Receiving a Package/Parcel from Home

On the offchance that this is useful to you, here's the information I have at hand, from an order we made in June:

View attachment 7809:

And the various import taxes, duties, and so on charged on arrival here in Argentina:

View attachment 7810

The taxes and duties charged are in the same ballpark as a previous, failed, attempt to receive a package here (that would have been USD 23 on an FOB value of USD 200 or so), so I guess they're generally applicable. The procedure is as I indicated a few posts back, it's possible, if not exactly straightforward.

The various tax rates are different depending on the type of product and the declared value....both of which aren't clear here.
Taxes normally calculated on CIF (Cost + insurance + freight) and Amazon Global for example who ship to argentina will take a deposit of 100% of the CIF.

The various tax rates are different depending on the type of product and the declared value....both of which aren't clear here.
Taxes normally calculated on CIF (Cost + insurance + freight) and Amazon Global for example who ship to argentina will take a deposit of 100% of the CIF.
Good info, thanks! And you’re right, I should have said CIF rather than FOB. Since you seem to be knowledgeable about this, how would you expect taxes and duties to be calculated on a package, for example from home, with several items, that’s described as a “present” on the shipping document?

Good info, thanks! And you’re right, I should have said CIF rather than FOB. Since you seem to be knowledgeable about this, how would you expect taxes and duties to be calculated on a package, for example from home, with several items, that’s described as a “present” on the shipping document?

Declared as gift makes no difference, you have to estimate its value

Taxes/Duties depends if it is under puerta a puerta (correo argentina) or pequenos-envios (private courier)
https://www.argentina.gob.ar/comprar-en-el-exterior-con-entrega-puerta-puerta - with correro argentina (see limits below)
https://www.argentina.gob.ar/comprar-en-el-exterior-con-el-sistema-de-pequenos-envios - with a Courier Internacional - 5 veces por año calendario y por persona.

Puerta a Puerta is the most favourable with plenty of exemptions
-> no pesen más de 20 kg de peso;
-> no pagues por ellos más de U$S 3.000.- (tres mil dólares estadounidenses);
-> sean para uso personal y no comercial.

Para los primeros 12 envíos:
  • Si el valor de tu envío no supera los USD 50, no corresponde pago.
  • Si el valor de tu envío supera los USD 50, pagarás el 50% sobre el excedente de ese valor.
  • Cuando superes los 12 envíos en el año: pagarás el 50% del valor de tu envío.
  • Tasa de Correo: $140.- en todos los casos.

Otherwise the following gives some good examples of the different taxes involved and you can see how they add up and are well over 50%

DHL finally delivered our package today after we paid the duties.
We paid well over 50% of what it costs us to buy the items in the Uk. I don’t know how they calculate the original value.
You need a bank account here in order to be able to pay the VEP and you’ll need to provide DHL your CUIT for them to be able to send it.

DHL finally delivered our package today after we paid the duties.
We paid well over 50% of what it costs us to buy the items in the Uk. I don’t know how they calculate the original value.
You need a bank account here in order to be able to pay the VEP and you’ll need to provide DHL your CUIT for them to be able to send it.

easy to see it been over 50%, based on all the following taxes you get hit with:
* derechos de importación AD VALOREM, que van desde el 0%, 8%, 14%,16%, 18%, 20%, 25% y 35%
looks to me that they come from the following sources
-> https://www.mercosur.int/politica-comercial/ncm/
-> http://historico.tarifar.com/tarifar/html/temp/1-anexo-i-ncm-2017-vi-enmienda.pdf
* IVA tasa general del 21% o 10,5% si la importación se refiere a bienes de capital, informática o de telecomunicaciones. (Artículo 1° de la Ley 23.3449 inc. y Decreto 2407/86 Artículo 2°).
* IVA Adicional del 20% (Resolución General AFIP 3373/2012).
* Impuesto a las ganancias del 6% (Resolución General AFIP 3373/2012).
* Ingresos Brutos si corresponden del 3% (Resolución General AFIP 3373/2012).
* Tasa de Oficialización de Aduana de US$10,00 aplicable a todos los casos.
* Tasa de Digitalización de Aduana de US$28,00 aplicable a todos los casos.
* Tasa de SENASA Madera de US$18 + IVA. Solo si la mercancía posee embalaje de madera. (Resolución SENASA 614/5).

http://www.cyta.com.ar/biblioteca/bddoc/bdlibros/ga/c_anexos.htm - some more exact info on making all the above calculations

Thank you Mr. Lynch, I feel like a tsunami of information has hit me, but it’s very good to have this here as a reference going forward. We are, like I suspect the OP is, very occasional importers. The example I provided was for clothing.

Hey folks. If i'm going to have a friend send me a package with three small items, what's the easiest way to receive it? Cost isn't a huge issue, but what's the fastest/most reliable method of sending to guarantee that i'll actually receive the package?

This is what i'm currently considering:
1) have them send it via fedex for pick up at the fedex store in belgrano
2) have them send it via DHL for delivery to a friends' office in palermo.

If using either of these options, at what point are the additional taxes charged? Is there a way for this package to go through DHL without declaring a CUIL? I don't have a visa. If it's necessary, I can use a friends' number but would prefer not to cause them any tax headache.

Very much appreciate it in advance.

Hey folks. If i'm going to have a friend send me a package with three small items, what's the easiest way to receive it? Cost isn't a huge issue, but what's the fastest/most reliable method of sending to guarantee that i'll actually receive the package?

This is what i'm currently considering:
1) have them send it via fedex for pick up at the fedex store in belgrano
2) have them send it via DHL for delivery to a friends' office in palermo.

If using either of these options, at what point are the additional taxes charged? Is there a way for this package to go through DHL without declaring a CUIL? I don't have a visa. If it's necessary, I can use a friends' number but would prefer not to cause them any tax headache.

Very much appreciate it in advance.

The most important question is what's in the package? This will determine recommendations/how to proceed.

The most important question is what's in the package? This will determine recommendations/how to proceed.
three small sunglasses clip-ons. I'm more than happy to pay for the 50% import cost, it's just a matter of how that's handled. is it paid for in advance when the shipper sends via DHL? Is it sent as a bill to the person whose CUIL is declared on the shipment? Do i have to pay it before the goods are released from customs?

Back