Receiving a Package/Parcel from Home

Yes you can receive packages here. You have to be registered with AFIP (e.g. as a self-employed person), and be able to navigate your online banking "mis pagos online" feature, both of which will allow you to generate and pay the electronic AFIP invoice ("VEP"). The import duties are calculated based on the FOB (i.e. value + cost of shipping, at the official exchange rate) value of the package, I don't know the percentage offhand but I can find out, since we did this quite recently. It wasn't 100%+.

Even if you send via DHL, DHL will release the package to customs once it arrives in Argentina. You get notified by customs, they send a link by email to take you to a page where you can generate the documents for payment, you pay your VEP, and then wait until Correos, not DHL, deliver your package. We were able to track the package on the Correos website, and if I remember correctly from arrival to delivery it took about 2 weeks in CABA.

This is speculative, but since Correos manage delivery here in Argentina, it shouldn't matter too much whether something is sent by delivery service or by normal post. We had something sent by post, which got here, could be tracked, but I wasn't able to get it out of customs because I'm not registered with AFIP. It got sent back to the sender (and it arrived there).

Too much FUD in this this thread already.
If it’s send by normal post it won’t even get as far as Aduana to generate the VEP.
I don’t know where you get your information from but from the previous time we sent something DHL prior to this. We paid the customs fees and DHL brought the package.

If it’s send by normal post it won’t even get as far as Aduana to generate the VEP.
I don’t know where you get your information from but from the previous time we sent something DHL prior to this. We paid the customs fees and DHL brought the package.
You obviously didn't bother to read my post, where I say " We had something sent by post, which got here, could be tracked, but I wasn't able to get it out of customs because I'm not registered with AFIP. It got sent back to the sender (and it arrived there)". So yes, a package was sent here by normal post and it most certainly got to Aduanas. You're absolutely wrong when you claim the contrary.

I get my information from personal experience, something I can recommend to you. For the DHL package last month, I saved the screenshots from the websites, including the Correos tracking here in Argentina (not DHL), so I can post them any time... on an FOB value of $69 we paid a total of 1168 pesos. Where on Earth do you get your "100%+" import duty and the rest of your imaginary information from?

I think you’re some kind of Kirchnerist crank.
You said even if it’s sent by DHL it will be delivered by correos argentinos didn’t happen to us in our case.
I can’t be bothered detailing the cost of everything that was sent but at a push it might have been 40000 pesos. Which means 100% of the cost.

One easy way to get things here is using AA COURIER service from Miami to BA. First you have to register in the AA net page with yor name, address here, email, phone #,etc. They will asign you a PO BOX # in Miami inside their warehouse.
The procedure is rather simple, first you declare the item(s) you are sending (no more than three of a kind), attach an electronic copy of the bill(s), and send the package there using USPS, UPS, FEDEX,etc (specify delivery M to F from 9 AM to 5 PM). Specify if it is door delivery or pick up at Aeroparque. There is a list of prohibited items, of course. Then AA will issue you a bill of pay that includes all the fees like AFIP duties, handling charges, etc. You make a payment (using PAYPAL or any other method), and presto! you will get the stuff at your door.
Duties are 50 % of declared values, except books.

Last edited:
Last week I received a Chess book, and now I am shipping here a set of golf clubs and bag.

If they sent things DHL I’m surprised they have never arrived, I have never had any trouble to send or receive anything if sent DHL.
Yes it is expensive but it has always got there in the quoted time in my experience.
yeah a lot of people seem to think DHL is fail safe but I'm the proof it's really not

Has anyone received any care packages from home lately during the pandemic? What has been you experiences, if any?
On the offchance that this is useful to you, here's the information I have at hand, from an order we made in June:

Order.jpg:

And the various import taxes, duties, and so on charged on arrival here in Argentina:

Import taxes.jpg

The taxes and duties charged are in the same ballpark as a previous, failed, attempt to receive a package here (that would have been USD 23 on an FOB value of USD 200 or so), so I guess they're generally applicable. The procedure is as I indicated a few posts back, it's possible, if not exactly straightforward.

Back