Salads...a Big Problem In Bsars

Pine Nuts?....used to a deal here. No more.

Gs is right. Again. Agree with make your own salad and dressing. I am leery of many salads in restaurants. A few years back a good friend was visiting and we ate at a restaurant with a salad bar , which he ate , and promptly got food poison. Nasty bit that set him back a couple days. Irregardless where I buy vegetables , I thoroughly wash everything with a soap and vinegar mix. Rinse well. Dry with salad spinner.

At little extra $$ for good olive oil and basalmic. Red wine vinegar is nice for a change too. I also make homemade croutons every week. Toasted pine nuts and craisins also make salad time fun.

Ok, Martha Stewart... where do you get pine nuts here?

And yes, Caesar Salad is made with RAW EGG!

My suitcase. Same place as the Maple Syrup. (When I have room , GS !!) Bring them in by the pound. and NO , I have none to sell , but will consider battering.......

Please , Martha Stewart has a rap sheet. I am not there yet.

A salad must contain.... endives, cherry tomatoes, red onions, mix of lettuce bibs avocado, capers, siced black olives, and feta cheese, among other goodies

Ok, Martha Stewart... where do you get pine nuts here?

And yes, Caesar Salad is made with RAW EGG!
My suitcase. Same place as the Maple Syrup. (When I have room , GS !!) Bring them in by the pound. and NO , I have none to sell , but will consider battering.......

Please , Martha Stewart has a rap sheet. I am not there yet.

Come on guys there have been threads about this, some of which I have started. Pine nuts = Alberti & Garay. Maple syrup: jumbo Palermo, barrio chino, the DVD rental store in puerto madero...

A salad must contain.... endives, cherry tomatoes, red onions, mix of lettuce bibs avocado, capers, siced black olives, and feta cheese, among other goodies

Together?!?!?!

A salad is not a place to throw all of the random shit you have in your pantry.

Argentines please note: Ceasar Salad is not made with mayonnaise! Here are the ingredients: Parmesan cheese, lemon juice, olive oil, egg, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, black pepper, and lettuce with croutons. Optional ingredients are mustard and anchovies.

What the hell! Worcestershire sauce is mandatory but Dijon and anchovies are optional??....

Now that we are on the subject of salads I want to touch on the salad bars at those tenedor libre restaurants. I strongly recommend to avoid the following - any cold dish that contains seafood - squid, tuna, etc. These items are very expensive and places will recycle them, take whats not finished the day before and mix it up with new food the next day. Also anything that contains mayonnaise or eggs. Here people do not refigerate eggs and many do not refrigerate mayonnaise - serious risk for food poisoning. Stick to fresh or cooked vegetables and / or the hot dishes. If there are hot foods there should be some steam coming out of the sides of the table. If not, the food is not being kept hot enough to keep bacteria at bay. I've known MANY people here who have gotten food borne illness, including me once - NO fun at all.

Back