Pancake breakfast?

I have found this thread because of the dream I had last night about making the fluffiest hot/pancakes ever!! I had a bunch of them stored on a plate in my cabinet because I didn't want to share them with anyone. naughty me! But I have been living here in Buenos Aires for going on 3 years, and I have been without that American breakfast tradition ever since I left the states (and prob. a couple months before that) I FRIKKING LOVE PANCAKES!! I make a pretty mean breakfast sometimes in the hostel I manage, and will throw down on some nice french toast, but as someone earlier said, "it just ain't the same". You guys, I'm willing to have some BISQUICK (what i used in the dream) sent down here from the states and throw down the meanest American breakfast (I almost said "breaky" not cool) EVER! That breakfast will be complete with BACON (the real deal found at a store called, "Cordial" on Borges st. in between Costa Rica y Nicaragua) EGGS (made how u like) HOMEFRIES (Made how I like and everyone loves) and FRESH SQUEEZED OJ!! They syrup might be found at JUMBO or I'll have it sent here as well - I'll ask mi Tia Jemima if she can hook it up! jejeje
Let me know who's down for the cause!!

I think Sugar used to do American pancakes. It used to do a lot of great expat-type food but apparently had to stop because it was no longer economically viable. I've certainly learnt my lesson...the next time a menu like the old sugar one is offered, me and my tummy will be a lot more active in our support of it!

lol,

Damn thread title got my hopes up.

As far as I know there are no REAL American style pancakes in Buenos Aires, just those little skimpy French impostors.

After many tries, I've finally perfected my homemade pancakes! Now what I really miss is some good ol' Bob Evans bulk sausage with sage for sausage and biscuits...yummmmm!!!

I think until Maple Syrup becomes more accessible -- both in terms of sheer quantity and price -- you can't hold up hopes for many brunch types of places being able to offer pancakes. Even in Canada and the States the price of maple syrup is through the roof this year because Vermont didn't see the proper temperatures throughout winter for proper running of the sap. Vermont and Quebec provide most of the maple syrup to the rest of the world, so if one of them (or both) have a bad season, syrup gets very expensive -- good old global warming...

HOWEVER, on a positive note, I did have a really nice crepe sucree at TATINE the other week -- it's on Costa Rica and I believe Arevalo. They had a selection of sweet and savory crepes on their menu.

I just brought in a box of Hungry Jack mix and a big squeeze bottle of Aunt J's syrup from the states last time I returned. Unfortunate you y'all Im hording it for myself..

What are pancakes with out Aunt Jemima?? Send Love BA has Bisquick pancake mix and Aunt Jemima syrup! Its a special so it's not up on the site but email [email protected] for the deets!

Pancakes from scratch are super easy to make... you all are going to laugh at me but the marthastewart.com website has amazing recipes... everything from traditional to ricotta lemon poppy seed... Look at the brunch section. I get so hungry looking at the pics. And I never made pancakes in the US. I started here out of desperation. And they turned out great even the first time I tried. And after 2 or 3 times, you get to be a pro. And FYI you can replace buttermilk with natural yogurt. I buy maple syrup at Jumbo... in Caballito. Its mixed in with the regular food and not in the import section... and it costs like 70 pesos... I also recently saw artificial maple syrup... in carrefour.

who said the locals arent developing their tastebuds...the ants got to my near full 25 pesos bottle of maple syrup...which I only noticed half way through Sunday´s pancake and bacon breakfast..and I did consider still eating it with dead ants floating and all..how sad is that?
These ants are an intelligent lfe form..they broke into a fully closed clean bottle for goodness sake..vote them for president in 2011!

where did you find the bacon? have yet to see real honest to goodness bacon in any stores!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
tangobob Food and Drink 11
Tilda Food and Drink 15
Joe Food and Drink 15
M Food and Drink 0
GS_Dirtboy Expat Life 19
Back