Quality Of Life In Usa Vs. Argentina

Argentina seems to have a 'give and take' when it comes to quality of life. I couldn't even quantify the split in percentages because some things really depend on the audience. To me it's like having kids, they test your metal from the beginning, but you made the decision to have them so you ride it out... but unlike my child, I don't love it here, and at times I've been pushed too far and curse the day I stepped off the airplane. Other times I think positive in how I intend to take on a future here (but it's not going to be in BA or other large Argentine city, that's for sure)... most times I'm indifferent because in the back of my mind, if it's not one thing, it's another... elsewhere, so what's the point in lamenting over it.

I miss what was, but now I'm different; returning to expect what-once-was could never happen. In the meantime, I have far too much shit to contend with to even weigh the difference between here and there.

The one thing that I didn't do was to be absorbed by that "this is Argentina so be Argentine" mentality. I do as I see fit and avoid that whole aspect of melting into this culture. I don't watch futbol or drink mate just because it's the thing to do here... I pay taxes and suffer the usual BS, so I feel entitled to have it my way in my home at least.

Agree with you gpop and sometimes I even feel guilty for not loving Argentina.
I don't love it, I just happen to live here and try to make the most of that.
I tried to explain to a group of bikers one of the things I do like, which is that there is a freedom which we no longer have in the UK in that here we're not being monitored constantly. Bad driving aside, you're generally left to your own devices on the road.

I'm sure all the products Argentina imports from China are only from factories with top-notch standards, no child workers, great wages, health insurance and retirement funds...

The import regulations protects the work under fair conditions here. The US, instead, moved the factories to China because it is easier to slave people there, and the US has a long tradition about slavery.

Please bajo, you are not really that naive, are you? Who checks the production conditions of the cheap Chinese clothes for example and how? "There is no label 'made by child workers' on the shirt, it's gotta be fine'"...

Please bajo, you are not really that naive, are you? Who checks the production conditions of the cheap Chinese clothes for example and how? "There is no label 'made by child workers' on the shirt, it's gotta be fine'"...

As far as this is imposible, there are high taxes on clothes. That is why you almost don`t see Chinese clothes here. there are also administrative barriers that makes import them dificul while in the US you have Whole Foods and its fair trade marketing.

I remember I saw a documentary about slave work in US territory where they brought chinese workers and they retained their passports and made them work without payment. When a US Congress woman when there to see WTF was going on, one of the workes offer her his kiddney for sale to pay the ticket to go home because after years of working they only had debts. It was on the clothes industry and they have a made in US label. You probably know more about this scandal.

Who is naive?

You are if you think taxes on imported goods prevent inhuman working conditions in the producing country. Your argument doesn't make sense, and you probably know it but need a way to show that you dislike the USA. Which is fine with me, but please don't pretend any country who imports the cheaply produced goods from China nowadays doesn't support indirectly the situation.

Folks,

Imposing western wages and labor laws in China would destroy employment in that country. The average Chinese worker has 1/8 of the productivity of a German worker and 1/2 of the productivity of a Mexican worker. Without the lower cost, there is no reason for any company to go there. Do you really think that the Chinese would be better off without those jobs? Let's not forget that in the last 20 years, hundreds of MILLIONS of Chinese joined the middle class for the first time. As more companies move in, the labor market becomes more tight and working conditions naturally increase. Just to give you guys an idea, average industrial wages in China have increased 400% in the past 10 years.

3dEDBru.jpg

The explosion of the Chinese middle class completely negates this narrative of vast armies of exploited workers in China. Are there poor working conditions? Of course! But a lot less than there was 10 years ago and a lot more than what we will see 10 years from now. As the country gets wealthier, the economy more complex, and with more capital, workers conditions will improve. It is a matter of supply and demand.

Agree with you gpop and sometimes I even feel guilty for not loving Argentina.
I don't love it, I just happen to live here and try to make the most of that.
I tried to explain to a group of bikers one of the things I do like, which is that there is a freedom which we no longer have in the UK in that here we're not being monitored constantly. Bad driving aside, you're generally left to your own devices on the road.

Indeed. It's so great that there are no corrupt cops after coimas at arbitrary roadside "safety inspections."

You are if you think taxes on imported goods prevent inhuman working conditions in the producing country. Your argument doesn't make sense, and you probably know it but need a way to show that you dislike the USA. Which is fine with me, but please don't pretend any country who imports the cheaply produced goods from China nowadays doesn't support indirectly the situation.

No, it doesn`t.

I just dislike the argument that the US is better because the clothes there are cheaper. Right! I accept that if the same person defends slavery at the same time.

If you want to be honest, the only reason to do not regularize the 10 million illegal workers in the US is because being illegal they don`t have to pay them the minimum wage.

What I dislike is the preach that the US is the best democracy in the world when you have serious issues there that were already solved in almost any other civilized country like health, due process, the prohibition of torture, the regulation of weapons, the illegality of brives to politicians (I refer to lobby) among others.

So, going back to the topic: health, education, guns regulations, vacations as a right, family oriented society. slave free culture and the social network is what made me decide to come back to Argentina because I see on this things life quality.

Back