Residencia Rentista

Im really sorry - I've tried searching and I can't find a clear answer. Are there some clear requirements as to what documents you actually need to bring for this type of visa? It seems that the document that you'd bring that shows you have passive income is extremely vague and that there isnt a clear description of what they are looking for.

You are required to "prove" to migraciones' "satisfaction" that you will have a "stable" (uninterpretable) source of foreign income while you are living in Argentina. That is apparently their idea of a "clear" description.

I believe that someone once posted that migraciones wanted more than a letter from an accountant when applying for the visa rentista based on rental income. I think they also wanted a copy of the lease agreement(s) and possibly bank statements as well.

It might be possible to attach the lease(s) to a "cover letter" from an accountant and not get a separate Apostille for the lease(s), especially if the signatures on the lease weren't notarized.

A bank officer can provide a cover letter for bank statements and the letter can be notarized and receive he Apostille.

Also, I currently have a work visa which expires in November, and I want to renew it as a rentista. Anyone know if its possible to "renew" my existing visa under a different category, or would I have to be applying for a "new" visa?

Even if you can make a cambio de categoria, you will still need to provide the proof of the passive income, as well as provide copies of all of the pages of your passport and a new Argentine criminal report. The only other document you might need to provide is a new criminal report from your home country.

If you have spent more than twelve months (cumulative) in another country in the past three years you may need a criminal background report from that country. It is almost impossible to predict if this will be required. It 's also possible that if you haven't spent much time out of Argentina since getting the work visa, they won't ask for a new report, even if you only have had the work visa for one year and were in your home country the previous two (but that's just my guess).

PS: I think you are the only one who has ever asked this question and I don't remember reading any answers it the first two (?) times you asked it. I suggest you ask migraciones and if they say you don't need a new foreign report just be prepared for a different answer when you actually apply for the new visa.

You are required to "prove" to migraciones' "satisfaction" that you will have a "stable" (uninterpretable) source of foreign income while you are living in Argentina. That is apparently their idea of a "clear" description.

I believe that someone once posted that migraciones wanted more than a letter from an accountant when applying for the visa rentista based on rental income. I think they also wanted a copy of the lease agreement(s) and possibly bank statements as well.

It might be possible to attach the lease(s) to a "cover letter" from an accountant and not get a separate Apostille for the lease(s), especially if the signatures on the lease weren't notarized.

A bank officer can provide a cover letter for bank statements and the letter can be notarized and receive he Apostille.

Even if you can make a cambio de categoria, you will still need to provide the proof of the passive income, as well as provide copies of all of the pages of your passport and a new Argentine criminal report. The only other document you might need to provide is a new criminal report from your home country.

If you have spent more than twelve months (cumulative) in another country in the past three years you may need a criminal background report from that country. It is almost impossible to predict if this will be required. It 's also possible that if you haven't spent much time out of Argentina since getting the work visa, they won't ask for a new report, even if you only have had the work visa for one year and were in your home country the previous two (but that's just my guess).

PS: I think you are the only one who has ever asked this question and I don't remember reading any answers it the first two (?) times you asked it. I suggest you ask migraciones and if they say you don't need a new foreign report just be prepared for a different answer when you actually apply for the new visa.

Thanks -- Guess ill just bring as much documentation as i can. Im going to the states in August and will be getting a new FBI background check then just to be safe and will get the ball rolling as soon as I get back.

Given what jantango and steve wrote, my plan may not work.

The plan was the following:

My brokerage has a branch office in San Diego, CA, which is where I am from. There is a rep that I know in that office.

I was going to email him the pdf of the brokerage letter. I was going to ask him to put the branch address on the letter. This way, the letter is now "from California."

I was then going to ask him to sign it and have it notarized, upon which, he would send it to CA Secretary of State for apostille. The receipt address for letter with apostille would be my friend who will be down here in 3 weeks. It sounded perfect: an original brokerage letter with both notary and apostille.

It sounded like a brilliant plan when I thought of it. But now I am not so sure. Plus, now that I say it out loud (or write it out loud), I am not certain the rep is going to want to put the branch address on the letter. I am not a lawyer, so it seems harmless and pragmatic to me. But the rep may not see it that way.

Otherwise, I have no idea how to get the brokerage letter notarized and apostilled. The brokerage HQ is in Nebraska. The brokerage won't do it. And I don't know anyone in Nebraska - so I can't see how I would ever get this letter notarized in the first place, much less apostilled.

My brokerage has a branch office in San Diego, CA, which is where I am from. There is a rep that I know in that office.

I was going to email him the pdf of the brokerage letter. I was going to ask him to put the branch address on the letter. This way, the letter is now "from California."

Otherwise, I have no idea how to get the brokerage letter notarized and apostilled. The brokerage HQ is in Nebraska. The brokerage won't do it. And I don't know anyone in Nebraska - so I can't see how I would ever get this letter notarized in the first place, much less apostilled.

If your friend works for the same brokerage I would think he could edit the pdf you send him to show the California branch address, especially if the information is in the company's system and all he is doing is confirming it.

If he can't do that, perhaps you could have an officer at your bank write a letter like I previously described, especially if you are gong to have the brokerage send checks to your bank account each month so you can make transfers using XOOM.

The only downside to this "plan" is having to wait unitil your bank has received a check or two before an officer can write the letter.

Have you considered asking a CPA to write a letter (it can be brief) saying he has examined/reviewed your brokerage statements and can "certify" that you are receiving monthly distributions from the brokerage? If you do that I suggest that he refer to (and "attach") the past two month's brokerage statements in the letter. He can have his signature notarized and then send it to receive the Apostille. That will probably cost less than getting a new FBI report in the future if you have to leave Argentina before submitting your documents.

PS: If you have a CPA write a letter I suggest he/she actually write CERTIFICATION (all caps in slightly larger letters) below his/her letterhead and above the body of the letter.

Also be sure to include your passport number (with exp date) with your name and address and all of the account information that appears on the brokerage statements.

If you have (or are going to set up) a standing order to have the monthly checks sent to your bank you might want to include that information and if the deposits have begun, include all of the bank account information in the letter from the CPA.

It would be ideal if a couple checks had already been sent by the brokerage to your account and you could also include the statements showing the deposits. If you end up having to start over (with a new FBI report) you should be able to provide sufficient documentation of your income.

PS: If you don't know a CPA (or don't want to pay one) and you have to wait, you will probably be able to get a letter from your bank at little or no cost. That letter can verify that the bank receives a check from the brokerage on a monthly basis and the funds are then deposited into your account.

That's a brilliant plan Steve.

I put it into motion as soon as I read it. I contacted the CPA, who is in California. And he will surely write me the letter. I asked him to get it notarized and apostilled. But even if he won't do the footwork, I can easily find someone in CA who will.

So going in, I will have the original letter from the brokerage, the 2 monthly statements, and the letter from the accountant - notarized and apostilled. Sounds like a winner to me.

Thanks a mil Steve!

Ooh that's a really good idea for my case too. I'm planning to use income from some bonds that pay coupons semi-annually--hard to argue that "averages out" to the amount needed per month, but if I set up a recurring transfer then that should work. Thanks from me too, Steve!

Thought on the CPA letter--my CPA in America is a native Spanish speaker. That letter can be written by her in Spanish, saving the cost of an official translation, right?

Thought on the CPA letter--my CPA in America is a native Spanish speaker. That letter can be written by her in Spanish, saving the cost of an official translation, right?

Well, the letter must have the Apostille and I believe the Apostille will be in English. That means it would have to be translated by a licensed translator in Argentina. As for migraciones, I am not sure if they will accept a document that is written in Spanish that originates from a country whose official language is not Spanish (or if that even matters).

I also wonder about getting the Apostille in the USA for a document that is written in Spanish. As multilingual as the USA has become I'd be surprised if that's a problem, but I'd want to know for sure before requesting that the letter be written in Spanish.

Just speaking from past experience with apostilles... the apostille specifically authenticates the signature of the government actor, in this case the notary who writes "signed and subscribed before me on this day" verifying the signature of the person signing the document. So being in Spanish shouldn't be a problem for the apostille. You could get Picasso's signature on one of his apostilled if he had gotten the signature notarized... a long time ago I had taken the two-day course two become a notary public and they explained to us that we're an appointed officer of the state. The apostille is authenticating the notary as an officer of the state (the same way it authenticates the signature of whoever signs those FBI reports, even though there's no notary, because the signer of the report himself is an officer of the state in that case). So the Spanish shouldn't be an issue for the apostille. (And as for the state issue a few posts back, I'd think you'd want the apostille to come from the state where the notary has his commission, as opposed to the state listed on the letter-writer's letterhead, again because the apostille just verifies the signature of the notary.)

I vaguely remember reading somewhere (maybe somewhere else here?) that the apostille itself doesn't need to be translated. But I'll defer to you on that one.

As for Argentina not accepting a Spanish document from a non-Spanish country... that's a good point.

I think I'm going to be a guinea pig for all of this. Would save people a lot of hassle if I can get rid of a few official translations along the way.

Back