Retiro Station By Night - Safe?

Well they're both run by dictators...
I know that you're always interested in professional politics, it is your specialty. But really please help me out here (don't turn this one into politics). If you can't do such a thing as dragging wife, kids and luggage at 1:00 o'clock in the morning near ghetto and railway tracks (practically any where in the world), why on earth do you think it should be done here in BA?

As for other cities I can only speak for myself but I've done this in NYC, Boston, London, Glasgow, Toronto, Vancouver, Edinburgh, Milan, Rome, Berlin, Stockholm, Moscow, etc. without issue.

I love cities, but hate crowds, so I particularly enjoy roaming around and seeing the sights late at night. And I've done that in all of the cities on your list (except Milan and Moscow) plus a bunch more. I did wander into a crime scene (complete with police shoot out) in Denver, but the only place I got robbed was Rome. [Actually robbed isn't the right word--it was more like a distraction / pickpocketing thing, near the central train station at around 2AM.]

Although I've been to lots of dodgy places too, the large cities where I've spent the most time--Toronto, Singapore and Stockholm--are among the very safest in the world. In all three I wouldn't hesitate to enter a dark alley, using my iPhone to illuminate the way. Sure hope I haven't gone too soft for Buenos Aires!

Wow ..... what is this all about?
As if we all came from Beverly Hills and Malibu beaches, and we never lived or seen downtowns of Detroit or any major American city before in our whole life.

It is so weird and obscene that we want Argentines to be different. Of coarse it is not safe to go to Retiro at 1:00 o'clock in the morning dragging wife, kids and luggage. Absolute nonsense, pardon my French. Would anyone ask this question, doing the same thing in any major American city?

You probably need to be in the French Riviera or Monaco to be able to do such kind a' thing SAFELY.

Sorry you get me going, but this is extreme.

You don't want to be anywhere near Cannes train station after 12 midnight..........

More than a little bit dodgy..............

I love cities, but hate crowds, so I particularly enjoy roaming around and seeing the sights late at night. And I've done that in all of the cities on your list (except Milan and Moscow) plus a bunch more. I did wander into a crime scene (complete with police shoot out) in Denver, but the only place I got robbed was Rome. [Actually robbed isn't the right word--it was more like a distraction / pickpocketing thing, near the central train station at around 2AM.]

Although I've been to lots of dodgy places too, the large cities where I've spent the most time--Toronto, Singapore and Stockholm--are among the very safest in the world. In all three I wouldn't hesitate to enter a dark alley, using my iPhone to illuminate the way. Sure hope I haven't gone too soft for Buenos Aires!
The OP was NOT about comparing safety of world cities (different topic for another day).

The OP was soliciting advice RE: dragging wife, kids and luggage at 1:00 o'clock in the morning, for a walk through ghetto areas (knowing that there is a villa). It is the height of irresponsibility, to put one's family through such a precarious situation. Asking advice about doing such a thing is incomprehensible.

It's funny, I used to (and still) bitch and moan about Toronto and Canada in general but since moving here I think both aren't as shitty as I once thought. I still don't want to move back to either and do not plan too, but I do believe there is a level safety and connivence I miss.

I knew I was ok walking from work to my apt downtown after midnight with my iPhone loud and even Facetiming/Skyping at times too, things I'd never do here. I haven't listened to my iPhone outside my apartment since July. That I miss.

There was one occasion I was almost a victim of crime. In the tube in London these three Roma people tried pick-pocketing me but the BTP caught them. Got an email with the verdict from the judge and everything, 2 guys got jail, 1 girl got parole/community service and all 3 were deported to Romania after serving.

The wallet they went for was my backup wallet. I never carry much cash when in Europe due to the use of cards being so high but I had a £1 note and a few p in coins. Talk about a loser of a mark I am :D

In defence of the original poster I think the charge of "the height of irresponsibility" is a bit unfair. The original poster asked for advice about a situation, they didn't just throw caution to the wind and hope for the best.

Back