Poll: Which will kill more Argentines: the COV-19 Virus or the Quarantine?

Which will kill more Argentines: the Virus or the Quarantine in the next two years?

• The Corona Virus

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • The Quarantine

Votes: 23 60.5%
  • About the Same

Votes: 4 10.5%

• Total voters

Every year 32.000 people die each year from Pneumonia and Influenza which is close to 90 people a day but we have never closed our economy before . The best idea would have been to prohibit older people from circulating for a determined time and allow the younger community to develop herd inmunity .

Every year 32.000 people die each year from Pneumonia and Influenza which is close to 90 people a day but we have never closed our economy before . The best idea would have been to prohibit older people from circulating for a determined time and allow the younger community to develop herd inmunity .
By time the lockdown was announced, I believe it was the only measure left. The measures you name SHOULD have been implemented at the start of March at the latest. Complete draconian lockdown on travel, the most vulnerable demographics in lockdown, mandatory face masks when outside for everyone, strong advice on practising social distancing, and maybe even curfews to ensure no large gatherings during evenings and weekends. This should have happened two months ago.

At the beginning I thought the same. But having watched C-19 tear through places where it was not controlled or at least slowed I've come to think that closing the economy was the best choice out of alot of bad choices.

Historians will be studying this forever. People will argue about it just like they still argue about 'Did we need to drop A-Bombs on Japan'.

There was no way predict the total death count or the 'misery index' when many in the 'younger community' would be sick at approx the same time.

Those of us that didn't have immunity would probably have retreated into our homes until it was safe to come out anyway.

Alot will depend on how well the recovery is managed. Will this be a footnote or a chapter in our history.

Last edited:
Looking at the contagion curves in Europe and in both North and South America, I think it's quite clear that this is being handled excellently by the Argentine political class in its entirety. I have to say I'm surprised, and grateful - I'm safer here than I would be in my developed, first-world, home country. I know it's early to reach definitive conclusions, but if they hold this degree of adherence to the lockdown together, it'll be a massive achievement, particularly if you consider the veritable petri dish conditions of contagion that the lower third of the population live in.

Typical mortality rate, seasonal influenza: 0.1%; mortality rate, COVID 19: 3.7%

What is there not to understand?

Typical mortality rate, seasonal influenza: 0.1%; mortality rate, COVID 19: 3.7%

The numbers show something different.
The influenza 0.1% is on closed cases based in 100 years studies.
The 2% Covid-19 fatality rate is a prediction refuted by facts:ACD26712-DF1D-40CA-B040-FBEDF98755F4.jpeg
In the USA the fatality ratio is over 39%.
On this explains why they are shutting down the economy.

In the USA the fatality ratio is over 39%.

You don't understand what these numbers mean.

This is an actively developing situation and number of infected people is increasing. Testing is done mostly for people who are sick. It takes more time to recover than to die. So, this is just a dynamic slice, not a fatality.

Say, hypothetically speaking, you have a decease with a fatality rate of 1%. People die within a week, but it takes two months to recover. A month later you would have a situation when 1% of people had died, but nobody recovered yet. According to your logic, that would be 100% fatality rate, but it is evidently not.

Lol, a 39% mortality rate in the US? They would have declared martial law and the coronavirus would be compared to Ebola instead of the normal flu. I think it might be time to retake that high school statistics course.

Even the WHO and CDC admit the 3-4% mortality rate is likely high. We will never truly know because most people recover at home without COVID-19 diagnosis and other recover without even knowing they had it. If all cases were accounted, for the mortality rate would be closer to 1% and may be lower. This is just stating what is widely accepted and does not diminish the danger COVID-19 poses, not least because it could infect more people that seasonal flu.

Even the WHO and CDC admit the 3-4% mortality rate is likely high. We will never truly know because most people recover at home without COVID-19 diagnosis and other recover without even knowing they had it. If all cases were accounted, for the mortality rate would be closer to 1% and may be lower. This is just stating what is widely accepted and does not diminish the danger COVID-19 poses, not least because it could infect more people that seasonal flu.

Many stories in New York of sick people trying to get tested and being turned away. Not enough tests or personnel available. There's nothing that can be done for them anyway until they have trouble breathing. These people are lost to the statistics until they are admitted to a hospital or die.

Back