Rentista Visa Questions

FirstAidKit

Registered
Hello,

I've been searching the forum for a while and reading different Visa threads, and I haven't seen an answer to my specific question.

I've been here for 18 months now overstaying my tourist visa for 9 months of that, and I'd like to move to a Rentista visa if possible. I don't own property myself, but my family does and are happy to send me a monthly stipend more than enough to meet the 8000 peso requirement. Alternatively, I have enough in savings that I could passively live off the same amount. Does anyone have any experience, or know if its possible, or if it is possible HOW to go about setting something like that up? I've sent out a few emails to immigration support offices here and I'm yet to hear back, and I'd obviously prefer not to be charged a lot of money if its something simple.

Any help would be really useful!

Immigration for Dummies (post #71):

#2.2. Rentista. Monthly Minimum very clearly specified (currently = $8000 pesos) and can NOT be changed arbitrarily without a new law or decree !. ... it hasn´t changed since the Dollar was 3 pesos. This is an ANOMALY (in your favor, … welcome to Argentina!!!) that can not last for much longer, and may never happen again. Non negotiable $8000 pesos. Immigration Agents have no DISCRETION on it. They don´t estimate, asses or evaluate, what it SHOULD be on an individual basis, how many members in your family, cost of living, … nothing of the sort. …. But they have to verify if the source is acceptable, if it´s laundry, ... etc.

35]· MONTHLY PASSIVE INCOME is the criteria, e.g. Rent, Stock dividends, trust fund, interest, Capital Gains, etc (NO assets, NO Salary).

35]· If you have a million Dollar sitting in the Bank, only the interest is your Monthly Income. If the interest is below $8000 peso, then you have to convert some of your $1 million to a Trust Fund that will pay you Monthly Passive Income. Or buy a real state property that pays you Monthly Passive Income (rent).

35]· Set up a Panamanian company (they say it´s easy to do), with creative accounting it will regularly pay you a Passive Monthly Income in the form of stock Dividends (NOT Salary).

Thanks Jantango! Some more digging found this (old) post from SteveinBsAs about setting up an irrevocable trust:

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]I think the required amount for the visa rentista is now $2700 pesos per month ($720U$D). [/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]If you have $27,000 US you could set up an "irrevocable trust account" with a US or (hopefully) a French bank that makes automatic distributions into your ATM accessible checking account in the amount of $720 per month or $2700 pesos. The $27,000 represents three years of future "stable" income, which is exactly what the regulations for receiving the visa rentista stipulate. A notarized letter from a bank officer that "certifies" the existence of the account should be acceptable to migraciones. [/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]An original "copy" of the trust agreement should be attached to the cover letter from the bank, which explicitly refers to the details of the trust (especially the amount of monthly income) and includes your full name, date of birth, and passport number. Together they can receive the seal of the Apostille and then be translated and legalized here. I know this from experience. [/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]This does mean that the funds will be tied up for the "life" of the trust: until all the funds have been distributed or your Argentine visa expires ([/background]if[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)] you can so designate), but for the "life" of the trust the beneficiary is actually receiving his/her own funds, so what's the problema? A couple can designate each other as the "surviving" beneficiary in case one of you expires before the trust distributes all of the funds.[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]If the "trust" is irrevocable" you shouldn't need a new letter from the bank each year when you go to renew the visa It won't hurt, but you will have to pay to have it Apostilled, sent, translated, and legalized. I didn't for the first two renewals, but I provided one on the third renewal as I was upgrading to permanent residency. The bank didn't even charge for it (though I had to pay for the Apostille, translation, and legalization). The fees to manage a trust account like this should be minimal, as once set up, the bank may do nothing more than make the monthly (computer generated) transfers (certainly the case if the investments are "fixed" (CD's) for three years).[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Be prepared to "prove" (to AFIP if there is every any question) that these are funds you earned in the past and already paid taxes on and not new "income" subject to taxes in Argentina. Migraciones won't ask about taxes and probably won't even question the source of the funds in the trust...just look to see that the funds generate the required monthly income. A notarized letter/statement from a CPA can receive the Apostille and be translated and legalized here, too if there is ever a question from AFIP. I can recommend a great Argentine accountant who does not gouge expats.[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Be sure that all of the letters, statements, and documents have the [/background]exact[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)] same name as your birth certificate and passport (no middle initial)![/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]I also suggest that you include a provision in the trust that control of the funds in the trust will be returned to you if you are denied the residency in Argentina or if the renewal of your visa is ever denied! If that is not possible, you will at least have the "stable" monthly income wherever you are living until all of the funds in the trust have been distributed. [/background]

Obviously, the peso figure is out of date but the dollar figure is roughly the same (official rates, of course). I have enough in savings that I could pull off 2 years, but I think 3 would unfortunately be out of my limit...

SteveinBsAs, if you see this, did you set up the trust yourself or did you pay someone else to do that? You'd think for something that simple (set some, monthly payments) it would be possible to do yourself, or if its better to get a solicitor to draw it up.

A fixed annuity could do the same as a trust (provide guaranteed, fixed monthly income), but without the setup costs of a trust (i.e., no lawyer needed). But the shortest-term annuities seem to be like 5+ years, so you'd have to set aside that required amount of capital. Maybe you could dissolve the annuity once you have residency, and get the capital back - I'm not sure.

But remember, in the end, what will satisfy migraciones is the letter you get (from a CPA, I guess), and the wording it uses. Start there and work backwards. It would suck to spend a bunch of money to setup a trust, and then have it not satisfy migraciones.

The letter is really the key. Not the kind of annuity you get.

If you can ask someone ( some CPA, bank manager, owner of some company) to write for you

Mr X will receive so much money every month in his bank account in Argentina, without fail for next 10 years. We hereby guarantee it and confirm the money belongs to Mr X and has been legally earned as his pension/ rent/ annuity/social security etc

would do the trick.

I am at the end of this process. I just visited Migraciones and was told I only need one more document.

In my experience, the formal arrangement of the money is irrelevant. But proof is required. I brought in a set of financial statements that clearly show I meet the threshold. And I brought in a letter from the financial institution indicating that I am a viable, long-term customer, with a stable track record. The lawyers at the financial institution had to review the letter and the best they could come up with was along the lines of, "provided nothing else changes, the threshold will be met."

Migraciones would like to see, "It is 100% certain that this income will continue forever..." But my financial institution would not write that.

Additionally, I have an atm card linked to this account, which indicates to Migraciones that I have ready access to such funds. The financial insitution letter also confirms this.

Now, this financial institution would not notarize the letter. And therefore, it could not be apostilled. And this is my missing link.

So I contacted an attorney whom I have known for a long time, we have done some work on and off for many years. After reviewing the financial statements, and said letter, he is producing an income verification statement, which will be notarized and apostilled and sent here. Once it arrives, it will be translated and, according to the gentleman at Migraciones, my application for residencia rentista will be approved.

Fingers crossed.

Any other questions, send me a PM.

My rentista was just approved. I paid US $1.8k to have it all sorted through ARCA which is higher than average but if you want it all taken care of with no dramas and done right the first time I cant recommend them highly enough. Its all 100% money back guaranteed as well in case it is rejected. My attorney is Lorena and she goes above and beyond. I can send you more details in an email if you need it.

A fixed annuity could do the same as a trust (provide guaranteed, fixed monthly income), but without the setup costs of a trust (i.e., no lawyer needed). But the shortest-term annuities seem to be like 5+ years, so you'd have to set aside that required amount of capital. Maybe you could dissolve the annuity once you have residency, and get the capital back - I'm not sure.

But remember, in the end, what will satisfy migraciones is the letter you get (from a CPA, I guess), and the wording it uses. Start there and work backwards. It would suck to spend a bunch of money to setup a trust, and then have it not satisfy migraciones.

How much $ would you have to invest in "short term" (minimum five years?) annuities to generate the dollar equivalent of $8000 pesos per month?

Assuming the official exchange rate will soon be $10USD x 1Ars, an annual dollar income of $9600 would be required to qualify for the visa rentista at the current income requirement.

Using round figures, a $200,000 annuity paying 5% (if you could get that much) would pay out $10,000 per year.

You will not be able to renew the visa rentista after you "dissolved" the annuity, so it would have to be in effect for at least three years. Once permanent residency is granted, there is no need to continue to "prove" income to migraciones.

The letter is really the key. Not the kind of annuity you get.

If you can ask someone ( some CPA, bank manager, owner of some company) to write for you

Mr X will receive so much money every month in his bank account in Argentina, without fail for next 10 years. We hereby guarantee it and confirm the money belongs to Mr X and has been legally earned as his pension/ rent/ annuity/social security etc

would do the trick.

Just getting a letter from an attorney without providing some supporting "documentation" of the income probably won't satisfy migraciones, even if the letter is notarized and has the Apostille. As others have recently posted, brokers (and probably CPA's) are not willing to sign a letter (that will be notarized) that guarantees future income.

I think ElCordobes was very fortunate to get migraciones to accept his own verification of his passive income. I wonder it that happened in Retiro? It sounds as unlikely as getting them to accept a home town police report as opposed to an FBI report...

If you have Social Security income you must provide a letter confirming the monthly benefits that is issued by the Social Security Administration in the USA or the Federal Benefits Unit at the US Embassy in Buenos Aires. The letter from the USA has to have the Apostille and be translated and the translation must be legalized in Argentina. The letter from the FBU (which I believe is already in Spanish) must be legalized in Argentina (on Aranales near the Plaza San Martin).

It isn't necessary for the letter to indicate that you will receive the funds in a bank account in Argentina, especially since first time applicants don't have bank accounts. Saying the funds are available for withdrawal from ATMs in Argentina is fine, just don't use them

I am at the end of this process. I just visited Migraciones and was told I only need one more document.

In my experience, the formal arrangement of the money is irrelevant. But proof is required. I brought in a set of financial statements that clearly show I meet the threshold. And I brought in a letter from the financial institution indicating that I am a viable, long-term customer, with a stable track record. The lawyers at the financial institution had to review the letter and the best they could come up with was along the lines of, "provided nothing else changes, the threshold will be met."

Migraciones would like to see, "It is 100% certain that this income will continue forever..." But my financial institution would not write that.

Additionally, I have an atm card linked to this account, which indicates to Migraciones that I have ready access to such funds. The financial insitution letter also confirms this.

Now, this financial institution would not notarize the letter. And therefore, it could not be apostilled. And this is my missing link.

So I contacted an attorney whom I have known for a long time, we have done some work on and off for many years. After reviewing the financial statements, and said letter, he is producing an income verification statement, which will be notarized and apostilled and sent here. Once it arrives, it will be translated and, according to the gentleman at Migraciones, my application for residencia rentista will be approved.

Any other questions, send me a PM.

Migraciones does not have to see, "It (the income) is 100% certain that this income will continue forever..."

They only have to "see" that the income will continue uninterrupted while the visa is valid (and perhaps two years beyond the date the visa expires).

My bank was able to have the letter (that I actually wrote) printed on bank stationery and notarized by a bank officer because it referred to the source of my income (funds in an irrevocable trust) and confirmed that the monthly deposits (then $1000 USD) had been received for over five years when I first applied for temporary residency and would continue indefinitely. The letter also referred to the financial institution (brokerage) where the funds were invested and from which the monthly check was received for deposit.

I did not provide any bank or brokerage statements or a letter from the brokerage. However, I had the attorney who wrote the original trust send a copy of it with a cover letter confirming the vapidity of the trust, the monthly income, and the names of the bank and the brokerage.

I hope that income from an irrevocable bank trust could still be used to qualify for the visa. An initial deposit of $30.000 would be more than enough to produce the required monthly income of $8000 pesos for three years (the official rate must be used). The funds invested in the trust could be CDs that are converted to cash to make the monthly distributions.

It would be a good idea to check if additional funds could be added to the trust on an annual basis is migraciones wants to see a three year "balance" at each renewal. I would ask a bank how much they would charge for this service. It should be very low, especially if everything is done at one bank and no outside lawyers or brokers are involved.

As I indicate in the post FirstAidKit quoted, it would also be a good idea to know in advance if the trust could be set up so that the funds could be released if the residency is not granted. Perhaps the trust could be set up initially as a revocable trust and then become irrevocable when residency is granted...or it might be possible to empower the trustee to be able to distribute the balance in the account to the income beneficiary if the residency expires and it is renewed.

My rentista was just approved. I paid US $1.8k to have it all sorted through ARCA which is higher than average but if you want it all taken care of with no dramas and done right the first time I cant recommend them highly enough. Its all 100% money back guaranteed as well in case it is rejected. My attorney is Lorena and she goes above and beyond. I can send you more details in an email if you need it.

I used Lorena 10 years ago for my rentista visa also and had the same experience. She's the best.

Back