Robbed by two drug junkies

Hellek, let me tell you Im really sorry for that loss and the ordeal you went through. I hope you dont get such a bad impression from B.a as there are also many nice people too, in contrast.

LEt me tell you, Im an average porteño (who does not tend to go out of Capital Federal XD).
I dont want to sound judgemental, but the fews time I go to Provincia de Buenos Aires, I am more than careful about the places and streets I take, ( as I dont know the are, and feel unprotected).
I would say you need to avoid desolate places, such as the one under the train if you are alone.
I must say you did allright, you never know what can happen if you fight back. I would say that screameng and shouting are good toold (at least in my experience) while you run away from that kind of situation.

Hope it helps Hellek,
Best,
Sebas

MizzMarr said:
After the last time I got mugged I bought pepper spray. There is a variety of self defense style things you can get and carry from small containers of pepper spray to collapsable night sticks and beyond. I've known people to carry fake wallets with fake bills in them to hand over just in case.

sorry that this happened to you, esllou, getting robbed always sucks and leaves you feeling unnerved for quite some time afterward.

it wasn't me! :)

seba.1988 said:
H
LEt me tell you, Im an average porteño (who does not tend to go out of Capital Federal XD).
I dont want to sound judgemental, but the fews time I go to Provincia de Buenos Aires, I am more than careful about the places and streets I take, ( as I dont know the are, and feel unprotected).
I would say you need to avoid desolate places, such as the one under the train if you are alone.

I hear this sentiment a lot. I take the bus and my porteño friend act like I'm insane, and I only take it in the day. My husband and I have a friend that we've coined a term about, but I'll generalize it here.

p.p.w.g. - places porteños won't go.

Apparently, there are a lot of them.

Thanks for the feedback. The first few times I went there I was always very cautious but after going there for a few months 2x each week I got "lazy". I knew that something like this would most probably happen one day (not necessarily at the place where it happened) nevertheless one can't imagine how it will be until having experienced it.
Now I am basically back to being like I was when I just had arrived in BsAs, at least in a certain way: I got back to paying much more attention to everything that is happening around me. Probably not a bad idea. I still consider traffic as the bigger threat to my health than criminals. Fortunately last night's incident was a lot less on my mind today than I feared it would be. Nevertheless, to my last salsa class there, I'll definately go in remis and back in remis as well. That is unless the police officer that always brings me home is there, bad luck for me that he doesn't go that often. gave me the unforgetable experience of showing me his gun in salsa class because it is a Glock (brand originating from my country, Austria). Told me it is that light that he sometimes forgets to take it out of his jeans before dancing. yeah I'll have a lot of anecdotes to tell when I am home.

I'll quote Lee's post here because he makes an important point: Don't try to fight. These guys have nothing to loose. Average life expectancy of a paco addict is like 5 years beginning from the point where he got addicted, I once read. If you have something to loose and he does not, you just can't win. Belongings can be replaced, health can't.

Lee said:
Everyone native I know here has been robbed...without exception. In the 4 years I have lived here I have seen watches stolen, purses, a cellphone store robbed, wallet snatched at a kiosk (that is one to remember...pulling out the wallet anywhere...people often linger and then grab and run).

Junkies have nothing to lose and they will usually use intimidation to get something...anything. Always be looking ahead (and don't forget behind at the same time) and if you have a bad feeling avoid the area / person if you can. If not be ready to run...fighting back in not recommended since you never know how high / desperate the thief is.

PS: The paco, according to spanish wikipedia, destroys the respiratory tract causing bloody cough, destroys the skin and the muscles, causes ulcers/boils and unstable/aggressive behaviour. Many starve to death due to not feeling their most basic desires no more.

Back