Questions About Citizenship Process In Argentina

jevalove

Registered
Hi there,

I am from the US and have applied for citizenship with the federal courts in Córdoba.

I have been living here for almost 5 years. I had an DNI, but recently it expired when I was out of the country and I didn't realize it, but they said I would have to start all over again to renew it now. But before I left the country, I had submitted my case for citizenship with my then current DNI.

Now I am in the system, and I wait...

Does anyone have any advice for me about these questions:

1. I would love to not start my DNI all over again (now the monthly requirement for rentista is like 22,000 pesos a month I think) . Do you think that if I keep depositing the 8000 pesos a month into my Argentine bank account that that will be good enough for the citizenship process? I still have the rental agreement that I used for the rentista visa for the DNI.

Or is the only way to continue now with citizenship is to get the DNI again?

2. Would it hurt my case if I left the country during the year it takes them to review my case? I have been living here 5 years but now I'm itching to do some travel, but I'm scared to leave in case it would blow my citizenship case. Any knowledge about this?

I know that they will come do an in house interview at some point (will they do this even if I live 2 hours from the city?) but my thought was to come back once they made the first attempt and reschedule it.

If anyone has any clear advice or experience around these questions, I'd really appreciate your wisdom and thoughts! Also if anyone has questions for me about my experience so far with DNI and citizenship, I'm happy to help.

Things vary a great deal depending on where you live and the officers you deal with, so every experience is unique.

As far as your particular situation, I think you should be fine as you had everything okay at the momento of your application, and you have already been a resident for at least 2 years.

As far as money goes, for citizenship there is no threshold. You simply have to prove you have "Medio de vida", i.e. you can support yourself. You stated your monthly income in your original application, so have the documentation ready to support that figure. It could be passive or active income, they just want to see you won't be a burden to the country's welfare. There are people living on 6,000 ARS a month, but at the court they are not stupid, so prove a likely income for a person like you.

About leaving... things start getting itchy when you start providing criminal records, as they have an expiration date (6 months) and expire every time you leave the country, so it is not advisable to leave the country in-between the application. However, once you are at a later stage you can simply call and inform the court office about your travel plans.
I am currently at the n-1 stage and I was told "keep on with your life, just give us a call if you plan to leave the country".

What application stage are you at? Have you checked your application status? You usually have to go inquire in person and not wait for them to call you. They won't.

I would love to not start my DNI all over again (now the monthly requirement for rentista is like 22,000 pesos a month I think) .

Or is the only way to continue now with citizenship is to get the DNI again?

The monthly income requirement for the visa rentista is now $30K. The threshold for paying 30% income tax (as an individual) is about $19K.

So, if your rental income is less than $19K per month (might be $19.500) you won't owe income tax unless rental income is taxed differently.

You don't need to have a DNI to apply for citizenship. You may not even need a lawyer, even though you temporary residency has expired.

I suggest you go to the federal court and tell them you want to apply for citizenship.

They will tell you exactly what you need.

That was very helpful, thank you. I'm also in stage 1.

When my DNI expired, the bank closed my bank account! I can't believe they were that efficient.

So do I need to prove "medio de vida" specifically by depositing money into an Argentinian bank account? Because the only way to have a bank account is with a DNI! So I'm stuck now.

Can I show ATM receipts? Or is there some other way? What do they want to see exactly?

Because the only way to have a bank account is with a DNI! So I'm stuck now.

I know blokes who have lived for almost 10 years in BA and dont have a bank account as yet nor want one. Why are you so eager to have one?

I guess I don't... For my DNI I was showing bank statements... But I understand that for citizenship it isn't necessary now. It seemed like an easier way to show incoming funds, but now I have to think of another way to prove it.

Does anyone know how long police certificate background check from home country is valid for when applying for Argentine residency? Is Buenos Aires the only location to apply for permanent residency?

It should be valid for 6 months provided you don't travel back to your home country after turning it in.

Does anyone know how long police certificate background check from home country is valid for when applying for Argentine residency? Is Buenos Aires the only location to apply for permanent residency?

I believe the home country background check is good for 90 days. So is the Argentine police report.

You are applying for permanent residency without having temporary residency? That's possible if you marry an Argentine. Where you can apply depends on where you live.

Todos aquellos extranjeros NO nativos de los países miembros y estados asociados al MERCOSUR deberán iniciar sus solicitudes de residencia, en el Departamento Gestión de Trámites NO MERCOSUR, de la Dirección de Radicaciones, de la Dirección General de Inmigración, Dirección Nacional de Migraciones, o en alguna de sus delegaciones en el interior del país.

All foreigners who are NOT natives of MERCOSUR member countries and states must initiate their residency applications in the Department of Non-Mercosur Procedures, the Directorate of Radications, the General Directorate of Immigration, the National Migration Directorate, or one of its delegations in the interior of the country

http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesible/indexP.php?residencias

Delegaciones de la Dirección Nacional de Migraciones habilitadas

LA RIOJA
CORDOBA
LA PLATA
ALMIRANTE BROWN
ROSARIO
MENDOZA
SAN JUAN
BAHIA BLANCA
MAR DEL PLATA
RIO GALLEGOS
ENTRE RIOS
FORMOSA
VIEDMA
BARILOCHE
USHUAIA
CORRIENTES
SAN LUIS
POSADAS
IGUAZU
JUJUY
SALTA
TUCUMÁN
PUERTO MADRYN
RAWSON
COMODORO RIVADAVIA
NEUQUÉN
LA PAMPA

mapa_delegaciones_16.jpg

http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesible/indexP.php?delegaciones

Thanks for info steve - much appreciated. Can you confirm which category of tramite I need to apply for a turno when going for permanant residency via child born here to Argentine parent?

http://imgur.com/a/hL0fg

Looks like Rosario is the closest option for me - happy I don't have to go to BA.

Back