Right Wing Coup E'tat In Brazil

Protests like these are hardly ever results of careful planning. It usually takes a combination of multiple grievances and time for it fester, until a really explosive brew is form. That explosive brew then needs a spark to ignite it all.
In the case of Brazil, remember that the preparations for the world cup and Olympics began at a time when the country was growing at 7.5% a year, the future looked really bright, and most of the corruption scandals had not been uncovered yet. Over time, major corruption scandals began to appear, the economic growth slowed down dramatically, inflation began to creep up and threaten the recently emerged "new middle class" , the costs for the world cup exploded well above what had been budgeted, and all the promises for better infra-structure failed to materialize (while taxes went up). This created a massive amount of stored discontentment, dormant under the surface of calm, that just need a small spark to explode. And what was that spark? Well, Brazil's presidential election is next year and Dilma's main rival is the governor of the state of Sao Paulo, Geraldo Alckmin. In a move against him, a group affiliated with Dilma's party began to organize a series of protests against the price of the bus fares in the state of Sao Paulo. Unknown to them, that relatively small protest was the spark that ignited the rage of the entire population against Dilma and Lula. That is why the OP was praising the protest during the initial phase, but said that it later it turned into a "right wing coup". The protest was sponsored by the federal government, but they quickly lost control over it and it turned on them. They created the monster, but could not control it.
I hope this answers your question.

I'm not an expert on Brazil. But weren't the fare increases proposed by Haddad, the mayor of Sao Paulo city and an ally of Rousseff and Lula? It was Haddad who authorized fare increases for the buses and subways. The first protest was organized on June 6, and the second one -- the one where the police violently reacted -- was held on June 13 in Sao Paulo City. They had nothing to do with Geraldo Alckmin.

The group that organized the first protests goes by the name of Movimento Passe Livre. If anything, you could only link this group to the governor of Sao Paulo who, as you correctly state, is opposed to Dilma. However, as far as I am aware, the group is not affiliated with any politicians.

The group that organized the first protests goes by the name of Movimento Passe Livre. If anything, you could only link this group to the governor of Sao Paulo who, as you correctly state, is opposed to Dilma. However, as far as I am aware, the group is not affiliated with any politicians.

Movimento Passe Livre = Financed by NGO Alquimidia which is DIRECTLY financed by Petrobras and the Ministry of Culture.

http://extra.globo.com/noticias/brasil/ong-alquimidia-dona-do-registro-do-site-do-mpl-na-internet-8672111.html

Movimento Passe Livre = Financed by NGO Alquimidia which is DIRECTLY financed by Petrobras and the Ministry of Culture.

http://extra.globo.c...et-8672111.html

Interesting. However, I think it's important to note that even Dilma's man Haddad, the mayor of São Paulo city, raised prices as well. I'm not sure that this protest has much to do with political parties. Furthermore, it seems that the response of the police in São Paulo City really set things off, perhaps not so much the issue itself. These protests have been going on for months now from what I've read.

Also, it is the STATE that finances most of the public transportation in SP, so the pressure was mostly on him. Here he (Alckmin) announcing that he will backtrack and lower the fares. Haddad is there too, but he (Alckmin) is the one doing all the talking.

TITLE OF VIDEO: Alckmin lower the fares to R$3,00

Furthermore, it seems that the response of the police in São Paulo City really set things off, perhaps not so much the issue itself. These protests have been going on for months now from what I've read.

It is never ONE THING. It is a combination of factors that builds the "perfect storm". Was the level violence from the police in Sao Paulo one of the factors? Certainly.

Right wing coup? Where did that theory come from? Must be a theory put about by the spin masters in power!

In my opinion what's going on in Brazil is representative of what's occuring in many other parts of the world, Turkey, the Arab Spring, the Occupy Movement.....in short ordinary people, regardless of class, are sick and tired of the lame excuses and corruption of the politicians and corporates and they are venting their anger on the streets, only to find that the state has sent in it's trump card, the police, against them. Lets face it Olympics and World Cups don't come cheap, and the only people they really serve are politicians for the prestige (and free seats) and the corporates for the financial windfall. Ask yourselves this question, what do the ordinary Brazilians get for their tax money invested in these two world events? The answer is simple. Quite appart from the likes of Lionel Messi weaving his magic on the pitch or Ussain Bolt going for another gold......they get nada! Well not true actually, they will get more taxes and cutbacks in social programmes! Some deal hey!

Sorry for the rant folks, but seriously can you blame ordinary Brazilians for taking it to the streets. At the end of the day its the only language the people in power understand.

I will respond comments as soon as I have the time. I'm very dissapointed to see so much distrust. Actually the "Why I'm not going to the world cup" video is right wing. Since I just exposed my surname in this thread I'm pasting, look me up on facebook: I wrote a text explaing in detail why this video is right wing last week. It is in Portuguese. When I have the time, I'll make a version in English. I have the endorsement of an important person from the political sciences studies when I point this out. I am an average Brazilian citizen(math student and tango dancer) who lives in Buenos Aires. I am worried and doing my best to help. That should be apraised and not the contrary. If everybody did that, I can't even imagine the world we would be living in today. Then again, Galileo didn't get much endorsement when he said the world was round, I never expected to reach the majority. I expected to reach those who can see outside the box. So this is a conversation I had with a friend on facebook, it's in English. Here are the explanations you needed...

Um, what? Did you watch the video past the first 30 seconds? She used "we" a lot more than "I", and the last third of it doesn't have her face or voice at all. I thought it was outstanding. People are so blind about this sort of thing, and this woman is giving the world a reality check about her country. It reminded me of a large chunk of my graduate level anthropology class on the historical basis of the corruption and racism that plagues Latin America. It's a very simple explanation of the ugly reality facing Brazil, and the twisted motivations for "cleaning up" the place for what is at the end of the day a meaningless sporting event.

"We do not need Brazil to look better for the world, we need our people to have food and health. We do not need more parties. We need people with jobs and a sustainable way of living."

The World Cup and the Olympics will not solve these problems, and it's shocking and sad how many people think these events bring automatic and sustainable $$$ to a place. Please, just ask Greece.

She doesn't need to sit in front of a camera and have a close crop on her face to do this.
These videos are a kind of odd fashion these days.

I will respond comments as soon as I have the time. I'm very dissapointed to see so much distrust. Actually the "Why I'm not going to the world cup" video is right wing. Since I just exposed my surname in this thread I'm pasting, look me up on facebook: I wrote a text explaing in detail why this video is right wing last week. It is in Portuguese. When I have the time, I'll make a version in English. I have the endorsement of an important person from the political sciences studies when I point this out. I am an average Brazilian citizen(math student and tango dancer) who lives in Buenos Aires. I am worried and doing my best to help. That should be apraised and not the contrary. If everybody did that, I can't even imagine the world we would be living in today. Then again, Galileo didn't get much endorsement when he said the world was round, I never expected to reach the majority. I expected to reach those who can see outside the box. So this is a conversation I had with a friend on facebook, it's in English. Here are the explanations you needed...

You have the time to write all this but not the time to explain to us why this girl on the video is 'right-wing'.
Plus who is the mysterious important person you talk about, perhaps they want you to push their agenda?

Back