Noise From Demolition Next Door - How Early Can They Start?

Nikad, you are probably right! I'm just really comfortable here... At least I have the flexibility of the temporary rental. Maybe I'll just go from temporary to temporary so that I can escape whenever new construction starts jaja!

How does one get a temporary rental in pesos?

I know someone whose living room wall collapsed during demolition next door. Apparently, the workers just kept hammering away at the building until they hit air.

I know someone whose living room wall collapsed during demolition next door. Apparently, the workers just kept hammering away at the building until they hit air.

Some 25 years ago, they demolished a building next to my in-laws' apartment in Congreso. On Saturday, when we wanted to sleep a little later than usual, it felt like a major earthquake, as the entire building shook and things fell off our shelves. I can live with earthquakes, which are mercifully brief, but this really bothered me.

How does one get a temporary rental in pesos?
I didn't have a problem getting that. We first were in contact over AirBnB, then took the contact off the website (the key is to write something like "please contact me at my full name AT the server that starts with a G"), I asked for a peso price and a discount for renting several months. The first contract was for four months, now we are month by month. They did raise the rent after the first six months but I was OK with that seeing how everything else goes up as well. They have never asked to be paid in dollars or anything and since the contract was always in pesos there was no talk of blue rate or anything.

I didn't have a problem getting that. We first were in contact over AirBnB, then took the contact off the website (the key is to write something like "please contact me at my full name AT the server that starts with a G"), I asked for a peso price and a discount for renting several months. The first contract was for four months, now we are month by month. They did raise the rent after the first six months but I was OK with that seeing how everything else goes up as well. They have never asked to be paid in dollars or anything and since the contract was always in pesos there was no talk of blue rate or anything.

is it furnished ? I have started disliking these furnished departments. I have experienced that once the furnishings start detoriating with time in a temporary rental..the agents or landlords..do not want to update or spend any money on keeping them updated...

Thank you all! Yes, I am definitely considering moving, I am in a temporary rental anyway, currently going month-by-month, but wanted to know if there was anything I could do short-term, as it seems to me they are starting veeery early. On the other hand, like BaltRochGirl says: "no guarantee another place will not end up in the same situation". Unless it is some block in Recoleta where all the buildings are old and protected and not likely to be torn down!

Living in Recoleta provides no guarantee against construction noise. In the three years I lived there (Aranales 2078) the apartment directly below mine and the one on the same floor in the building next door were completely remodeled (and not simultaneously). Fortunately, the work did not usually start before 8 AM and the projects only took several months (each) to complete. Nonetheless, I spent a lot more time away from my apartment during the day during those months, much of it looking for a PH without monthly expenses.

And I thought the lady upstairs prancing around in her high-heels was annoying. :)

Haha! That reminds me that, while living in Recoleta, I was grateful that the folks who owned the apartment above mine did not live there, rarely visited, and never rented it to anyone else.

PS: I daresay that the sound of a lady prancing around in her high-heels is far less annoying when accompanied by the sight of the same lady prancing.
emo32.gif

Back