People Who Cheat Expats

arlean

Registered
Well it appears we are not supposed to report on cheats but I was in touch with Nikad privately and the person she complained about also took $40 from me for a walking tour, we agreed where we would meet, she didn´t show up there, I waited for over an hour. Later she blamed me, but she went to another entrance and said she waited with other people for a while, But it was not where she was supposed to be. Mistakes happen so why didn´t she just come to the other exit and find out? She was rude, blamed me (I was NOT at fault) and kept my $40.00. She´s not a very nice person and i think she is now advertising on this forum. It is not the walking tours that have been mentioned here as far as I know but a new one. I will not mention the name here.

Nikad, your instncts were right. Thanks for reporting.

Sorry Nikad. There for a minute I forgot that you are not an expat! Well you fit in so nicely here you can´t blame ME! :D

Hmm, since Nikad isn't an expat and also got cheated, I suggest the title of this thread be appropiatedly fixed.
It's not about expats but about providing poor/no service and having shitty customer's-ethical practices.

Since you're not to mention the other party, maybe you could submit the meeting point location and how come it got FUBARed.
You people did not exchange cel numbers?

I would not regret the $40 as much as the wasted time. Money comes and goes. Time is irreplaceable.

Too bad but there is a widespread problem with ethics in Argentina or rather the lack of ethics among many people. They just have no conscience. I don't understand how so many of them could have attended religious schools and graduated without any concern about cheating. They must have done nothing more than memorize their catechism, no critical thinking in religion classes - no discussion of right and wrong and why. Anyway I say this but I can also say that I have several Argentine friends who are the most reliable and trustworthy people I know but they too say what I have just said and express the feeling that they are like aliens in their land. Of course Argentina is not the only place with so much corruption. What surprises is that Argentina can look so developed and progresisve in some ways but beneath the surface there is danger lurking everywhere -- see the Argentne Film "Nine Queens" to get a sense of this.

I was not a victim as a matter of fact, but some page/group looked rather suspicious, only accepting expats, English speaking that is, especially when the person running the site and advertising such paid events is not even an English speaking expat herself. I am afraid I cannot give any more information over here.

Hmm, since Nikad isn't an expat and also got cheated, I suggest the title of this thread be appropiatedly fixed.
It's not about expats but about providing poor/no service and having shitty customer's-ethical practices.

Since you're not to mention the other party, maybe you could submit the meeting point location and how come it got FUBARed.
You people did not exchange cel numbers?

I would not regret the $40 as much as the wasted time. Money comes and goes. Time is irreplaceable.

What is this person's name, so we know whom to avoid?

i dont get it though, are these 2 different scams or are they related? the Facebook group and the walk tour?

Well it appears we are not supposed to report on cheats but I was in touch with Nikad privately and the person she complained about also took $40 from me for a walking tour, we agreed where we would meet, she didn´t show up there, I waited for over an hour. Later she blamed me, but she went to another entrance and said she waited with other people for a while, But it was not where she was supposed to be. Mistakes happen so why didn´t she just come to the other exit and find out? She was rude, blamed me (I was NOT at fault) and kept my $40.00. She´s not a very nice person and i think she is now advertising on this forum. It is not the walking tours that have been mentioned here as far as I know but a new one. I will not mention the name here.

Nikad, your instncts were right. Thanks for reporting.

Some advice: In Argentina, never ever ever ever hand over money ahead of time. I always always regretted it every time I did that. If you have to leave money ahead of time, leave a very small seña, as small as possible.

My personal experience is a little different. I've haven't been cheated in Argentina as in other countries. I rented many apartments in Argentina and I never had a problem. I rented one apartment in Spain and l got cheated. Yesterday in Portugal the grocery store tried to short change me by $5. In China and SE Asia, attempted cheats happen in at least 20% of transactions. Even in Japan, I got cheated out of my apartment deposit. In the US, apartment deposits not returned is common when they know you're leaving town. I honestly don't remember a single cheat in Argentina. I'm sure I've been short changed and was not paying attention but nothing big.

Only country that has been more honest for me than Argentina - is Canada!

Knock on wood - I guess I've been lucky.

Back