Residency after marriage

Ashley said:
I just did this last month - I now have my precaria and am awaiting my dni (a few stray documents they then decided I need renewed pending!).
You need:

Passport + photocopy of your passport (every single page, even the blank ones) + translated and stamped by a "traductor publico" (costs about 120 pesos) and "legalised" in the Colegio de traductores (costs about 40).

Birth Certificate with an apostille (translated and legalised as above - the apostille must also be translated)

Police check in your country of birth, apostilled (translated and legalised as above) - if you revisit the country while waiting or after it has already been issued, it is automatically invalidated (I'm having to get mine done again cause they missed this when I originally applied :S)

Police check here (at the Ministerio de Justicia - it costs about 50 pesos)

A stamped, official copy of your Marriage certificate (NOT the libreta familiar)

A photocopy of your partner's DNI (every single page)

A certificado de domicilio (You get this from the police station nearest to your house)

600 peso visa fee

I think that's it. When you have all the papers together, you then need to get an appointment at immigrations - You can book one on their webpage, you normally have to wait a month or so.

This gets you permanent residency - I was told it doesn't have to be renewed
Hope this helps!

This is right on. I did it in September and my DNI with the carnet came to my door just a few weeks later. Just a couple of things. I don't think it's necessary to have a lawyer, just make sure you understand the requirements. When they say the marriage certificate, they don't mean the red libreta you get at the courthouse. What they want is an official copy of the page where you signed in the official book at the courthouse. You can do this a few ways. You can do it by mail, which is supposedly the easiest, but I think they are backed up. I requested it by mail but it never came. You can submit a request online and then pick it up at the courthouse closest to you, or you can call to make an appoinment at the courthouse to REQUEST the document, not to pick it up, and then go back a few weeks later. Mine took several weeks. Also, you apparently have 30 days to pay for the document, but just do it at the time because it isn't valid unless you have the comprobante de pago. Oh, and be sure to bring a photocopy of everything.

kellymp said:
Hi everyone,
Just want to say first of all, thanks for all the information about getting permanent residency in Argentina.

I'm getting married to an Argentine in a month, but I'm still confused about the documents that I'll need to get residency.

1) Criminal records- I'm from Wisconsin, USA...is a state background check sufficient, or do I need the FBI background check? And if so, does the FBI background check need an apostille?
2) Why would I need a translation of my passport?? It's already in Spanish AND in French....

Please help with any information! My head feels like it's going to explode!!:eek:

This is probably overdue, but it may help someone else in the future. Yes, you'll need the FBI check, the state checks are no longer valid. Also, it used to be that you had to apostille the FBI check in Virginia's State Office, but now you can request an apostille at the same time that you submit your request for the FBI check. Also, I have never had to translate my passport. They mainly just want to see your last stamp and make sure you haven't overstayed your current visa at the time of application.

guevarita said:
This is right on. I did it in September and my DNI with the carnet came to my door just a few weeks later. Just a couple of things. I don't think it's necessary to have a lawyer, just make sure you understand the requirements. When they say the marriage certificate, they don't mean the red libreta you get at the courthouse. What they want is an official copy of the page where you signed in the official book at the courthouse. You can do this a few ways. You can do it by mail, which is supposedly the easiest, but I think they are backed up. I requested it by mail but it never came. You can submit a request online and then pick it up at the courthouse closest to you, or you can call to make an appoinment at the courthouse to REQUEST the document, not to pick it up, and then go back a few weeks later. Mine took several weeks. Also, you apparently have 30 days to pay for the document, but just do it at the time because it isn't valid unless you have the comprobante de pago. Oh, and be sure to bring a photocopy of everything.

Guevarita, I have a question for you. How fast can one get the "official copy of the page where you signed in the official book at the courthouse." Suppose I get married on 15th February. How should I book my appointment with migraciones? I will like to complete my paper work asap BUT no point if I do not have the official copy as you suggested! Please advise? Thanks / For example, if i get married on 15 Feb, can I book my appointment with migraciones for 17 Feb? Will I have the paper work for proof gor marriage in one day?

You do not need a translator at the wedding ceremony as long as you speak the language. They might suggest if your spanish is not the best though.

Captain Cheetah said:
Guevarita, I have a question for you. How fast can one get the "official copy of the page where you signed in the official book at the courthouse." Suppose I get married on 15th February. How should I book my appointment with migraciones? I will like to complete my paper work asap BUT no point if I do not have the official copy as you suggested! Please advise? Thanks / For example, if i get married on 15 Feb, can I book my appointment with migraciones for 17 Feb? Will I have the paper work for proof gor marriage in one day?

If you are getting married on Feb 15th, I assume you have not had your appt. yet to set the time at the registro civil? When you go, ask them there if you can make an appointment to get the official copy. I got mine in 1 hour, but because I had taken the red libreta by mistake to my appointment at immigrations and the very nice guy who was dealing with my paperwork allowed me to leave, hightail it to the Registro Civil, argue with a guy at the front desk who finally let me go upstairs to wait in line, they made the copy, and I went back once again to Immigrations. Yes, it was a special case, but once you get your date confirmed, I would think you could call and make an appointment for soon after.

allcraz said:
If you are getting married on Feb 15th, I assume you have not had your appt. yet to set the time at the registro civil? When you go, ask them there if you can make an appointment to get the official copy. I got mine in 1 hour, but because I had taken the red libreta by mistake to my appointment at immigrations and the very nice guy who was dealing with my paperwork allowed me to leave, hightail it to the Registro Civil, argue with a guy at the front desk who finally let me go upstairs to wait in line, they made the copy, and I went back once again to Immigrations. Yes, it was a special case, but once you get your date confirmed, I would think you could call and make an appointment for soon after.

Allraz,

Basis above, I am slightly confused.

So let us suppose I am at Registro Civil on 10th Jan to book my marriage on 10 Feb. Are you suggesting that I book appointment at the same time for the "official copy of my marriage in the court books"? So if I do this - Does this mean that I can get the "official copy" of the marriage on the same day as the marriage? Can you be a more explicit and advise me the exact procedure? My goal is that I would like to go to migraciones immediately after marriage as I do not want my police clearance report to get older!

larsjoy said:
You do not need a translator at the wedding ceremony as long as you speak the language. They might suggest if your spanish is not the best though.

Larsjoy, do they conduct a Spanish test? Will saying "si" to everything suffice? If a translator needs to be hired, how much should it cost?

Captain Cheetah said:

Good question, not one that I know the answer to though. Assuming you have all of your other paperwork in order, then I don't see why it should be a problem, that is, if you can get the marriage certificate that day. My guess is that would depend on which registro civil you are getting married at. I got married at the one downtown, which I think is the main on, on Uruguay which seems to be more organized than the one I requested my certificate at in Saavedra. When you go to make your official appointment to select your date/time, I would just ask them there. If they say yes, just book your immigrations appointment for soon after and see what happens. If not, I would wait until you have your certificate in hand before making the appointment. If you get married at the end of the day, then my guess you wouldn't be able to get it the same day. I don't know if any of that helps, but good luck!

Captain Cheetah - My experience was this: When I requested my official certificate, you already needed to have a marriage date, thus when you go to the registro civil to request your date/time for the ceremony, you would not be able to make an appointment to get the official certificate. I think the best thing to do is just ask them when you set up your ceremony time if you can get your certificate in the same day. Also, each judge is different. Some get rather poetic and ask the couple why they want to marry each other (but I doubt they would do that if they saw you weren't comfortable doing that in Spanish). But mine was very straightforward and all I had to say was acepto. You don't have to take an official test, but when you go to set up your ceremony time, you could inquire as to the interpreter, or perhaps they might recommend one. Can't remember the cost, if any, but I think that can be found on the website. I believe they appoint one for you, you don't need to bring one.

You guys are really helpful.

God knows how one will survive in BA if this forum was not in place! :)

Back