Potentially Moving to Argentina

As I say this kind of move has to be fully researched. I'm grateful for your input and will give Mendoza province serious consideration.

Juat to be clear, I do not live in or near Mendoza and never considered living there. I posted the links to the two quintas that I thought might be of interest to the Newmans. I am not advocating that anyone move to Mendoza. I certianly wouldn't.

I live on the "outskirts" of a separate barrio north of Punta Alta (near Bahia Blanca) in the south of Provincia Buenos Aires.

I had no idea how much I would love living here when I bought the property (after finding it while searching the internet in 2010).

I have no desire to move or live anywhere else.

PS: At the last minute I was able to correct my previous post:

There have been 14 US Presidents in my lifetime.

Last edited:
Juat to be clear, I do not live in or near Mendoza and never considered living there. I posted the links to the two quintas that I thought might be of interest to the Newmans. I am not advocating that anyone move to Mendoza. I certianly wouldn't.

I live on the "outskirts" of a separate barrio north of Punta Alta (near Bahia Blanca) in the south of Provincia Buenos Aires.

I had no idea how much I would love living here when I bought the property (after finding my property in an internet search in 2010).

I have no desire to move or live anywhere else.

PS: At the last minute I was able to correct my previous post.

There have been 14 US Presidnets in my lifetime.
Oh I misread it, though you did post a quinta in Mendoza province. As a matter of interest is there anything wrong with Mendoza and its environs?

Oh I misread it, though you did post a quinta in Mendoza province. As a matter of interest is there anything wrong with Mendoza and its environs?

Crime in the city of Mendoza (I'm not sure about the countryside) and the posssibility (especially during a grand solar minimum) of a devastating earthquake.

Punta Alta has very low crime (even on the outskirts, in a semi-rural location like mine). It's a military town (though it doesn't feel at all like one compared to those in the US). The stores 'and businness are open with very few spaces for rent. If it wasn't for people wearing masks, you wouldn't think there was any sort of health crisis. The grocery stores are well stocked and there haven't been any noticible shortages.

An additional security advantage for the area is that the highway (ruta 229) can be closed off (as it was during the travel restricitons) at a check point (also at the edge of my barrio) to prevent the zombie hoards from entering (if and when that becomes necessary). .

Last edited:
Another option:
Since your wife'relatives are from Mendoza, you may be better off if you move to Chile, close to Mendoza.
If in the near future the voters here expell this band of crooks that stole our country, things may get much better
and you could move closer to yor in-laws, etc.

Crime in the city of Mendoza (I'm not sure about the countryside) and the posssibility (especially during a grand solar minimum) of a devastating earthquake.

Punta Alta has very low crime (even on the outskirts, in a semi-rural location like mine). It's a military town (though it doesn't feel at all like one compared to those in the US). The stores 'and businness are open with very few spaces for rent. If it wasn't for people wearing masks, you wouldn't think there was any sort of health crisis. The grocery stores are well stocked and there haven't been any noticible shortages.

An additional security advantage for the area is that the highway (ruta 229) can be closed off (as it was during the travel restricitons) at a check point (also at the edge of my barrio) to prevent the zombie hoards from entering (if and when that becomes necessary). .
Just curious ,…Do you own any guns?

Another option:
Since your wife'relatives are from Mendoza, you may be better off if you move to Chile, close to Mendoza.
If in the near future the voters here expell this band of crooks that stole our country, things may get much better
What, specifically is the current "band of crooks" doing that you think would make the Newman's "better off" if they move to Chile?

Is the present Argentine government somehow violating the rights of property owners?

Is it stealing (expropriating) farmland from some to give to others?

If my information is correct, that is hapeneing in South Africa.

If that isn't happening in Argentina, what actions of the government do you think the Newman's have to fear?

A summary of my thoughts on some of the above posts: it's still early days in my property venture and with the topography of the country being so varied it will take time to research it all. I believe you said Steve that you started with an apartment in Recoleta: on first thoughts this was my choice too-period features, low maintenance, possibility of earning a small income through private pupils, right in the heart of things, weekend trips to Mar del Plata The downsides from what I have read could be traffic noise, poor air quality, and there's the worrying amount of rain compared to (say) Mendoza. Looking at the latter it does lack the sophistication of the capital but the weather in general is better and coming from the UK I appreciate the dry climate. Living on any remote quinta or finca I think guns would be a must, sad to say, along with local security, alarms, panic buttons and all the paraphernalia which comes with living in a Third World country, and even then this is not failsafe.

I did pick out one house which seemed to meet most of my requirements, though if I do eventually settle in one area I would rent first for a period before taking the plunge. https://www.zonaprop.com.ar/propiedades/casa-4-dorm.-ing.-cipolleti-al-800-46797892.html

Anyone trying to break into my house at night will hear a loud noise and may smell gunpowder.

Anyone who actually gets in may not "be around long enough" to smell it.
You see Americans have been born and raised with guns. For most Brits they are still alien phenomena.

Another option:
Mendoza and certain parts of Chile have Mapuches. The Mapuche are the local indigenous people that have a long ongoing fight trying to get their land back. Depending on where you choose to live they may not take kindly to foreigners buying land that they claim as their own. People have been injured and killed in violent conflicts with them. That’s a headache you'll want to avoid.

Last edited:
Back