Restaurants in Palermo

Maybe it’s because I recently moved here and I am still in the US mindset, but to me you can still eat well without spending a fortune in Buenos Aires. I am not the gourmet type, but yesterday I went to a local parilla and we ate a good bife mariposa, with fries and a glass of Malbec, spending around 15$ each. To put this into perspective: last September I went to visiting my daughter in (freaking) Newark, NJ and went out for a brunch. Nothing fancy but when I added a tip it ended up being around 25$ per person, for a brunch!
25$ seems pretty cheap for a brunch in the US.

I think lots of places would be more than that, especially if you're having any sort of alcohol, even in Newark, NJ.

Maybe it’s because I recently moved here and I am still in the US mindset, but to me you can still eat well without spending a fortune in Buenos Aires. I am not the gourmet type, but yesterday I went to a local parilla and we ate a good bife mariposa, with fries and a glass of Malbec, spending around 15$ each. To put this into perspective: last September I went to visiting my daughter in (freaking) Newark, NJ and went out for a brunch. Nothing fancy but when I added a tip it ended up being around 25$ per person, for a brunch!
I agree though something I think is worth being cognisant of is that prices in the last few months have escalated even beyond “normal” Argentinian inflation. It’s still not expensive for me but I feel for locals in the last couple of months inflation has bit noticeably harder than ever previously since the first time I ever came to Argentina two years ago

I agree though something I think is worth being cognisant of is that prices in the last few months have escalated even beyond “normal” Argentinian inflation. It’s still not expensive for me but I feel for locals in the last couple of months inflation has bit noticeably harder than ever previously since the first time I ever came to Argentina two years ago
Prices of a lot of things are similar in dolars, that were 10 years ago, when salaries, which are 400 usd now, were more than 1000 usd back then. It doesn't make sense, that Argentinian grown vegetables cost as in Europe, while people producing them get 200 usd. Someone in the chain is cutting a big piece from it, and that goes for a lot of things.

Throwing gas to the Fire..! When people claim that $25 is not expensive for brunch in -Seattle or Manhattan doesn't add much. Most expats came to Argentina because the lower cost of living..!

There are so many places outside of Palermo. It's the least imaginative thing to default to Palermo. Buenos Aires is vast and I've found amazing places to eat just walking around different neighborhoods like San Telmo, Villa Crespo, and getting recommendations from local foodies.

Back