People Who Cheat Expats

Mixed bag, been cheated but also had great experiences. I could say the same about uk/ ireland

Some advice: In Argentina, never ever ever ever hand over money ahead of time. I always always regretted it every time I did that. If you have to leave money ahead of time, leave a very small seña, as small as possible.

This method has saved me as well. If I have an obra or repair I ask the total price, divide that by the number of days they say it will take and then pay that amount day-by-day (which also cuts down on the incidents of ' I didn't show up because my mother/sister/uncle is dying'.)

On the other hand there are some services that have to paid upfront. I help people with thing such as getting tickets for bus trips, football games and tours. These items have to be purchased in advance, so I need the money upfront, but as a matter of respect to them and the desire to have an honest reputation they're going to get them of course.

My personal experience is a little different. I've haven't been cheated in Argentina as in other countries. I rented many apartments in Argentina and I never had a problem. I rented one apartment in Spain and l got cheated. Yesterday in Portugal the grocery store tried to short change me by $5. In China and SE Asia, attempted cheats happen in at least 20% of transactions. Even in Japan, I got cheated out of my apartment deposit. In the US, apartment deposits not returned is common when they know you're leaving town. I honestly don't remember a single cheat in Argentina. I'm sure I've been short changed and was not paying attention but nothing big.

Only country that has been more honest for me than Argentina - is Canada!

Knock on wood - I guess I've been lucky.

The Honest Girl, a lesson from Argentine history...
"When Cristina was about six years old, she was made the wealthy mistress of a hatchet! of which, like most little Argentine girls, she was immoderately fond, and was constantly going about chopping everything that came in her way (a habit she has been disinclined to overcome in her capacity as President of the Republica) . One day, in the garden, where she often amused herself hacking her mother's pea-sticks, she unluckily tried the edge of her hatchet on the body of a beautiful young Ombu tree, which she barked so terribly, that I don't believe the tree ever got the better of it. The next morning the old gentleman, finding out what had befallen his tree, which, by the by, was a great favourite, came into the house; and with much warmth asked for the mischievous author, declaring at the same time, that he would not have taken five little pesos for his tree. Nobody could tell him anything about it. Presently Cristina and her hatchet made their appearance. "Cristina," said her father "do you know who killed that beautiful little Ombu tree yonder in the garden? " This was a tough question; and Cristina staggered under it for a moment; but quickly recovered herself: and looking at her beloved father, with the sweet face of youth brightened with the inexpressible charm of all-conquering truth, she bravely cried out, "I can't tell a lie, Papi; you know I can't tell a lie. I did cut it with my hatchet." "Run to my arms, you dearest girl," cried her father in transports, "run to my arms; glad am I, Cristina, that you killed my tree; for you have paid me for it a thousand fold. Such an act of heroism in my daughter is more worth than a thousand trees, though blossomed with silver, and their fruits of purest gold."

Joe commented:

_Even in Japan, I got cheated out of my apartment deposit_...The money you gave to the landlord was a deposit.? In Japan we have the
Shikikin and the Reikin, which are two complete different animal all together.!

[background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]There is a kind of money system when renting a room in Japan (It depends on the region). The name is Shiki kin / Rei kin.[/background]​

[background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]Shiki kin?
This is Deposit. It should be returned when the contract expires. However, in many cases, the owner of the room will charge you for the damage of the room. The charge is deducted from Shiki Kin. Now the system is changing and some people say this system will disappear in some years.[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]Rei kin?
This is Key Money. It won’t be returned. It is the "Thank you money gift to the owner"! Hard must be for the Gringos comunity to swallow, but this is how it is done in the land of the rising sun.! Some Gringo says it is a _bribe in order to get that apartment..![/background]

You guys are right that say I shouldn´t have handed over money ahead of time. I sure admit that was dumb so thanks a bunch for the correction. She wanted it ahead of time and came to Palermo and met me in front of a restaurant to collect it ahead of time. If there had not been a mixup on the meeting place perhaps it would have been okay. But then again, how do I know. Maybe there WAS no tour come to think of it. But I kind of think there was. I think instead of admitting she made a mistake, she didn´t want to return the money so she blamed me for it--maybe. Or maybe that´s giving her the benefit of too much doubt. I don´t know.

Living here I´m getting less and less tristomg as I learn. Not that people don´t do the same elsewhere. I´ve had very good experience in Argentina overall. In fact, I love the people that I know and deal with here so I can´t complain about them. I think this woman´s rudeness and lack of consideration and, as already mentioned, waste of about three hours of time was more an outrage to me than the money, But I didn´t much like her making off with $40 on top of it. Her first name is Claudia and she does speak English but she is a native spanish speaker from Colombia.

Joe commented:

_Even in Japan, I got cheated out of my apartment deposit_...The money you gave to the landlord was a deposit.? In Japan we have the
Shikikin and the Reikin, which are two complete different animal all together.!

There is a kind of money system when renting a room in Japan (It depends on the region). The name is Shiki kin / Rei kin.

Shiki kin?
This is Deposit. It should be returned when the contract expires. However, in many cases, the owner of the room will charge you for the damage of the room. The charge is deducted from Shiki Kin. Now the system is changing and some people say this system will disappear in some years.

Rei kin?
This is Key Money. It won’t be returned. It is the "Thank you money gift to the owner"! Hard must be for the Gringos comunity to swallow, but this is how it is done in the land of the rising sun.! Some Gringo says it is a _bribe in order to get that apartment..!
Yes, all that was explained to me in the beginning. After my two years were up, I met with the owner who said he just bought the apartment that I rented from a rental agency. And that he didn't get my deposit money when he bought the apartment and was therefore not giving me back my deposit.

Back