Racism Towards People From The States?

My friend also told me that untill recently it was common when a girl first menstruates her bloody underwear be displayed outside the house to show that shes 'ready'...

That's true but it is something that was done only in Southern Italy. That's basically another country, it was until a few centuries ago and it shows today. I'd say that popular traditions and beliefs are more rooted down in the south than in the north of Italy. And that's again by virtues of the different histories of the north vs the south. This is the reason why they don't get along very well even today.

That's true but it is something that was done only in Southern Italy. That's basically another country, it was until a few centuries ago and it shows today. I'd say that popular traditions and beliefs are more rooted down in the south than in the north of Italy. And that's again by virtues of the different histories of the north vs the south. This is the reason why they don't get along very well even today.
The youtube video in this post gives an entertaining history lesson on Southern Italy: http://baexpats.org/...se/#entry191423

I am very confident that if he was indeed a black Congolese living in Buenos Aires, his whole take on the place would be very different, and white expats here would be the LEAST of his concerns.

How wrong you are Mr wiseman from Brazil!

You just want me to abuse Argentina/Argentines and then you would be satisfied.

Joe, you can do better than posting two Americans talking in English with some bad pronounced dialectal word of Sicilian. I mean, do you really think that mafia in Italy is like that?
Maybe the NJ mafia is like that or like in the Soprano, but mafia in Italy is not made of people dressed with jumpers and driving SUV.

If you want to have a look at the real mafia, you should watch movies by Paolo Sorrentino, not from Quentin Tarantino!
Two titles come to mind mind Le conseguenze dell'amore (The consequences of love), and I cento passi (One hundreds steps). Modern mafia is less cinematographic than in the past. It has somewhat reached new heights, it has infiltrated more and deeper in the society. Mafia is everywhere, is no longer a thing of the South. Mafia is in fancy stores and nice restaurants, not (only) in dusty country homes in the middle of Sicily.

In Argentina they are just beginners, in this sense.

No of course neither the Argentine or US mafia is the same as the original - just like the Italian food is not the same. The influence is there all the same.

I'd say Argentinians are a very (very!) pale copy of Italians. In some things, they are similars, but for many others they are quite the opposite. Overall, I'd say there are more points of difference than of analogy, though they think exactly the opposite. But I grant you - they are very far from Italians, nowadays.

How wrong you are Mr wiseman from Brazil!

You just want me to abuse Argentina/Argentines and then you would be satisfied.
I understand you want to be a accepted by your adopted land - just like a young orphan wants to be accepted by his adoptive parents - so you parrot the anti-American dogma of the Argentine political mainstream

But you will only be accepted by Argentines once Argentina has an Afro-Argentine president like the US has Obama.

So English speaking Yankees are taunting you in Buenos Aires?

Not taunting me on the road or pulling my clothes in the disgusting way, cos if they do indeed try that - then I would beat the shit out of them in my reply to them.

Not "English" speaking whites ( cos Australians, British, New Zealanders are aboslutely normal)

--

But when we have social get togethers or house parties ( I am a big fan of house parties and love socializing) where I come across American expats, they do say racial things and make racial comments and behave as if they are superior, just because they have a fairer color or because they have a American passport or they speak like a American etc. or as if the world is USA and rest of us on the planet are aliens.

Not taunting me on the road or pulling my clothes in the disgusting way, cos if they do indeed try that - then I would beat the shit out of them in my reply to them.

Not "English" speaking whites ( cos Australians, British, New Zealanders are aboslutely normal)

--

But when we have social get togethers or house parties ( I am a big fan of house parties and love socializing) where I come across American expats, they do say racial things and make racial comments and behave as if they are superior, just because they have a fairer color or because they have a American passport or they speak like a American etc. or as if the world is USA and rest of us on the planet are aliens.

Can you give an example of racist comments that you heard made by an American? I find it surprising, not because I don't consider Americans racist, but rather overly politically correct, opposed to for example, the French or Argentines. All of this is a gross generalization, of course.

Back