Poll: When Is Red's Argentine Honeymoon Over?

When Will Red's Honeymoon End?

• One week

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • One month

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • One year

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Never

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • After his 10th Fugazzeta (or empanada.. or milanesa)

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Once he realizes Kale is not readily available here

Votes: 6 26.1%

• Total voters

Joe

Registered
He's dazzled by the exotic Fugazetta served by the surly (but exotic) waitress. He swears he'll never drink a Cabernet again after sampling the wonderful Malbecs. And how could anyone drink the awful black tea when mate is available. Even the dog poop on his shoe has a bouquet that hints of mate and Malbec.

All the wonderful demonstrations of the poor with the banners of his hero Che furling in the wind, remind him of when he went on the picket line and manned the barricades against the evil capitalist machine. His pilgrimage to Che's birthplace in Rosario rekindled the revolutionary zeal of his youth.

Once he learns the tango and spends the night at the milonga, he feels he will be halfway to the Inner Porteno dying to get out of his Yanqui skin. The air really is good in Buenos Aires.

But how long will the honeymoon last?

What could be more Argentine than to be the target of one of Joe's polls? Red, looks like you've officially made it. Pinocchio is a boy! Data has found his humanity! You have fully integrated into Argentine society. You're an Argy!! Congratulations!!!!

But seriously - I'm not seeing it. I bet Red enjoys himself and fully immerses himself into every experience wherever he goes. Strikes me as a guy with an admirable zest for life. Not getting the "Porteno dying to get out" thing.

When I went back to school at Podunk Community College, Red was my literature professor and he taught me the story of the​
lotophagi or lotophaguses (singular lotophagus /ləˈtɒfəɡəs/) in ancient Greek (in order to update this parable, substitute Fugazzeta for the Lotus Flower)​

"I was driven thence by foul winds for a space of 9 days upon the sea, but on the tenth day we reached the land of the Lotus-eaters, who live on a food that comes from a kind of flower. Here we landed to take in fresh water, and our crews got their mid-day meal on the shore near the ships. When they had eaten and drunk I sent two of my company to see what manner of men the people of the place might be, and they had a third man under them. They started at once, and went about among the Lotus-eaters, who did them no hurt, but gave them to eat of the lotus, which was so delicious that those who ate of it left off caring about home, and did not even want to go back and say what had happened to them, but were for staying and munching lotus with the Lotus-eaters without thinking further of their return; nevertheless, though they wept bitterly I forced them back to the ships and made them fast under the benches. Then I told the rest to go on board at once, lest any of them should taste of the lotus and leave off wanting to get home, so they took their places and smote the grey sea with their oars."[sup][1][/sup]​

This passage served as the source for Alfred, Lord Tennyson's poem "The Lotos-Eaters." It is also referenced in the fifth chapter of Ulysses byJames Joyce, also titled "Lotus Eaters," and in the sixth chapter of Edith Wharton's The Age of Innocence.
Herodotus, in the fifth century BC, was sure that the lotus-eaters still existed in his day, in coastal Libya:

Is Red a Fugaphagus? Only time will tell.

see Wikipedia Fugazzetaphagi (eaters of Fugazzeta)

The honeymoon will be over when any of the following happen to Redpossum:

Is told by his landlord that he will no longer accept pesos and insists on being paid in dollars and RP must withdraw pesos at rate of eight to one using his ATM card and then must pay over ten to one to buy the dollars.

Realizes that the beautiful grassy area in the boulevard that his new apartment faces is a favorite hangout for drunks who laugh and sing until four in the morning...on a nightly basis.

Discovers that favorite pastime of one of the children in the apartment above his is bouncing a golf ball off the tile floor and the child's father is too busy (posting insipid one liners about Ayn Rand on various websites) to discipline his child.

Cannot sleep past seven in the morning when the owner of the apartment below his begins remodeling and the workers start removing walls with sledge hammers.

Goes into serious withdrawal from the lack of juevos rancheros.

Is mugged in the streets of Palermo by a thug who overheard one of his random encounters.

Is robbed of everything (including his passport, ID, credit cards, laptop, and every stitch of clothing) after being drugged by a beautiful woman who puts a rolfie in his drink when they go to his apartment after meeting her in a random encounter at a bar.

Falls for a beautiful Argentine woman fifteen years younger than he is who is still living with her parents, and has been in psychotherapy for over ten years, and is prone to hysteria and violent outbursts whenever he disagrees with her, which, if he had the cajones, will be often. (Of course they meet in a random encounter at a tango class.)

Is given an "ultima prorroga" at migraciones.

Is denied reentry to Argentina for five years after making a "visa run" to Colonia.

Forgets his password, is unable to reset it, and is forever unable to post on BA expats.

The honeymoon will be over when Redpossum

Goes into serious withdrawal from the lack of juevos rancheros.

Is mugged in the streets of Palermo by a thug who overheard one of his random encounters.

Is robbed of everything (including his passport, ID, credit cards, laptop, and every stitch of clothing) after being drugged by a beautiful woman who puts a rolfie in his drink when they go to his apartment after meeting in a random encounter in a bar.

Falls for a beautiful Argentine woman fifteen years younger than he is who is still living with her parents, and has been in psychotherapy for over ten years, and is prone to hysteria and violent outbursts whenever he disagrees with her, which, if he had the cajones, will be often.

Is given an "ultima prorroga" at migraciones.

Is denied reentry to Argentina for five years after making a "visa run" to Colonia.

Forgets his password, is unable to reset it, and is unable to post on BA expats.

*Agrees that Argentina is Ayn's promised land.

Back