Racism Towards People From The States?

I would say that 90% of Argentines assume that I'm American (substitute with North American, Yankee etc) when I start to speak to them, which I find neither offensive or complimentary, more amusing or passive really.
When they discover I'm British, they go all gooey and tell me how they (not all of them of course) wish the Brits had succeeded in colonising Argentina all those years ago, yawn.
I was roundly attacked once on an Argentine motorbike club forum by a member who had a real problem with the Falklands/Malvinas issue. he subsequently left the club, whilst the rest of the members rallied to my support.
One has to stand back and look at the wider picture most of the time.

Anyone who judges a person based on their nationality is an absolute tossbag... I have met dickheads and legends from all countries. That being said I have not had any problems here when people find out where I'm from. The most common question I get is what the fuck I am doing here when I could live in my home country - a lovely 80 year old lady from my gym asked the same!! My answer was because of the people (not just girlfriend)...

I have never met any Argentinian actually thinking Falklands belong to Argentina. And if we know, that even brits few times wanted to hand them over due to high costs is not really so stupid for Argentinians thinking they should belong to them. At the end this is what happened to most British Overseas territories...

But I met quite few Argentinians recognising war and recent efforts as delusional and stupid.

There is simply no comparation between Argentina that managed to make one mini war in last century and country that is making one or two every year...

However, if you're flying a Confederate flag - or flaunting one on your gunrack or tattooing one on your arm - you are not openly admitting and freely discussing the issues.

No. You are right. The US is far from jerk-free. When we have discussions there are frequently dissenters. And I admit that we tolerate dissent. In fact I sort of like that about the US.

Bob

We do? Not so sure, specially when 25% of Americans and 50% republicans still believe that Iraq had WMDs.

I find Germany, for example, much more open and accepting of self criticism than the United States.

Do you know how the survey defined WMD? We do know, I think, that Saddam Hussein used chemical weapons on his own citizens. And I think I recall that stored chemical weapons were found. Aren't chemical weapons generally considered WMD?

I am skeptical these days of all poll results.

I certainly would never claim that every US citizen has an open mind or is well informed.

Bob

There is simply no comparation between Argentina that managed to make one mini war in last century and country that is making one or two every year...

You are comparing the bankrupt and demoralized Argentina of today with the United States. Did you know that before the defeat in the Falklands, Argentina was the most militaristic country in Latin America by a wide margin? Did you know that from the 1940s until 1982, Argentina had one of the most intensive and ambitious military buildup programs in the planet, for the dismay of all neighboring countries? Argentina was trying to build nuclear missiles and point them at Brasilia, Rio and Sao Paulo, for heavens sake. By the late 1970s, Argentina was desperately looking for a war. The Falkland War was supposed to be a war against Chile, but the Pope intervened and threatened to excommunicate Vidella if the war happened. So, Chile and Brazil, as catholic countries, were out of the question for the Argentina military, so the only option left was the Falklands.

Reactions: Joe

Are you talking about the US? "One or two every year" over the past how many years?

Bob

Back