Punta Del Este As Exclusive Seaside Resort

There are so many if's in your story, that i dont even know where to start. Not all of it makes sense to me to be honest, especially historically speaking. How are there missing links, when things obviously are the way they are? Things happened as they happened, so if you dig a bit deeper into history you may get your answers, that are not actually 'missing'. Brazilians are not Spanish or Australian, Argentineans arent British. There are cultural differences. Sure, similar conditions often lead to similar results, but youre leaving a couple of conditions out of your equations and maybe thats why youre so confused. One of the reasons Argentineans dont feel the need to spend money they dont have on holidays somewhere in the north of Brazil, is - i think - because the weather isnt totally shit year round, which is the case in Britain and most of northern Europe. If you get about 30 min of clouded sunshine a day, for 5 months straight, you NEED sunshine. Argentineans dont have this problem. They have sunshine, space, nice places, and no money, aka, they stay home.

And also, you mentioned international borders in Europe, but with the EU, Schengen and all, there isnt much of a border to speak of. You can drive from Sweden to Andalucía without going through any sort of customs. I dont think its an issue for most people.

You clearly have no idea, what a 3rd world country means.

Argentina is NOT a 3rd world country.

Put it this way: It's more an aborted First World country than actually a Third World country. And Argentina is considered by international organizations as a developing country.

There are so many if's in your story, that i dont even know where to start. Not all of it makes sense to me to be honest, especially historically speaking. How are there missing links, when things obviously are the way they are? Things happened as they happened, so if you dig a bit deeper into history you may get your answers, that are not actually 'missing'. Brazilians are not Spanish or Australian, Argentineans arent British. There are cultural differences. Sure, similar conditions often lead to similar results, but youre leaving a couple of conditions out of your equations and maybe thats why youre so confused. One of the reasons Argentineans dont feel the need to spend money they dont have on holidays somewhere in the north of Brazil, is - i think - because the weather isnt totally shit year round, which is the case in Britain and most of northern Europe. If you get about 30 min of clouded sunshine a day, for 5 months straight, you NEED sunshine. Argentineans dont have this problem. They have sunshine, space, nice places, and no money, aka, they stay home.

And also, you mentioned international borders in Europe, but with the EU, Schengen and all, there isnt much of a border to speak of. You can drive from Sweden to Andalucía without going through any sort of customs. I dont think its an issue for most people.

Each event can have multiple outcomes, so that one outcome results in the world as it is, and the outcomes result in world that could have been. It's a matter of randomness. So, in this world, Argentine culture is different from Anglo culture, but in another world, Argentine culture (or a good part of it) is Anglo.

You are right, that British and northern European weather is crappy over the winter (in many places above freezing but cloudy/rainy like anything), but even the Costa del Sol (much sunnier) isn't that much warmer than the Rio de la Plata in the winter! It's a matter of subjective, not just objective, differences!

And look, Melbourne people don't have much less sunshine than Buenos Aires or Montevideo people, and winter temperatures are about the same there, and yet they go to a warmer and sunnier place (namely, Queensland) a lot on holiday.

As for borders, the UK is not part of the Schengen Agreement, though it is part of the EU. Argentina and Brazil (and Uruguay and Paraguay) consitute the Mercosur.

1st world are capitalist countries
2nd world are communist
3rd world are non-aligned
that is the correct definition
this became transformed into 3rd world being equal to poor in popular speak.
Personally I don´t like "developing nations" because it assumes that all countries "develop" in the same manner, there are just some that are behind others. The reality is more complex: some rich countries become poor, some poor countries develop rich sectors, etc
I would agree with Ceviche--Argentina wouldn´t qualify to me as 3rd world in the popular sense of the word. It has a good health care system. A friend of mine was living in El Salvador and told me that basically all the rich people would go to Miami for ANY medical treatment. If you have spent time in Indonesia, Guatemala, Honduras, etc you will see that the difference is quite big, as much as people like to yell that Argentina is 3rd world.

I would agree with Ceviche--Argentina wouldn´t qualify to me as 3rd world in the popular sense of the word. It has a good health care system. A friend of mine was living in El Salvador and told me that basically all the rich people would go to Miami for ANY medical treatment. If you have spent time in Indonesia, Guatemala, Honduras, etc you will see that the difference is quite big, as much as people like to yell that Argentina is 3rd world.

Many parts of Argentina would very much qualify as a 3rd world country (in the popular sense of the word). These are images from ARGENTINA and it looks pretty 3rd world to me. Can the title be applied to all of the country? Certainly not, but Argentina has areas that are as poor as the poor areas of Indonesia or Guatemala.
Brazil CERTAINLY is a 3rd world country (in the popular sense of the word) and the images bellow are as bad as anything you might see in brazil.

736121.jpg

pobreza-argentina.jpg
pobreza_4.jpg

Pobreza-ni%C3%B1os-Argentina-Radio-Mar%C3%ADa-Argentina.jpg
Argentina+populista.jpg
POBRE_3.jpg

Many parts of USA would also qualify for being 3rd world basis some pics, which I do not have at the moment.

Many parts of USA would also qualify for being 3rd world basis some pics, which I do not have at the moment.

Poverty is definitely increasing there, specially in places like Detroit, Philadelphia and so forth. But even in the deep South or in Detroit I haven't seen anything remotely close to the first picture. If you have something similar to the first picture from the US, i'd love to see it.
At any rate, on many social stats (World Bank data), Argentina is well within the same rage as El Salvador, Brazil, Peru, Colombia, Venezuela and Mexico. Let's take child mortality for example. Argentina has a rate of 14 deaths per 1,000 births. All the other countries mentioned above are on the 18-14 deaths per 1,000 births range. El Salvador, which was mentioned on previous posts as a classical example of a 3rd world country has a child mortality rate of 15 per 1,000, which is almost tied to Argentina. You can see for yourself here.
The US has a child mortality rate of 8 per 1,000, which is about the same as Chile (despite the fact that according to some here, they lack healthcare over there).

1st world are capitalist countries
2nd world are communist
3rd world are non-aligned
that is the correct definition
this became transformed into 3rd world being equal to poor in popular speak.
Personally I don´t like "developing nations" because it assumes that all countries "develop" in the same manner, there are just some that are behind others. The reality is more complex: some rich countries become poor, some poor countries develop rich sectors, etc

The so-called "Second World" pretty disappeared as the Berlin Wall came down. There are only minor outliers, most notably N. Korea.

chile has a lot of problems that you cant see, like a big inequality (unlike Arg and Uru, for example) or absurdly expensive universities that make a lot of chileans to come here to live and study (yes, there are more chileans in Argentina than argentines in Chile). Chile doesnt have a developed industry neither, unlike Bra or Arg. They have like Arg a strong dependency on commodities.
In social stats, as I told you several times on this forum, Arg and Chile are pretty much at the same level.

In social stats, as I told you several times on this forum, Arg and Chile are pretty much at the same level.

And you can repeat that as many times as you want, but it will not change the fact that a child mortality rate of 14 per 1,000 is over 50% higher than 8 per 1,000.

Back