Overstayed Visa--How Many Times Is This Acceptable?

This whole thing about "first world" perma-tourists being illegal and everyone moaning about the fact, while Argentina stills lets them enter legally, seems to be a really silly argument to me.

No. Its not "moaning" per se.

It is the ridiculous arguments that Argentina needs USD so why stop perma tourists.
Or the perma tourists have a right to become perma tourists on a tourist visa as they are not criminals.
Or that perman tourists have a right to come and go as they please and the immigration officer on the borders of Arg should close their eyes to them
or that per perma tourists who come and teach English here are highly skilled labor , which Argentina desperately needs!
or that perma tourists take apartments on airbnb ( and pays USD or pesos in cash to landlord) hence forth Argentina benefits!
or because the immigration officer on the borders do often close their eyes, so they should just close their eyes for ever to perma tourists
or that why a mercosur person gets a better and easy way to get in Argentine residency program vis a vis Schengen area or El Caribe area etc and why do North Americans need to do all that paper work to become residents in Argentina!

Total Bollocks!

Are you saying that the laws of Argentina do not require someone who lives here (for example more than 6 months per year) to declare their income and pay taxes if ithe income reaches a certain amount?

If they're a resident yes. If they are not a resident, I don't know how they could considering you have to have a CUIL or CUIT, which you can't get without a DNI I believe.

As to whether or not that's right or wrong - see my previous post.

You can get a CDI without DNI. What tax authorities consider a resident is not necessarily the same as having residency from a migrations point of view.

No. Its not "moaning" per se.
Perhaps moaning is in the ear of the beholder :)

It is the ridiculous arguements that Argentina needs USD so why stop perma tourists.

Ridiculous arguments, perhaps, should not always be answered. I believe that it is, indeed, silly, if not ridiculous, to argue that Argentina is better of with those few perma-tourists because they bring in dollars. As I showed above, it's also not necessary to argue such a point. However, I don't think it's necessarily an incorrect point - I don't know that the perma-tourists who are here following the other laws of the land are actually taking away more than they are bringing, though I agree it's not a strong point to argue in favor of allowing perma-tourists to be perma-tourists.

But that is up to Agentina to decide. And it seems to me that at this point, they have not decided that they are a detriment, but are at least neutral, if not beneficial, in their effect. As noted in my previous argument, Argentina easily has the capacity to stop allowing entry to perma-tourists if they felt it was necessary.

Or the perma tourists have a right to become perma tourists on a tourist visa as they are not criminals.

Sorry, but Argentina gives them that very right by allowing them to return. Again, easily revoked if Argentina should care to do so.

Or that perman tourists have a right to come and go as they please and the immigration officer on the borders of Arg should close their eyes to them

I agree, that would be a ridiculous argument. However, I haven't seen anyone actually argue that immigrations officials should just close their eyes to something illegal. I may have skipped over such an argument or not remember it, but if I saw that particular argument, I would not agree with it. The only argument I agree with is that currently, Argentina's immigration policies allow it and therefore they are entering the country legally and are not treated as criminals.

or that per perma tourists who come and teach English here are highly skilled labor , which Argentina desperately needs!
or that perma tourists take apartments on airbnb and go and eat in carne in restaurants hence forth Argentina benefits!

See above agreements with your stance on these arguments :)

You can get a CDI without DNI. What tax authorities consider a resident is not necessarily the same as having residency from a migrations point of view.

A CDI allows you to pay some taxes, like automobile or real estate, etc. In fact, if you are a non-resident you must have a CDI to purchase a car or real estate so that you can pay those types of taxes. I do not believe it allows you to pay income taxes. At least, that was how it was explained to me when I went to ANSES about 7 years ago to buy my car, and I tried to get a CUIL at the time.

People, let's get real. Without getting into any kind of discussion about justification, the reason expats do not take Argentina's law as seriously as some seem to expect, is not (certainly not necessarily) out of any sense of entitlement or 'negation of reality': on the contrary, it is precisely because they observe the reality here, and the reality here is that laws and institutions in general are not really respected nor taken very seriously here, nor enforced consistently: usually only when convenient.

One will observe that newcomers to this forum take Argentine regulations far more seriously than veterans do. It's simply because veterans have become more accustomed to the lay of the land here: let's not pretend it's an expat phenomenon, when it's a local one.

Now you can argue that expats ought to be more respectful of Argentine institutions and laws than locals are. I'd disagree, but it's a fair position to take. But the fact remains that expats are not more dismissive of laws here than Argentines of similar economic and social position. If more expats are with the blue market, it's not because expats care less for the official rate, it's because more expats have US dollars to sell. There is nobody, local or expat, that can get away with using the blue market and sells to the bank anyways. If more expats than locals are in violation of immigration laws, it's because, um, locals usually don't have immigration issues.

The whole 'negating reality' thing? If the 'reality' is the righteous preening of a local bureaucrat during working hours, then OK. Otherwise, get real.

You can declare income with a CDI (for example income from a business).

Clarification: I spent a lot of time away from the computer while posting my above comment.
If I had seen The Queso's posts, I'd probably not have bothered posting mine. As usual.

You can declare income with a CDI (for example income from a business).

The income of the business itself, yes. But not your personal income that you take away from that business.

But I wonder how many perma-tourists start up businesses and keep them completely in the white anyway? Certainly no more than the scores of small, informal businesses that locals perform here, like the knife sharpener that comes by and keeps my knives nicely honed...(homage to Ben on that one - a good argument - should we be more than the locals in respecting laws?)

Back