Phone In U.s.

jeff1234

Registered
We'll be spending a few weeks in the U.S. and want to have mobile service.
Any suggestions about what would be our best deal.
We have a couple of old phones from the US, could possibly use them.

A friend of mine added me to her family plan and then cancelled me when I left. Gave me my own number, no connection charges. I just paid her for the one month of unlimited service that I used...no extra costs for anyone. Almost all plans allow you to add a number.

If you can not order a SIM card in advance from Amazon or Ebay, I would recommend H2O Wireless. They are AT&T resellers. You can get their SIM card from a local Best Buy (check availability).

If you can order a SIM card, here are a couple of other options.

T-mobile prepaid. Probably makes most sense for short visits on 3 dollars/day unlimited plan that includes data. After spending 100 bucks you are getting "Gold Rewards" status and can maintain your USA number by adding $10/year to the balance.

Lycamobile . European company, T-mobile reseller. Cheap calls. Watch for creative data rounding. Your number never expires.

Tmobile: order on line, have sim mailed C/O hotel or wherever you are staying. Will be waiting for you upon arrival.
http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/sim-card

I keep a T-Mobile SIM with me (officially it expires after 90 days, but more has passed without that happening), they have daily plans for unlimited voice/text/200 MB data for $3 a day. On a day you don't use the phone, no money goes off your account. Worked great for me (except parts of NYC where their signal isn't great, but that's true of pretty much everyone).

I had this problem when I was in NYC last November. My ex told me to get a Track Phone (aka Pre Paid phone.) I got mine at Right Aid cost about U$D 10.00.
The box comes with phone & charger, ready to go. You follow the instructions included. You log on to the website, it gives you your phone number.
Then with your credit card you put in how much $$$ you want to add to the phone. Very easy.
I still have mine for my next trip back. The phone is made by samsung.

I had this problem when I was in NYC last November. My ex told me to get a Track Phone (aka Pre Paid phone.) I got mine at Right Aid cost about U$D 10.00.
The box comes with phone & charger, ready to go. You follow the instructions included. You log on to the website, it gives you your phone number.
Then with your credit card you put in how much $$$ you want to add to the phone. Very easy.
I still have mine for my next trip back. The phone is made by samsung.

How expensive were the calls and web access?

It's a ten dollar phone. No camera. It does have some web access. I used it just for making & receiving calls.
I don't remember the call rate. It was just very practical. You just pay as you go along.
No contract to sign. easy. The link below is exactly like the one I bought.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-SGH-S150G-Black-TracFone-Cellular-Phone-/321312325040?pt=Cell_Phones&hash=item4acfb4fdb0

Back