Robbed

The most "robbed " car is the VW Gol for parts, as it is the most popular vehicle. So Said Clarin..!

They stole my friend's VW Gol at gunpoint as he dropped off his girlfriend. And it wasn't a new car, I think 2007 model. Crazy.

Sorry to the OP, it is an awful feeling.

Very sorry to hear that. It must be very frustrating to go through that so close to the end of your trip!

I agree with Davidglen77. This is just not a city where you can play with a smart phone in the street or listen to music walking around. I've never made that a habit here, but I see people doing it all the time, even now. I have friends who have been involved in armed robberies who still insist on bringing brand new iPhones down here and pulling them out everywhere. Street crime is just too frequent for me to think it's worth it to take those risks. If my phone rings in my purse and I think it's an important call, I duck into the nearest chino or large kiosco, answer, and if it's someone I know I usually say something like, "Okay, I'm out and about so make it quick." I purposefully bought an older Samsung mini model to minimize my risk, but I still do my best not to get it out if I don't have to. I also haven't left my house with a laptop in years. My computer is five years old, but it's a Mac so it's still way too conspicuous. When I wait for buses, I lean away from the street and make sure to swing my purse (which always has a cross-body strap) and any bags I'm carrying to the opposite side of my body every time a moto goes by. I walk very quickly, no strolling for me, and keep my bitch face firmly on. If I'm just running out to buy something near home, I carry cash, a copy of my passport any my Medicus card, nothing else. I don't enjoy living this way, but I'm used to it and it's served me well so far. I have never been a victim of any crime in Buenos Aires, or anywhere else for that matter. I do of course know that for all my efforts, a big part of this comes down to luck with a dash of genetics--visually, I can pass for local everywhere I've lived. Helps me to fly under the radar. Obviously, locals get robbed, too, so I'll emphasize the luck part again. There are only so many precautions you can take before one day you're simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. Be careful out there, everyone.

I agree to take precautions but do not agree with people saying that all the entire city is like that. Yes, thieves can move, and shit can happen everywhere, but due to the quantity of high income people (oficinistas) concentrated in the Microcentro, is particulary heavy that part of the city especially at rush hours. The rest of the city is waaay more secure. Microcentro is a lot of upper media class people moving along, Florida, Lavalle, you have the lawers of Palacio de Justicia, people that work in big companies, Puerto Madero close...also close to Villa 31.... it is full of pungas, you see it everywhere, you can actually see them on the streets, they are not working there!!! they are waiting to steal!!! thats why you see them in that zone of the city... So in Microcentro as I said before, you have to be paranoid, the same as in the Subte, but the rest of the city? I see people talking with their phones, laptops in bars, people listening to music.... obvioulsly you have to be cautious, but if you re not in Microcentro you can go in relaxed mode, you dont have to be paranoid.

You should study the role of Clarin during the years crsis, the front page titles, with the megacanje, the blindaje, with convertibilidad, with the dictatorship!!! please, google papel prensa... and of course, front pages like "La gente esta harta del gobierno" on a sunday (the day they sell more) ...based on 2300 cases of a non representative sample!!! or "La presidenta necesita plata y lanza otra moratoria", or "La crisis provocó dos nuevas muertes"... seriously, check what Clarin is and what they did in the lowest hours this country lived (dictatorship, convertibilidad, several crisis)...

24 de marzo de 1976, Videla took power, Clarin in front page: "Total normalidad"

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)] I see people talking with their phones, laptops in bars, people listening to music.... [/background]

In San Isidro centro people go to cafes with their laptop (even Apple ones) and enjoy a coffee while surfing on the free WiFi. And the cafes door are open for anyone to enter, there is no security in restaurant or cafes, only in the banks.

Anyway I don't use my phone while standing on the sidewalk or the train/colectivo. I can take a brief phone call, but no texting and no mail checking that go beyond 2 seconds. I never saw a crime so far, but I have been here for just 2 months. Anyway I hate going to CABA because I feel VERY unsafe here. There are too many things going on, 4 lanes of car, one for buses, plus bikes buzzing around, a storm of pedestrian, etc. I can't enjoy a stroll there.

Yesterday our dueño came with his personal plumber who had two iPhones, one that he used as a torch and another one that he used to make calls. He spoke very good English because spent some years in the States, was dressed like an office professional (jeans, shirt and pullover), disassembled and reassembled nonchalantly our boiler.
Today it's frickin' freeze in here because the pipes are clogged, anyway.

In San Isidro centro people go to cafes with their laptop (even Apple ones) and enjoy a coffee while surfing on the free WiFi. And the cafes door are open for anyone to enter, there is no security in restaurant or cafes, only in the banks.

Anyway I don't use my phone while standing on the sidewalk or the train/colectivo. I can take a brief phone call, but no texting and no mail checking that go beyond 2 seconds. I never saw a crime so far, but I have been here for just 2 months. Anyway I hate going to CABA because I feel VERY unsafe here. There are too many things going on, 4 lanes of car, one for buses, plus bikes buzzing around, a storm of pedestrian, etc. I can't enjoy a stroll there.

Yesterday our dueño came with his personal plumber who had two iPhones, one that he used as a torch and another one that he used to make calls. He spoke very good English because spent some years in the States, was dressed like an office professional (jeans, shirt and pullover), disassembled and reassembled nonchalantly our boiler.
Today it's frickin' freeze in here because the pipes are clogged, anyway.

This Applies " No se puede contar plata delante de los pobres" :D

Another place to be careful, which I never would have suspected, is on the bus if you're sitting by the windows. A friend told me he was on the bus in the summer when the windows were open, and a girl was talking on her phone sitting by the window, and while the bus was stopped, someone jumped up and grabbed her phone right out of her hand, right as the bus took off. I NEVER would have even thought of that as a possibility. Can't knock em for creativity jaja

Back