Residencia Permanente In 2 Week Visit? Is It Even Possible?

If you're already married why wouldn't you just register the marriage with the Argentine Embassy/consulate in the US and speak to them about starting your residency process while you're still in the US. I would think having two legal ceremonies would complicate matters unnecessarily. If you're worried about the family participation you can do a religious or renewal of your vows ceremony when you're in Argentina but I wouldn't do another civil one, personally.

If you're already married why wouldn't you just register the marriage with the Argentine Embassy/consulate in the US and speak to them about starting your residency process while you're still in the US. I would think having two legal ceremonies would complicate matters unnecessarily. If you're worried about the family participation you can do a religious or renewal of your vows ceremony when you're in Argentina but I wouldn't do another civil one, personally.

This is a great suggestion! I believe someone once posted that they began the process of applying for permanent residency in the Argentine Embassy (or consulate) in their home county based on being the child of an Argentine citizen. Hopefully, it will also work in the case of marriage!

The consulate in Houston says they can neither certify marriages or begin a residency process.

Your results may vary.

The consulate in Houston says they can neither certify marriages or begin a residency process.

Your results may vary.

The embassy website indicates that you can start a residency visa based on relatives, which include a spouse. I haven't gone through the process, but I would certainly contact them to see what the deal it.

In any case you would need to have your marriage certificate Apostilled by the Argentine Embassy, and they can detail out any other paperwork that the OP can set up prior. Apostilling process varies state to state so contact the embassy/consulate nearest you or nearest where you got married.

The embassy website indicates that you can start a residency visa based on relatives, which include a spouse. I haven't gone through the process, but I would certainly contact them to see what the deal it.

In any case you would need to have your marriage certificate Apostilled by the Argentine Embassy, and they can detail out any other paperwork that the OP can set up prior. Apostilling process varies state to state so contact the embassy/consulate nearest you or nearest where you got married.

Can you cite a link? Can't seem to spot it.

As indicated in the above post, the Apostille process varies from state to state, but I believe the Apostille must be obtained from the state government (usually the Secretary of State) in which the official document is issued.

The Apostille can be obtained for any document that has been properly notarized, including a letter from a bank official, a lawyer or an accountant, as well as documents issued by local and state governments (marriage certificate, divorce decree, etc.).

I am not sure if the Argentine Embassy (or consulate) can "Apostille" a document. A google search with the name of the state and the word "Apostille" should produce pertinent information.

I vaguely remember reading posts about other expats who were getting married to an Argentine and the first question that comes to mind is , "Can you even get married in Argentina in two weeks, let alone apply for and receive permanent residency based on marriage in two weeks?"

As of a few years ago, the minimum timeframe to get married in CABA was 2 weeks, down from 4. GBA probably depends on precise town's rules. Legalizing foreign marriage probably makes much more sense.

Unless it is included in the list of documents required for permanent residency, you won't need your birth certificate. If you do it should receive the Apostille from the Secretary of State in which you were born, not the US Department of State.

Also, check the list on the migraciones website to see if you need to present photocopies of all pages of your passport. This is how they determine where you have been living for the past three years and from what country/countries you need "police" reports.

PS: Like El Cordobes, " I don't know the current status of having a completed background check in hand when you leave the US."

You absolutely need a birth certificate, duly apostilled, translated and the translation legalized. Same for photocopies of ALL pages of passport.
I had my background check which I obtained on my last visit home, without any problems.

I am not sure if the Argentine Embassy (or consulate) can "Apostille" a document. A google search with the name of the state and the word "Apostille" should produce pertinent information.

I'm quite sure that the Argentine embassy cannot apostille a document. The whole point of the apostille is a universal protocol for the issuing country's authentication of documents. There is no way any Argentine authority can vouch for a US document.

(What people may be confusing is the process in countries that don't have the apostille, such as Canada. In that case the document in question, say a birth certificate or an RCMP background check, gets sent for authentication to Foreign Affairs in Ottawa, and then - because Canada is not a party to the Apostille convention and as such, it's authentication carries no weight in Argentina - this authentication must be legalized by the Argentine consulate with jurisdiction in the province where the document was issued. Again, this legalization is done in lieu of an Apostille; it has no relevance in places where an Apostille is issued.)

UPDATE: Here is the relevant material. Sections under discussion here are in blue:

DOCUMENTACIÓN A PRESENTAR A FIN DE SOLICITAR RESIDENCIA COMO: FAMILIAR DE ARGENTINO O DE EXTRANJERO RADICADO EN FORMA PERMANENTE (ART 22 DE LA LEY 25.871, Dto 616/2010)
DOCUMENTACION A PRESENTAR:
a) IDENTIDAD: Cédula de Identidad, Pasaporte o Certificado de Nacionalidad con foto, originales. Estos documentos deberán encontrarse vigentes, en buen estado de conservación y con un juego de fotocopias completo inclusive hojas en blanco.
B) PARTIDA DE NACIMIENTO Y LA RELATIVA AL ESTADO CIVIL DE LAS PERSONAS, según la causa de radicación invocada.
c) CERTIFICADO DE ANTECEDENTES PENALES ARGENTINOS
Emitido por Registro Nacional de Reincidencia o Policía Federal. Solo exigible a mayores de 16 años.
d) CERTIFICADO QUE ACREDITE FEHACIENTEMENTE QUE NO REGISTRA CONDENAS ANTERIORES NI PROCESOS PENALES EN TRÁMITE emitidos por las autoridades competentes de los países donde haya residido por un plazo superior a UN (1) año, durante el transcurso de los últimos TRES (3) años. Solo exigible a mayores de 16 (dieciséis) años.
e) DECLARACION JURADA de carencia que acredite fehacientemente que no registra condenas anteriores ni procesos penales en trámite en otros países, (será confeccionada en migraciones al momento de la solicitud de residencia).
f) INGRESO.
Sello de ingreso al país estampado en el documento de viaje o en la tarjeta migratoria.

CERTIFICADO DE DOMICILIO O UNA FACTURA DE ALGUN SERVICIO PUBLICO A SU NOMBRE (ABL, luz, agua o gas)
Tasa de radicación:
NO MERCOSUR $ 1200
DOS FOTOS 4x4 COLOR (Deberá ser actual, tomada de frente, medio busto, con la cabeza totalmente descubierta, color, con fondo uniforme blanco y liso, permitiendo apreciar fielmente y en toda su plenitud los rasgos faciales de su titular al momento de realizar el trámite).

a)

- SER CÓNYUGE DE ARGENTINO nativo o naturalizado por opción: ACTA O PARTIDA DE MATRIMONIO QUE ACREDITE EL VÍNCULO INVOCADO Y DOCUMENTO NACIONAL DE IDENTIDAD DEL DADOR DE CRITERIO.

IMPORTANTE:
# Toda documentación expedida en el extranjero deberá contar con la legalización del Consulado Argentino, sito en el país emisor del documento Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores Comercio Internacional y Culto, o Apostillada, si el país hubiera ratificado el Convenio de La Haya.
# Sin perjuicio de lo dispuesto en los acuerdos o convenciones internacionales vigentes, toda documentación expedida por las representaciones consulares en el territorio nacional, deberá contar con la legalización del Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores Comercio Internacional y Culto, excepto MERCOSUR.
# Toda documentación expedida en idioma extranjero deberá contar con la traducción al castellano efectuada por Traductor Público Nacional (Art. 6º Ley 20.305) y legalizada por el Colegio de Traductores, excepto idioma portugués para Brasil.
# La documentación a presentar deberá ser original e ir acompañada de su respectiva fotocopia, a fin de proceder a su certificación. La Dirección Nacional de Migraciones podrá solicitar, si así lo considerase necesario, documentación adicional a la detallada

You absolutely need a birth certificate, duly apostilled, translated and the translation legalized. Same for photocopies of ALL pages of passport.
I had my background check which I obtained on my last visit home, without any problems.

I just checked the migraciones website. Yes, The "duly apostilled, translated and legalized" birth certificate is on the list of documents required for permanent residency, but is no longer on the list of documents required for temporary residency. I wonder if someone, on the third renewal of their temporary residency, would have to provide it then. It was required when I obtained my temporary residency in 2006 so there was no issue in 2010 when my residency became permanent as migraciones still had it in my file. If Sam3g submitted a state certified copy of his birth certificate (apostilled,translated, and legalized)for his work visa it should still be valid. Of course it must be the original. Hopefully, migraciones only kept a photocopy.

I never had to have my 2008 passport (or the photocopies or ALL of the pages) apostilled, translated and legalized when renewing my temporary residency or applying for permanent residency and I haven't read about anyone having to do so, including a friend who recently renewed his temporary residency. I believed migraciones stopped requiring the translation of (at least) the US passport when the Spanish terms for name, date and place of birth, etc. were added to all passports. (The translation and legalization of the translation was required for my 1998 US passport that was 100% in English, but not the Apostille.)

UPDATE: Here is the relevant material. Sections under discussion here are in blue:

Even though the migraciones website includes this:

Toda documentación expedida en el extranjero deberá contar con la legalización del Consulado Argentino, sito en el país emisor del documento Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores Comercio Internacional y Culto o Apostillada, si el país hubiera ratificado el Convenio de La Haya.

I was not required to have the Apostille or any other " legalización" for my passport and I don't know anyone else who has.

And in spite of this:

Toda documentación expedida en idioma extranjero deberá contar con la traducción al castellano efectuada por Traductor Público Nacional (Art. 6º Ley 20.305) y legalizada por el Colegio de Traductores, excepto idioma portugués para Brasil.

I did not and I still don't know anyone who had to submit a translation of a US passport since they added the Spanish words, for name, date and place of birth, etc. in Spanish, just photocopies of all of the pages, including the blank ones.

If anyone has recently been required to provide the Apostille for their passport and/or the translation and legalization of the translation, I hope they will post about it here.

PS: Others have recently confirmed that the birth certificate is not required when applying for temporary residency.

PS2: While I certainly don't want anyone to go to migraciones without having everything they need, I hate to see anyone go to extra trouble and expense to get anything that isn't required.

Passports are not required to have an apostille, a passport is inherently and by definition a document which is to be presented and accepted outside of one's country of residence. That's why it's as standardized as it is, to facilitate easy acceptance at least as ID, worldwide. It is the one foreign document which accepted by just about any agency or organization here or anywhere, as it must be. The Hague convention is regarding other documents.

Yes US passports don't need translation as their main pages are 'in Spanish' (in addition to other languages), and as such is not 'expedida en idioma extranjera'. Other passports such as Canada's do need translation/legalization.

I never applied for temporary residency so I know nothing about it. For permanent residency birth certificate - apostilled/legalized and translated+legalized - is definitely required.

Back