Self employed aka Digital Nomad

andreys

Registered
I'm going to have a direct contract with US company and would like to live and pay taxes in AR (BA)

There are several monotributo categories, but what to do if your sallary more than in last category?
Do I still have an ability to avoid to pay huge taxes?

How to count your incoming money in peso if you have contract in dollars and going to recieve money to dollar's account ?

Do I need to do something before flight to AR?
We have tourist's visa for 90 days and in general I need permission to live with my wife and childrens (They are not going to work)

You're way ahead of yourself and I hope you haven't already bought tickets. You can't just pick up and move your family to a new country using a bunch of tourist visas. What are you thinking? Your first step is to see if you qualify for a visa that also would allow you to bring your family. And it appears that you're not retired with a lot of passive income to qualify for a whole family. So unless your wife is Argentine you're not getting a visa that allows you to bring your family and legally stay full time. Sloooooow down.

You're way ahead of yourself and I hope you haven't already bought tickets. You can't just pick up and move your family to a new country ...
Not everybody has luxury to wait. The iron curtain is coming down.

There are several monotributo categories, ...
Monotributo is for residents, not tourists. Tourists are not supposed to pay taxes either.

You can get in as a tourist and send yourself money via Western Union (assuming your dollar account is in the country the WU works with).

There are some creative ways to adjust your immigration status, or you can apply for the citizenship, while you are already here, but after your tourist visa expires you will be an "irregular". Some people live this way for years, but if you are looking for some stability in your life this may be not your preferred option.

Monotributo is for residents, not tourists. Tourists are not supposed to pay taxes either.

You can get in as a tourist and send yourself money via Western Union (assuming your dollar account is in the country the WU works with).

There are some creative ways to adjust your immigration status, or you can apply for the citizenship, while you are already here, but after your tourist visa expires you will be an "irregular". Some people live this way for years, but if you are looking for stability in your life this may be not your preferred option.
This is a person who is about to get a job in the US that allows him to work remotely. And he is about to move his entire family to Argentina based on a combination of misinterpreted information and simply not realizing that you're entire family will be illegal immigrants in 90 days.

Are they going to get together and do family border runs? Can you enroll kids in school if you're in the country illegally?

It's different when you take the risk as an individual. But to bring your family with you is another level. Unless the mafia or something is after you in the US, I see no logical reason someone would make that type of move while having so little information.

I'm going to have a direct contract with US company and would like to live and pay taxes in AR (BA)
Is the US company that is going to be paying your salary registerd with AFIP to do business in Argentina?

If so, I believe the company would be able to provide you with a "work contract" and "sponsor" you (at migraciones) for a visa to work in Argentina
There are several monotributo categories, but what to do if your sallary more than in last category?
Do I still have an ability to avoid to pay huge taxes?

If your salary is higher than any of the categories for the monotributo you will not be able to inscribe as a monotributo.
How to count your incoming money in peso if you have contract in dollars and going to recieve money to dollar's account ?
I'm assuming the company is paying your salary in dollars and you are not billing individual clients, but even if you were going to be doing that, you I don't think you can get a work visa for that reason alone.You would have to get temporary residency based on another category first.

If you are "self employed" as indicated in the title of this thread you will not be able to get a work visa. The "digital nomad visa" does not yet (and may never) exist.

I am not sure, but even if you had a work contract and you were being paid in dollars from the USA, you might have to convert those dollars to pesos at the official rate within five days of receiving the funds. That's how it works for individuals who are working in Argentna and billig foreign clients.

As far as I know, they do not have "work visas" which allow them to do this. They are ether Aegentines or foreigners with temporary residency based on another category or they have permanent residency.

If you can receive your salary in a US bank and use Western Union to transfer the funds at the WU rate, you would receive almost twice as many pesos in Argentina than you would if the dollars must be paid directly to your dollar account in an Argentine bank and then converted to pesos at the official rate.

If the company is not registered with AFIP and cannot sponsor you for the work visa, you will not be able to open a bank account in which to receive your salary, and if that's the case, you won't be able to work or live in Argentina "legally" with your family, either, unless, as SecretShopper indicated, your wife is Argentine.

Based on what I've read in this forum, and from conversations with friends who are inscribed as monotributo, that category is ideal for not paying high income tax rates, but it obviously has its limits.

I don't know what income tax rate you would have to pay, but if you receive your salary in dollars that must be converted to pesos at the official rate, it might not matter what the tax rate is after you calculate what your "salary" will be as a result.

You might just say no.

Whatever you decide to do, I suggest you do it before the climate change or the next pandemic or the World War III lockdowns begin and travel gets restricted.

Imagine what your life in Argentina will be like if/when any of those happen, especially if you are here with your family on expired tourist pemits

Even if none of them do, imagine what would happen to you and your family if the company you are/would be working remotely for went out of business or terminated your agreement and you were stuck here with no income

Last edited:
1) Just come here as a tourist. Do NOT register a business.

2) Send yourself money via WU or get dollars across the border. Chile just got completely rid of the quarantine requirement for fully vaccinated tourists. A weekend trip to Santiago and fill your pockets with 100 dollar bills.

3) Get to know what life is like in this sh* ... ahem ... I mean wonderful country.

If you still like it after living here for a while then you can start looking for ways to make it more permanent (start citizenship process, creative ways to get residency etc) and then get a Monotributo.

Oh and re Monotributo: The highest 3 categories (I,J,K) are only for retail (selling physical products). That means that for you providing services to a US company: the highest category would be "H".
There are also creative ways to stay in a Monotributo if you earn more (e.g. get one for your wife too).

Oh and re Monotributo: The highest 3 categories (I,J,K) are only for retail (selling physical products). That means that for you providing services to a US company: the highest category would be "H".
There are also creative ways to stay in a Monotributo if you earn more (e.g. get one for your wife too).

Two words in a google search and two mouse clicks later:

This is the most ominous post I have read in this forum since I joined almost 16 years ago.

I happen to agree with it completely.

Perhaps Lunar used the metaphor in a differet way that I interpret it, so I would greating appreciate knowing if I missed the meaning.

While I wouldn't use the "iron curtain" mataphor to decribe what is happening, I woudn't be surprised in the least to see it used by someone who actually lived part of their life behind one, but of course I don't know if that applies in this instance..

At this time I don't believe the "iron curtain" is coming down on one region such as Eastern Europe.

I believe it is coming down on the entire planet..

The Pollyannas of this forum are welcome to disagree.

PS: As always, the Pollyannas of this forum are welcome to disagree..

...especially the ones who, in the past, have suggested that I need more tin foil...

...which I do, but only to make a dress for my girlfriend.

Last edited:
Good thing Argentina has already stated it wants to be Russia's gateway to South America. That iron curtain is not far away...

Good thing Argentina has already stated it wants to be Russia's gateway to South America. That iron curtain is not far away...
please provide legitimate reference confirming that '' statement '' Argentina made...... thx

Back