Newbie Looking For Advice.

Do not, repeat, do not rent an apartment in US dollars. Tell the landlord to pound sand if they want dollars. Shop around they can be had.

Best advice I have read on baexpats (and there had been a lot of good advice)!

I ve been reading this forum since 2009. There is too much negativity in this forum. My humble opinion.

I, for one, really like it here "overall." I wish there was less litter in the streets. I wish that people would pick up their dog crap. I wish the government had a much better idea about how to manage the economy and how to manage the infrastructure. I wish I could find the pizza that I was used to back in The States, etc, etc.

That being said I think you'll be hard-pressed to find a more vibrant, cultural, happening city in South America than Buenos Aires. You might want to ask what people like about living here as well.

In my experience it's like having a Latina girlfriend. Yes, she's moody and jealous and and completely illogical and pouts and throws pots and pans at you when she's pissed and she has that weird religious/superstitious streak with the stuff about the herbs blessed by Jesus in the window warding off evil spirits. But when she's dressed to the nines and you take her out on the town and she's hanging on your arm and nibbling on your ear, every guy wishes he was you.

Good luck in your decision.

GS

That being said I think you'll be hard-pressed to find a more vibrant, cultural, happening city in South America than Buenos Aires.

Rio de Janeiro. So much more vibrant, ethnically diverse, etc. however traffic sucks. Two hours to get from barra de tijuca to Leblon the other week, and there weren't any floods, events, oddities etc. that's just how it is, every bloody day. If cheap is not a necessity after Bangkok, Rio might be more up your alley. Security isn't as much of an issue as it used to be either, you can live in Barra if that's a real concern, or Lagoas, Leblon otherwise. But yes, more expensive than BA. My husbands there for work every few months and can't stand the traffic, and neither could I last visit, and it will never improve because of geographical limitations, in fact they really aren't doing much to upgrade transport before world cup/ Olympics, so I think it's going to be a disaster.

For the OP, if you have the option to come for 6 months without too much commitment, come, rent for a couple of months each in a few different neighborhoods and see what you think. It is getting expensive here, lots of things on par or more expensive than the USA for instance. And if you're on a fixed income you may end up deciding that it's not for you for that reason. Health insurance is cheaper than the USA but there's really no regulations for the private insurers as to how often they can raise rates and by how much, so when you sign onto a plan you need to be aware that your rate will be hiked by about 20% or more 3 times a year.

I don't know Thailand so can't speak to day to day cost of living, but there have been a few on the board who have made the move or were/are considering the move from there to here, in fact I think one of the posters was called BangkoktoBA. You might want to do a search on the forum for Thailand or Bangkok and see who these members are and contact them directly to see what their thoughts are based on similar backgrounds. Good luck!

In my experience it's like having a Latina girlfriend. Yes, she's moody and jealous and and completely illogical and pouts and throws pots and pans at you when she's pissed and she has that weird religious/superstitious streak with the stuff about the herbs blessed by Jesus in the window warding off evil spirits. But when she's dressed to the nines and you take her out on the town and she's hanging on your arm and nibbling on your ear, every guy wishes he was you.
This summary of Latina girlfriends couldn't possibly be more complete. Although I haven't read anything about the hot sex yet (usually followed by moody and jealous behaviour and several pots and pans).

I wanted to comment that if you are between Mexico City and BA, you made a good choice. I lived in Mexico City for a year and a half, and let me tell you, it was not a nice city. If you think BA is dangerous, it is nothing compared to Mexico City. The pollution in the city is stifling, and the sky is constantly gray. There is interesting food, and some things to do, but it's nothing compared to what there is to do in BA. I know BA is bureaucratic and there are problems with services, but Mexico City is ten times worse. The subway in Mexico City is great and expansive, but incredibly dangerous. The traffic is worse. The buses you use are horribly old and dilapidated (and short, something someone like me who is tall despises). The traffic is some of the worst in the world if you have to go somewhere. There are only a few nicer places to go in the city. BA, however, does have some charming things to see and do. It is not a perfect city by a long shot, but there are worse choices. BA is expensive, but not much more so than Mexico City. I can't think that if you want to live in a modern, cosmopolitan city, that there are many better ones than BA in South America (maybe Santiago, but never lived there, or beach cities, ever thought about the beach?).

There was a thread awhile back about different neighborhoods. Can't find it at the moment. I can speak for Recoleta, Puerto Madero, Palermo, Palermo Soho/Hollywood/Queens, Belgrano, and Nuñez. I've lived and or worked in them all.

Recoleta is a fading jewel. Fashionable buildings and streets. Lots of the fashion shops have left since the embargo on imported goods. At night it can be pretty empty.

Puerto Madero is a literal island of steel, glass, chrome and gated complexes with private pools. If you own an Audi, Mercedes, or Land Rover you are required by law to live there (just kidding). I don't think any buses go there and no subways so you'll have to taxi everywhere. Decent place to hang out on an occasional Saturday or Sunday.

Palermo is very central with lots of parks shops, restaurants, etc. I personally think it's a nice place to hang out but is a bit overrated. Easy access to buses and subway.

Palermo Hollywood is going through a gentrification. Generally, the prices of property there is a bit less than SoHo but starting to catch up. It has some hip restaurants but can be dark at night. Easy access to buses and subway.

Palermo Soho. Trendy, hip shopping, restaurants, and apartments / houses. On the more expensive side of neighborhoods here. Easy access to buses and subway. Note - there is no Houston Street so don't waste time trying to figure out what SoHo means.

Palermo Queens is the "poorer" side of Avenida Cordoba from Palermo SoHo. Not as many high rise apartments. Working class neighborhood.

Belgrano is the more expensive of these areas generally (except Puerto Madero). This neighborhood straddles Avenida Cabildo with fashionable shops and living. Easy access to buses and subway.

Nuñez is a bit further out of the city center than Belgrano. Parks, town houses, low-rise / high-rise mix. Pretty good access to subway but you are at the end of the line (Congresso). That's about a 40-minute ride to downtown in rush hour.

Other areas of the city I've heard good things about are Saavedra and Caballito. Both are supposed to have more of a neighborhood feel than you might find in the Palermos. I live in Belgrano and still feel like I live in the middle of the city, except we are easily 30 minutes by subway and 45 minutes by bus to micro-centro.

Buenos Aires is not so much of a high city as it is a wide city. The footprint is huge. High-rise apartment buildings dominate the skyline all the way to Nuñez.

Other's will probably have things to add including micro-areas within the neighborhoods I just mentioned. Overall, the bus system here is extensive, easy, and almost free (now at less than $2AR = .40US at the official rate).

Hope this helps.

GS

Back