Noise

I think our original poster wants to know should he not pay the final month of rent using his deposit instead, will he be tossed before months end.

It could take up to a year for the courts to evict him from the apartment. My friend had a tenant who "lost his job" and stopped paying rent and it took him almost two years to evict the tenant.

I heard somewhere on the forum that the rules for short term contract were different, i.e. the traditional two year is harder to do an eviction but the short term contract is easier - but again just hearsay.

ya but its completely understandable that the owner would want u to pay the last month rent and not use the damage deposit, just in case there is any damage. Its fair that they let u leave for the noise but i also think its fair that u pay your last month like your supposed to, not every owner keeps deposits, in fact when i used to rent, i always got my deposit back, and now that i am an owner renting, in the last 4 years i have NEVER kept a damage deposit, its always given back during check out! i would be pissed to if my renter told he wouldn't pay the last month rent!

The way I see it, they haven't broken the contract with you, or even any gentleman's agreement. In fact, they seem to have understood your position and let you leave early. Of course, we all know that getting the deposit back can be problematical, but if you haven't caused any damage you have to see how it goes. You are acting like they are keeping the deposit before they have made a move. If I was you I would call the agent, explain there has been a misunderstanding and say that you will pay the months rent. When the agent/owners come for the keys when you move out, if they do not have the deposit refuse to leave and do not mention your flight.

Back