No Gas In Our Building For The Next Three Months!

...Yep, it was pretty hard to see the slooowww moving workers do their thing in the street. Every hour, seemed like they were taking a coffee break...

It is important to realize that this is how Arge works (or not). I never knew not being a member of the major culture group in a country could
actually be a cause for employers to want to hire you before moving here.

The good thing about the situation is that when an Argentine tells you the work will be completed in 3 months, then it will be really completed in 3 months. B)
Frenchie are you joking? 3=6, 6=12 and 12=never.
Arlean=time to move.

I get why they have to turn off the gas, but I guess I'm struggling with why its going to be 3 months? What in the world could take so long?

I get why they have to turn off the gas, but I guess I'm struggling with why its going to be 3 months? What in the world could take so long?

I just finished watching the civil works upgrade along San Martin in centro. I walked along there 3-4 times a week and it took them over 4 months to do three blocks.

I worked as a construction engineer doing civil infrastructure upgrades before I moved here. The worksite along San Martin was not even bordering criminal, it was a clear breach of industry standard (in my country anyway) and safety regulations (with respect to duty of care to both workers and the public). Bobcats and concrete pours were going on whilst children and other pedestrians just walked through the site. They even had vehicular traffic from Av Corrientes driving through there at some stages. It was a tragedy waiting to happen. There was no sequencing of works - they had workfaces opened up everywhere that they just never seemed to finish. No planning at all, crews just seemed to turn up in the morning and start working wherever.
Finally they finished and the pavers are already starting to lift on the sidewalk. I don't think I saw one plate compactor there the whole time.

I was asking myself the whole time: "What the deuce is taking so long!?!?".

I couldn't fathom what was taking so long, even when they were doing the job so half arsedly and unsafely. That usually accelerates things.
It actually made me angry. :mad: :mad: :mad:

I swear, construction here is a make-work project, not like the New Deal kind, but they make it take so damn long to keep people employed, making money, and by time they finish something else is ready to be fixed/rebuilt/constructed.

When I was living suburban Vicente Lopez there was a house having an addition added to it across the street. Besides the fact this was a small house we were talking about, and the addition was 2-3 rooms or so, they didn't even have the frame done after 2 months when I finally moved downtown. They had 3-4 guys a day working on it and it honestly looked like at times they just went there to smoke cigarettes, chat about football, and drink beer/mate.

We should have known that even if the HSR funds made it to the ground instead of being untraceable there would be no train from BA to Rosario or Cordoba before 2050. Anything less is wishful thinking/based on a 100% non-Argentine work crews...

I'm thinking Ghost is right. I think that when I return from Chile it will be time to move--unless I have gas on my return. I LOVE my neighborhood and I really don't want to do that BUT . . . . my new DNI was supposed to come in two months and it was more than four. My passport was supposed to come this week and it's Friday. We shall see if it makes it today. .

Back