Residency after marriage

kellymp said:
2) Why would I need a translation of my passport?? It's already in Spanish AND in French....:eek:

I went through all this in June. I'm from the States and never considered getting my passport translated since it does already have the main page in 3 languages as you said. There were no problems, but they DID ask me to go make copies of my entire old passport that had previous Argentine entry stamps. I should have said it had been stolen, but oh well...

Has anyone here had problems after not translating his/her multilingual passport?

Kellymp, Don't hesitate to PM me if you have any other specific questions.

Even though my US passport is not multilingual 100% (only some parts are multilingual), I had zero issues. I guess the info they really need is the one that appears in Spanish.

windy said:
Alilou sums up my dilema. As soon as you get one paper another expires and if you leave the country your good conduct certificate from your home country becomes invalid.

Yes and no... you'll have to check your passport to see whether or not you got an entry stamp from your country. If you didn't, you can at least give it a shot at trying to get it done and if they say no, then get the new report.

I got my police report legalized by the embassy in canada in january. In april right after the wedding here I had to go to Canada because of a family medical emergency. While I was there I got a new passport (cheaper and faster than doing it here).

When we filed for residency here I had my new passport and the photocopy of the old one, and my police reports, and they never once commented about me having been in Canada again since then, even though my passport said issued in Vancouver BC.

I think I got away with it because in my new passport there wasn't a stamp for Canada since I had travelled via mexico and passed through customs in DF. So if you've already got a police report you can always give it a try and see what they say before you go through the rigamarole of getting a new one issued.

Does one need one original birth certificate or two? Someone said 2 originals of birth certificate is required?

Is that true?

Does one need a translator at the marriage ceremony. If yes, how much does it cost to hire such a translator?

Thanks in advance!

I have heard that pre-nup agreements do not work in Argentina. What are other safeguards in that case?

Is it ok to apply for residency just the next day after the marriage?

Captain Cheetah said:
I have heard that pre-nup agreements do not work in Argentina. What are other safeguards in that case?

Choose properly your wife and behave during the marriage.

Captain Cheetah said:
Is it ok to apply for residency just the next day after the marriage?

Yes.
However, I suggest you think about citizenship. Regards

There's not much reason for someone who gets residency via marriage to an Argentine to get citizenship -- unless you really want to be able to vote in Federal elections.

As a spouse of an Argentine you really don't even have to worry that they'd take your residency away if you weren't in the country -- you only need to be here 1 day in every 2 or 3 years to maintain it and even if you miss it, as a spouse they will in all likelihood not revoke your residency.

Does one need one original birth certificate or two? Someone said 2 originals of birth certificate is required?

Is that true?

Does one need a translator at the marriage ceremony. If yes, how much does it cost to hire such a translator?

Thanks in advance

syngirl said:
There's not much reason for someone who gets residency via marriage to an Argentine to get citizenship -- unless you really want to be able to vote in Federal elections.

As a spouse of an Argentine you really don't even have to worry that they'd take your residency away if you weren't in the country -- you only need to be here 1 day in every 2 or 3 years to maintain it and even if you miss it, as a spouse they will in all likelihood not revoke your residency.

In fact there are some advantages. If he has any trouble with the criminal law, being a resident DGM will try to deport him no matter if he has a family or not. And a criminal issue can be a car crash. So, my advice is, no matter where you wanna live, having argentinian wife is better to have argentinian citizenship. The same I suggest with any other citizenship.
Regards

Back