Protecting apt from robbery

sgarlow

Registered
Another apartment in our building was robbed last night so I'm wondering if there's anything we should do to protect our own. We were thinking of getting renter's insurance (through Mapfre?). Any other suggestions?

I've always had a big dog in my apartment. Trained them to bark only at certain sounds - like the door or window being jimmied. The best insurance I've ever had. If you are a cat person then you might want to get homeowner's insurance. :)

My bank (USAA) covers my belongings here in Arg as long as I maintain a residence in the US (parent's house) and renter's insurance there. I got my laptop stolen last year. They direct deposited my $$ the same day I faxed them the police report.

GS_Dirtboy said:
My bank (USAA) covers my belongings here in Arg as long as I maintain a residence in the US (parent's house) and renter's insurance there. I got my laptop stolen last year. They direct deposited my $$ the same day I faxed them the police report.

USAA has great customer service!

Thanks good to know. I'd love to have a dog here, but it's probably not in the cards. So insurance it is.

Do you have a heavy-duty deadbolt on the door? If not, it's probably a worthwhile investment.

You could install an alarm system with 4 or 5 sensors included.
I can recommend a serious business to do the job, just send me a PM

Most people don't know this but you can get home security systems through ADT just like in the USA. They aren't too expensive. Obviously thieves could still break in but a blaring loud alarm scares them and they almost always leave immediately. I had this system installed in my office and it deterred them and they ran away without getting anything.

You can also install a security camera easily that will record things and email you it (Google Panasonic network camera). Although this is better if you suspect employees of stealing. The judicial system .doesn't work in Argentina so even if you get a photo/video of someone stealing I'm not sure they would do much with it. Although I did catch an employee once of stealing money on camera and got him to quit vs. having to pay him any severance. In true Argie fashion.... the employee, although we clearly could see he was stealing on the video tried to deny the incident!

Back