News In The Usa Is Argentina Might Default Again

A lesson in perspective for us all:
To my dear friends and family, living in the "democratic"/western world As I am currently in Ukraine, quite close to the events that are unfolding at the moment (our office is 2 blocks away from the first barricades) and although I moved to, I believe and hope, a safer place away enough from Kiev's center where the events are happening, I have been thinking quite a bit about what these events meant and felt I should share, succinctly, my thoughts with you. Many of us complain often about the situation in our countries, about the bad politicians, about the economy, etc... here, these people on EuroMaidan (where the protests are taking place) are fighting for their basic freedom. After two months of peaceful protest, Ukraine just passed laws that will send to jail (for up to 15 years) any person protesting outside of governmental buildings... which basically means all these protestors are now up for long jail terms. This is what sparked the rise in violence these last few days. Ukraine is not yet Syria or any of these other places where years of war have a heavy human toll, there are "only" 2 to 5 dead people so far, but I am right now sitting with these people (whom I have been spending a lot of time with for the last few years and several of them I now consider close friends) sharing their worries and fears. It is heartbreaking and a stark reminder of how lucky we are, despite our discontent, to live in a "free" society. I am dreaming of a peaceful and democratic denouement for Ukraine and my Ukrainian friends.
you get the propaganda prize for the day. Congratulations.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wEKviJYIlJ4

Peaceful protestors don't set fire to human beings. That's attempted murder. Try rioting in the streets in the united states or Europe and throw a Molotov cocktail on a living breathing police officer. You will be shot dead on site and it will be considered self defense for the police. A justifiable killing. These paid rioters are trying to incite violence. I personally hope they are all put in prison for attempted murder.

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=wEKviJYIlJ4

Peaceful protestors don't set fire to human beings.

I think we can all agree that this is not a peaceful protest, but a full uprising. I think the problem here is that the Ukraine is a divided nation, with the ethnic Russians on the East wanting closer ties with Russia, and the ethnic Ukrainians wanting nothing to do with their former Russian overlords. This escalation of violence is not surprising considering that the video bellow depicts the typical Ukranian national past-time, the Mahach.

I think we can all agree that this is not a peaceful protest, but a full uprising. I think the problem here is that the Ukraine is a divided nation, with the ethnic Russidoen the East wanting closer ties with Russia, and the ethnic Ukrainians wanting nothing to do with their former Russian overlords. This escalation of violence is not surprising considering that the video bellow depicts the typical Ukranian national past-time, the Mahach.

its much more complicated than that. But you are correct that the nationalist neo Nazi svobodas want nothing to do with Russia or with an independent Ukraine, they want to sell her out to NATO for personal, economic and political gain. Nothing more. They had their chance in 2005 already. They were proven to be worse and more corrupt than the current government. That is why they lost the most recent elections. And since they lost the elections, violence is their only weapon now. We will not allow it to happen again. No amount of cheap western propaganda will will change that.

What you call uprising, I call a western backed attempted coup. It will fail. As it is failing in Syria, as it is failing in Iraq. The time for NATO backed coups or more pleasantly sounding " color revolutions " is at an end. What do Ukraine and Syria have in common? They both house very important Russian military bases. NATO wants them closed. My apologies to the propagandists, but that's not going to happen. No fake " uprisings, color revolutions, fights for freedom," or whatever other colorful euphemism you want to use for NATO backed coup will change that.

For about 5 years I have been hearing that the economy is going to crash in Argentina. . . I think there are more wishes for it to crash than actual reasons. It would be great if people could think of positive solutions and alternative economies rather than wishing for things to get worse.
For an economy in the tank, it is very hard to get a spot in my favorite sushi place!
Maybe there's a wish for it to crash so we can get closure and rebuild.
Living here is sometimes akin to being in suspended animation.

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=wEKviJYIlJ4

Peaceful protestors don't set fire to human beings. That's attempted murder. Try rioting in the streets in the united states or Europe and throw a Molotov cocktail on a living breathing police officer. You will be shot dead on site and it will be considered self defense for the police. A justifiable killing. These paid rioters are trying to incite violence. I personally hope they are all put in prison for attempted murder.

what about the police preparing and throwing Molotov cocktails at the protestors?

FFCDB35631E1E88FC7BD89DF816AF6_h450_w598_m2_q90_cEejbFbWj.jpg

http://news.howzit.msn.com/news-in-pics/ukraine-unrest-turns-deadly-49?page=5#image=5

Maybe there's a wish for it to crash so we can get closure and rebuild.
Living here is sometimes akin to being in suspended animation.
what country in the world ISNT living in suspended animation? They are all in the exact same boat. Some just hide it better than others. The song is about to end, for everyone.

Reactions: Joe
what country in the world ISNT living in suspended animation? They are all in the exact same boat. Some just hide it better than others. The song is about to end, for everyone.

I agree with you on that. It is just that the anesthetic in Argentina is running out faster than elsewhere.

Sinuous thread!

I think this is a rather facile conclusion, Jack. While there are certainly plenty of countries with simmering divisive issues, certain specific countries are at far greater risk for exploding into civil war. Countries such as Ukraine, Egypt, Yemen, CAR... have paricularly explosive combinations of poverty, unemployment and tattered social safety nets that make them acutely prone to sectarian divisions that other similarly ethnic/religiously diverse countries are not facing.

While I agree that Montauk's post blissfully skips over the complexities of the situation in Ukraine, it does however make a salient point about the current differences between Ukraine and Argentina. You could lose a tonne of money betting on Argentina or Brazil erupting into 2001-style crises, but Ukraine heading there is a pretty safe bet. What never ceases to amaze me is that people who were here a dozen years ago can't see the difference.

g20_protest_1384673c.jpg

So you expect the police to just sit their and let themselves be set on fire? What would happen in that little pirate island england if and when rioters were to get violent? Do the police just turn the other cheek? Right. Spare me the rhetoric.

Back