Residencia Rentista

So this is interesting... I just emailed my local consulate for an application form and a list of their requirements and application fee in the local currency. They sent me back the requirements for "visa de turista" and "business/visa temporaria." Requirements are about what you'd expect for those categories (including a return plane ticket). I emailed back asking specifically for the rentista requirements and got back as a response "El encuadre de rentista, entra dentro de la Calidad de Residente Temporario. Como primer paso es suficiente el form. de solicitud de visa."

Anyone want to take a stab at what she's talking about? Sounds like they want me to get a "generic" temporary residence visa and then change my status once I get to Argentina.

So this is interesting... I just emailed my local consulate for an application form and a list of their requirements and application fee in the local currency. They sent me back the requirements for "visa de turista" and "business/visa temporaria." Requirements are about what you'd expect for those categories (including a return plane ticket). I emailed back asking specifically for the rentista requirements and got back as a response "El encuadre de rentista, entra dentro de la Calidad de Residente Temporario. Como primer paso es suficiente el form. de solicitud de visa."

Anyone want to take a stab at what she's talking about? Sounds like they want me to get a "generic" temporary residence visa and then change my status once I get to Argentina.

I don't think there is actually an "application form" for a temporary resident visa and even if it is possible to get a visa rentista at an Argentine consulate they will probably ask for an "outrageous" processing fee. I believe this is because the residency must be granted by the office of migraciones in Argentina, so imagine your documents would have to be sent there. The information in the migraciones website indicates that all documents must be translated by a licensed translator and legalized in Argentina. I'm not sure how you could fulfill this requirement in another country.

Not long ago someone made a post which indicated they were told the processing fee at a consulate would be $800 USD and I believe that was for permanent residency based on marriage. I don't think they said anything about the translations. The fee (as you probably already know) for the visa rentista (residency temporaria) in Argentina is $1200 pesos. You didn't indicate where you are from so I don't know if you are required to pay the reciprocity fee for the tourist visa (residencia transitoria) , but in any case, the best way for you to get the visa rentista is to enter Argentina as a tourist and apply for it in person.

Hmm. I always thought you could either get a rentista visa in advance--the New York consulate, for example, has a list of documents they want to see in order to give you a rentista visa, and the processing fee is US$200, and an apostille (with certified translation where appropriate) is good enough legalization for them.

So if a tourist visa is in the "residencia transitoria" class and the visa they're telling me to get is in the "residencia temporaria" class... seems to me like I'd be on more solid footing as a residente temporario.

Hmm. I always thought you could either get a rentista visa in advance--the New York consulate, for example, has a list of documents they want to see in order to give you a rentista visa, and the processing fee is US$200, and an apostille (with certified translation where appropriate) is good enough legalization for them.

So if a tourist visa is in the "residencia transitoria" class and the visa they're telling me to get is in the "residencia temporaria" class... seems to me like I'd be on more solid footing as a residente temporario.

If the New York consulate can get you a visa rentista for a $200 USD processing fee that sounds great. If you go that route please post about the process and where you had the documents translated. You will still have to get your DNI after you arrive in Argentina but you will be eligible to receive it by just submitting the "sobre" (envelope) you will receive form the consulate when your residency is approved.

You are correct about the visa rentista being in the residencia temporaria class. It is valid for one year and can be renewed by "updating" you financial information, providing a new Argentine police report, and paying the $1200 peso fee at migraciones in Retiro. A visa transitoria is only good for 90 days and can only be renewed once. Going to Colonia to get a new 90 day visa is no longer a good idea (and never really was).

Keep in mind that if you don't spend at least six months of the year in Argentina your temporary residency (visa rentista) will not be renewed and also that the $200 processing fee the NYC consulate wants probably does not include the actual fee for the visa ($1200 pesos).

I don't live in the New York consulate's jurisdiction, so I was just going by their website: http://cnyor.mrecic.gov.ar/en/node/2256 . Then again, that website also still has the old 2,500-peso income requirement so the fee could be well outdated as well. I'll post about the process over here (including mentioning where "here" is) once it all goes through.

If a residencia temporaria is good for one year then it sounds like the "non-rentista residencia temporaria" option I'm being given by the consulate here is the easiest way to get residency for a year, then I'll take my sweet time to get my rentista papers in order sometime in mid-2016.

Thanks for the reminder about having to spend at least six months in Argentina--that's going to be relevant for me.

If a residencia temporaria is good for one year then it sounds like the "non-rentista residencia temporaria" option I'm being given by the consulate here is the easiest way to get residency for a year, then I'll take my sweet time to get my rentista papers in order sometime in mid-2016.

It would be interesting to know what the "non-rentista residencia temporaria" option (for one year residency) that the consulate has offered you.

Here is a list of the options for residency temporaria from the migraciones website:

Trabajador Migrante
Pacientes bajo tratamiento
Médico
Rentista
Académicos
Pensionado
Estudiantes
Inversionista
Asilados y refugiados
Científicos y personal especializado
Razones humanitarias
Deportistas y artistas
Especiales
Religiosos
Reunificación familiar temporaria

And each of them requires the "appropriate" paperwork to be granted.

Back