Racism In Ba?!??

I think racism is as universal as ignorance and therefore takes on many different forms even as ignorance does. I tend to side with Eds posts and insights. Yes there is racism it is just pointed at different ethnicity groups in different ways down here. I do not believe you will find the same flavor of ignorance down here as up north by any means.

I think in Europe they are much more racist/xenophobe and conservative. I don't think you will experience any racism if you'll live in a rich and developed barrio like the areas of Palermo you have been suggested. Lots of expats, lots of well educated people, people who travelled a lots, foreigners, tourists.

Besides, there is a lot more than skin that tells where you are from, especially in a country like this one which has been commercially isolated for some years. Your clothes, the way you wear your hair, the way you move or behave, your accessories, your phone, etc. I think you'll do fine here.

Pick Buenos Aires over Paris!

I think in Europe they are much more racist/xenophobe and conservative. I don't think you will experience any racism if you'll live in a rich and developed barrio like the areas of Palermo you have been suggested. Lots of expats, lots of well educated people, people who travelled a lots, foreigners, tourists.

Besides, there is a lot more than skin that tells where you are from, especially in a country like this one which has been commercially isolated for some years. Your clothes, the way you wear your hair, the way you move or behave, your accessories, your phone, etc. I think you'll do fine here.

Pick Buenos Aires over Paris!

Very true. Paris is not what it was in 1920 when the only Black people were American jazz musicians. Europe is incredibly xenophobic, and average Europeans say things so racist they make my skin crawl, that even Trump supporters wouldn't say. (e.g., several Spaniards and French have said it would be better to round up all Muslims and gays in the soccer stadium and shoot them -- and an Arabic friend of mine was beaten to within an inch of his life right in front of his Serbian wife, in her hometown in Serbia). So we're talking about a drastically sliding scale here. There is nothing in Argentina I've ever seen that would qualify as actual racism, even by average Alabama/Louisiana/Mississippi standards.

@ilovelucy5

Like most Brazilians, I am mixed race, so hopefully I can give you a perspective that is a little closer to your reality.

First off, let me start saying that like anywhere else in the world, Argentina has its share of wonderful people and of jerks. In that aspect, it is no different than any other place in the planet. You will find Argentines who are extremely compassionate and kind, to the point of sainthood, and Argentines that are such jerks that you will want to punch them in the face, repeatedly. You will also find everything in between. Again, no different than anywhere else.

That being said, racism is an issue in Argentina. It used to be A LOT worse 30 years ago, and the progress the country has made in the issues of race over the past 3 decades is worthy of praise. But, despite all progress, serious issues remain.
Argentina has a long history of endemic and institutionalized racism, that was pretty extreme even by South American standards, from the complete extermination of the Mapuches indians to the systematic ethnic cleansing of the black Argentines in the late 19th century.
Adolf Eichmann and Joseph Mengele did not seek refuge in Argentina by accident, after World War II.

So yes, this country has a lot of baggage, and it will take time until it comes to terms with its history ad identity. Until then, as a non-white person, you will have to learn to deal with it.
Racism in Argentina is very different from the racism you might have seen in the USA or Europe. It is not as openly aggressive or militant as you would see in developed countries. You will not find hooded people burning crosses and doing public lynching. But that is mainly because you will not find many blacks here to begin with, and the brown folks kind of "know their place" and don't disturb the normal social order of things much, so there is little reason for Argentines to get really angry and violent towards them. The racism you will see here is more in the form of scorn, condescension and disdain. Also, their perception of your income, education and nationality will be a factor on how they treat you at first. You are black, right? So here are some simple rules I came up with, based on my observations:

--> If they perceive you as an African:
That is the very bottom of the pole. In general, I think eating shit will probably not be much worse than being in Argentina. Many people will think you are a refugee and you'd receive the level of attention normally given to exotic animals at a zoo.

--> If they perceive you as Dominican/Colombian/Cuban:
Most will assume that you are a maid or part of a cleaning staff at a restaurant/hotel and living in one of the villas. Expect to be treated accordingly, or mostly ignored, as if you were not worthy of their attention. Occasional veiled or not so veiled insults might be thrown at you here and there. No store will deny you service, but the staff will assume that you are not worthy of their attention. You might become invisible to many cabs.

--> If they perceive you as a Brazilian:
In general people will be cordial or indifferent. Depending of where you are in the city, they will assume that you are a tourist and engage in conversation with the goal of selling you something. Very rarely (once a year maybe), some Argentine will try to insult you for being Brazilian, with comments such as "Imagine how rich and powerful Brazil would be if there weren't' so many black people there".

--> If they perceive you as an American:
You are at the top of the totem pole. They will usually keep their racist views to themselves, and in general be very cordial to you. For many, having an American as friend, even if black, is a great status symbol.

In regards of dating:

Sadly, white European beauty standards dominate here. Women with fair skin and straight hair (preferably brown) are greatly favored. Dark skin and black curly hair are viewed as lower social status. While many white Argentine men have fetish for dark women, having sex with one and bringing one home to meet the family are two very different things. Also, the fact that you are American will make things even more difficult, as Argentine men are used to the neurotic/submissive local girls, and most American women do not match that profile.
Does this mean that it will be impossible fr you to find love in Argentina? Not at all. But it does mean that you will need to work harder in the numbers game, in order to meet the right guy.

Hope this helps and good luck on your Argentine adventure.

Oh as a side note I have encountered anti-american views down here. Interesting to say the least. One time in bar I was verbally assaulted by a number of individuals for being american. Then I was given a free lesson in what is with wrong with Americans. After listening to all this I looked at them and said.

Do you believe that after having living in South America for X years I have anything to do with American policy or politics? Along with some other thoughts I had regrading their comments/insults. Interestingly their response was hugs and kisses Latin American style followed by lets have a drinks, life is to short.

I have had that I recall 3 anti-american encounters in about the last 10 years. As a yankee you will have a label down here even my wife's mother calls gringito but that is a term of endearment and she loves me like a son I have no doubts about that. As she often calls me by cielo and amor and many other names. I am so tired of being called gringo and gringito you have no idea but in family and friends in reality those names are spoken with love so I just have to understand that.

@ilovelucy5

--> If they perceive you as an American:
You are at the top of the totem pole. They will usually keep their racist views to themselves, and in general be very cordial to you. For many, having an American as friend, even if black, is a great status symbol.

I would agree with this great insight Camberiu I cannot tell you the number of events I have been invited to as I felt the hosts only objective was to show me off and show me how much wealth or influence the host had.

...Argentine men are used to the neurotic/submissive local girls, and most American women do not match that profile.

I'm assuming from that statement that you don't actually know any American women. I married an Argentina for a reason.

Just speaking from personal experience - but I spent 23 years dating American women.

I'm assuming from that statement that you don't actually know any American women. I married an Argentina for a reason.

Just speaking from personal experience - but I spent 23 years dating American women.

Me too...

Also, the fact that you are American will make things even more difficult, as Argentine men are used to the neurotic/submissive local girls, and most American women do not match that profile.
Thank you for this post, camberiu. I like it a lot better than the last one, with the bonus that I learned a few things. One area that I do have some expertise in, though ...

Your comment above about what Argentine men prefer is, in my experience, overstated. I'm sure there are many couples that fit your profile parameters, and of course you didn't mean it to apply to everyone, but - I'm married to an Argentine and know a ton of couples here and can say with assurance that, for the economic and social strata that ilovelucy55 will be meeting, the submissive wife is a rarity. I've probably had more stimulating conversations with the women of my acquaintance than the husbands (a lot to do with not liking football much). And it's not exaggerating to say that I probably know more submissive husbands than wives (but not by much).

This is my experience only, not to be taken as a cultural status proclamation, but when I first met my wife a loooong time ago I told all my friends, "the damndest thing has happened in Argentina! The women have liberated themselves - and haven't told the men!"

So the men can prefer whatever they want - what most of them will get is what we call your "assertive woman." Lots of those here.

Yeah, I do agree that some places in the United States are worse than anything I think I'd ever encounter overseas. I am just a "wonderer" I guess and a lot of black people are afraid to travel. So I can understand when you say that its not necessarily racism but more an unknown.

Back