahead and your sanity will remain intact. Do not, repeat, do not rent an apartment in US dollars. Tell the landlord to pound sand if they want dollars. Shop around they can be had.

You may not need to travel for money/cash.
I use Xoom.com to transfer US$ from my US accounts to Argentina pesos locally at good conversion rates.

I'm curious about many things. 1) Intending to take out a long-term visa? What does that mean? You don't "take out" a visa. You either come as a tourist or get residency. 2) Have you been here before? 3) Are you aware of the political/economic situation here?

I will pass on the two contacts I saw had the most apts for your budget. And I think you can get a one bedroom for 850 if you avoid the websites that are blatantly for tourists.

I have no idea if this guy is any good- I know everyone on here seems to bash real estate agents. But realistically you have to deal with them. - His name is Jose. I never saw the apt but he had two for under 5200 pesos a month, furnished for six months (yes there are fees in addition). The other, I can't find her email but the agency is called Calot. They have tons of furnished apts and i met with someone from there who was nice (though in the end I never heard back from the main woman when I said what I was looking for)

another good option is do airbnb for your first month, you can get a studio for 6-850 dollars and a one bedroom from 850- up. I would recommend this even though its dollars as you use a credit card and there is recourse. I did this last week, after the duena promised the apt was super quiet and when I got the key it was next door to a huge obra. anyways, the benefit of airbnb is that you can cancel for legit reasons and you get your money back....anyway, good luck even though it seems a bit random and loosey goosey that you are just coming here without seemingly knowing much about it here...

JShuler:

I agree strongly with lucha54 and most of the subsequent posts. My advice echoes theirs, sorry I don't have much to add:

1. SUBTE. Don't overrate the subte. Yet it's fast. But it's often unpleasant, shuts down at 10:30-11pm, and has fewer stations requiring more walking. I used it everyday while living out in Belgrano and Nuñez and Villa Crespo, but now I live closer in (Botanico area) and strongly prefer the colectivo (buses). In certain areas, e.g. lower San Telmo/Barracas toward Parque Lezama, one has to walk toward "shadier" areas to catch the subte. The colectivos are wonderful.

2. BUENOS AIRES. Spend some hours reading the posts in this site over the last 6 month concerning the allegedly worsening political-economic situation here. You'll see many complaints and arguments about the rising prices, crime, garbage in the streets, corruption, and issues with porteño 'quirks' and the infrastructure. Then plan to visit for a month or two to see for yourself and decide if you really want to stay longer. Also know that many visitors arriving with a decent background/smattering of Spanish classes have big problems with the Rio Platense Castellano spoken here, at least initially.

3. WHERE TO LIVE. There are many "culturally diverse neighborhoods", perhaps not so ethnically diverse. San Telmo, Almagro, Villa Crespo, Boedo come to mind. But you just have to visit them and then decide--do NOT overanalyze nor try to decide these things virtually. Suggest pre-arrange your initial housing for 1-2 weeks using one of the temp agencies (bytargentina, 4rentargentina, welcome2ba). I suggest pick an initial area in Recoleta or Barrio Norte that's close-in and safe. Yes these areas are pricier and more tourist-oriented, perhaps less diverse, and yes, you're obviously a seasoned traveler, but we're only talking 1-2 weeks while you get your "BA legs" and check out your next potential home.

Suerte,
Jim

I think if the guy can deal with Thailand then Buenos Aires will be a walk in the park (I lived in Jakarta--if you complain about Argentine politics, traffic or getting things done, well try that city)*
If you want a nice, peaceful place to retire where everything is easy this isn´t the city for you. But it doesn´t sound like you are looking for this. New Orleans and Koreatown in LA are not easy places to live in, nor are they particularly safe.
If you want everyday to be an aventure, full of cultural opportunities, places to go out at night, art, beauty, this is the city for you.
The economy is unstable in many places, including Europe. The political situation is fine--there are no death squads running around last time I checked--and remember Argentines and expats love to complain!
The biggest problem you will deal with is that it is not cheap right now. We can argue about how not cheap or how not expensive, but you will find very little variation in prices--ie, grabbing some beers and food in a bar is about the same as eating in a nice resto (not fancy, nice). Very hard to go out for a cheap beer.

*when I lived in Jakarta I lived my first coup. I saw tanks roll down the street. I had to hide a friend in my apartment. I think people need to be careful about talking about "political situation".

Well, the political situation does matter to many of us as well as the economic situation. Personally I do have a lot of concerns about many of the restrictions this gov't has put into place. The OP may not (or you) which is all fine but my question is simply if he is aware of the current political/economic situation here. I didn't see anything in his post to indicate he had spent any time here before deciding to come down, hence my questions. There is a "political situation" here - just b/c it's not a coup doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

There are lots of great things about BsAs but I do always encourage people to have an idea of what they will be experiencing which isn't the "Paris of South America" or a "bargain hunters paradise" or a city filled with "great restaurants and bars" (to poke light fun at the Zagats style tour books that many use).

Back