Relocating To Salta, Cordoba Or San Luis

valergal

Registered
I am DONE with BA. I am planning to travel Salta, Cordoba and San Luis for 2 months and hopefully find somewhere nice where to settle down. I've heard great things about Salta but I am not sure about the weather. I've been to Traslasierra in Cordoba and I loved it but I would like to spend more time there before making a decision. Basically, I am looking for smaller-town living, fresh air, nature, perhaps a river, mountains to climb, lower cost of living and less crime. I am not to fond of super fond of extreme weather but I can survive "short" cold winters (I lived in Canada for 14 years:).

Does anyone have any info to share that could be helpful?

Thanks!

I am DONE with BA. I am planning to travel Salta, Cordoba and San Luis for 2 months and hopefully find somewhere nice where to settle down. I've heard great things about Salta but I am not sure about the weather. I've been to Traslasierra in Cordoba and I loved it but I would like to spend more time there before making a decision. Basically, I am looking for smaller-town living, fresh air, nature, perhaps a river, mountains to climb, lower cost of living and less crime. I am not to fond of super fond of extreme weather but I can survive "short" cold winters (I lived in Canada for 14 years:).

Does anyone have any info to share that could be helpful?

Thanks!

I like Cafayate a lot. Summer days can get hot, but it's high enough that things always cool off at night. Fine wine - many wineries within staggering distance of each other - and plenty of mountains.

We have lived in La Falda, Cordoba for 4 years now....no other expats here, but we are still happy here. PM me if you are planning a visit and I can help.

There are some new wineries in San Luis, also an organic one, few kilometers away from "el algarrobo del abuelo".

There is a great cook living in Merlo, Giorgio Fabrizio, who is now cooking at La Cupula Resto. He lived abroad, so he will be able to give you his insights.

Cayfayte is undoubtedly a nice place to visit, but would it be a good place to live? How easy (or difficult) would it be to find a place to rent?:

In October 2014 (in the "Country Life In Argentina: What's It Really Like" thread), polostar88 asked:

"Does anyone have any clues on RENTING a modest place in Salta or Cafayate or that region? I know in rural Peru you can rent a place for as little as $100/month or maybe $150. Does anything comparable exist in the Argentinian countryside?"

Here is a portion of my answer:

I had lunch with several Argentine friends yesterday and mentioned this. The immediate response was that because Cafayate is a tourist destination there wouldn't be any cheap rentals. Another response was that any "long term" rental would require a guarantee. That was added by someone who recently rented a nice "house" in a nearby town for $2500 pesos per month. He was able to provide a guarantee using a lot he owns in Pehuen Co.

I first became aware of Cafayate when I began searching for a "country home" in early 2010 and (using google) found the link to this article in the NYT:

http://www.nytimes.c...wanted=all&_r=0

It was in this article that I first read about La Estancia Cafayate, a development comprised of 360 home sites (from 1,500 square meters to 17,000 square meters) catering to wealthy foreigners (as well as a few Argentines). All of the smaller lots were sold at an average price of about $100 USD per square meter. About 60 homes have been built there so far.

One of the challenges faced by those who are building homes at La Estancia Cafayate is finding any place to rent in Cafayate during the construction of their homes. Obviously, those who can pay $150K (and up) USD for a building site (as well as about $350 per month for "maintenance" fees at LAC) are going to be prime candidates for long term rentals (even modest ones) in Cafayate, and of course they have the property with which to provide a guarantee.

Here's a link to the La Estancia Cafayate web site: http://www.lec.com.ar/

And here's a scathing (as well as entertaining) blog post about La Estancia Cafayate that was written by an Argentine who now lives in Ireland:

http://ferfal.blogsp...a-cafayate.html

Back