Q/about Residency In The Us And Arg

becoming a resident of Argentina could be perceived as abandoning my US residency

The US government has no say on whether they "perceive" you are embracing or abandoning your Green Card. It is none of their business and even more so, they will not be notified of such a move.

You either fulfill the legal requirements to obtain and maintain a US Residency or you don't --that is a legal process and not a perception of what your intention may or may not be by a government bureaucrat.

With that out of the way, I think the options for your guys to stay here have been addressed by others.

Good luck!

Since you are going to marry an Argentine you would never apply for temporary residency,

Applying for citizenship without a DNI is a difficult process and you would probably be told by the court to get your permanent resident DNI first and then apply for citizenship. Even with a DNI , you have to have "residency" in Argentina for two years before citizenship is actually granted. Residency starts the day you first set foot on Argentine soil, not the day you are granted a DNI.

Given your situation, with permanent residency in the US and a desire to live there, I don't see any reason for applying for Argentine citizenship. Getting a DNI through marriage is going to be the quickest and easiest way to go.

You will always be able to return to Argentina with your husband even if you have been out of the county for more than two years...and you will always be able to "renew" your permanent residency as long as you are married.

I believe that, to maintain your US residency, you must return at least every two years. That was the case when my wife acquired her residency (she is now a citizen), and it may have changed in the interim.

I believe that, to maintain your US residency, you must return at least every two years. That was the case when my wife acquired her residency (she is now a citizen), and it may have changed in the interim.

Do you remember if there was a specific number of days required to stay in the US to maintain permanent residency there?

Do you remember if there was a specific number of days required to stay in the US to maintain permanent residency there?

No, we didn't bother asking because we spent nearly all our time in the States, and she got US citizenship before we went to the Falklands (at a time when she could not have entered with her Argentine passport).

Because it's not accurate.

Everyone's experience is different. It's true that it's not stated anywhere that the limit to renew a 90 day tourist visa is three times. Many, many years ago when I was going through this process I was informed in immigrations that three times was the limit and that if I attempted to got to Colonia again I would be denied entry to Argentina. They told me three times, then you must visit your home country. Some people go over and over again to Colonia with no problems, and others like me have bad luck.

I have already applied for a re-entry permit to that purpose (in the US).

Have you applied for re-entry permit in two years from now? I am afraid you effectively stated that you wish to abandon your US residency then.

If you want to be on the safe side, then more than 6 months per year. It is not strictly enforced, though. Many people manage to keep it just by visiting the USA for a couple of weeks per year and maintaining something that looks like a permanent place of living.

Given your situation, with permanent residency in the US and a desire to live there, I don't see any reason for applying for Argentine citizenship. Getting a DNI through marriage is going to be the quickest and easiest way to go.

I suggest you search in the forum for more info on "residency" through "marriage" (using advanced search).

The only document you should need from the USA is the FBI report. Once you have it, be sure you do not leave Argentina prior to submitting the papers to migraciones.

Back