Peronist Future?

I find it hard to understand why Peronism is held by some as a political ideology. It is nothing more than pragmatism with a flair for deriding opponents as being unpatriotic. Once again we saw this horrible tendency in Scioli's posters against Macri.

Isn't it the so-called Peronism (and the military misrule) that has taken Argentina from being one of the richest trading countries in the world to one which no creditors will touch?

I am glad Macri won. Argentina needs a long-term vision and hopefully he will bring this. I can't think of a modern country that has been consistently ruled by populists and is economically successful.

Peronismo, this undefined stuff that no one really knows what it is and everyone interprets it by himself, is ideology without ideology. In its core peronismo just means Argentinian way of doing politics, nothing else. Have no rules, nothing is defined, except with variety of historical examples, that mostly went wrong.

It is also word that everyone can hide behind, when doesn't have a clue what to do or who to vote. Argentina will be cured, when this word won't be spoken anymore.

I find it hard to understand why Peronism is held by some as a political ideology. It is nothing more than pragmatism with a flair for deriding opponents as being unpatriotic. Once again we saw this horrible tendency in Scioli's posters against Macri.

Isn't it the so-called Peronism (and the military misrule) that has taken Argentina from being one of the richest trading countries in the world to one which no creditors will touch?

I am glad Macri won. Argentina needs a long-term vision and hopefully he will bring this. I can't think of a modern country that has been consistently ruled by populists and is economically successful.

What you have to add to your ideas to understand the Argentine Conundrum is that in Argentina, prior to Perón's election in 1946, the lower economic classes were completely disenfranchised. Perón gave the poor rights that they never had - we can never ignore that fact if we want to understand this country. For those Argentines who felt themselves freed by Perón, their devotion to him became a religion. Of course, it should have been done decades before, and if it had been there probably never would have been a Perón in power.

That's why many on this forum have said that for Argentines under 50, peronism doesn't hold the gut-level power that it once had. That may explain how Macri could be elected - just a decade or so ago, it couldn't have happened.

Peronism at its purest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQbdVR862NY

http://www.lanacion....nestor-kirchner

About Hernan Lombardi talking about the probability of renaming the Kirchner Cultural Center.

"¿Cuál es la objeción? Que ha habido una exageración en la toponimia, que haya habido 300 lugares que se llaman igual me parece demasiado. Y sobre todo que se quebró la ley de la Ciudad de Buenos Aires, que exige que haya 10 años entre el uso del nombre para un lugar público y el fallecimiento de la persona".

I was reminded of the ancient Roman practice of damnatio memoriae (condemnation of memory), where the Romans would try to strip all evidence of the existence of a fellow Roman who had done something heinous and which thereby reflected poorly on Rome. The punishment (usually the person was dead, so it was kind of in absentia) included things like destroying any statues or other likenesses, any literary works, removal from official documents, etc, etc. Of course, we have no direct evidence that such an attempt was ever completely successful or we'd never have heard anything about the successful one. Kind of a catch-22.

I'm not suggesting that this is what Macri and his government are going to do, but it is kind of an interesting thought. hehe.

It's just as well we don't have the Kirchners all over banknotes then or we'd all be burning them.

And now that we have the image of cfk in a bikini burned into our imaginations, shall we put that on the 500 p note? That might discourage its use.

Back