Seriously Thinking Of Retiring In Ba

and
That depends on one's lifestyle.

I live here on $500/month, which I know would be impossible for me in the USA.

And I live in the Provincia Buenos Aires in a four bedroom home (with almost 12,000 sq meters of land) on about the same amount.

My average monthly expenses (even with the recent increases in the price of LP gas and electricity): house and car insurance, property tax, Internet, satellite TV, nafta (gasoline), car repairs, LP gas (for heating the house, cooking and hot water), and electricity total less than $300 USD.

I don't eat in restaurants or travel far from home so the rest goes to food.

I can already harvest aclelga (which grows without replanting), the fruit trees are beginning to blossom (plums, pears, and apples) and I am counting the days to planting time...( carrots, beets, bush beans, tomatoes, basil, etc.).

Thanks for you reply in advance. As to why I want retire in Buenos Aires, I try to answer:

1) Been there many times (on vacation and visiting family) and love the city and country
2) I don't really have much family, but my wife does. We get along with them great
3) Hopefully it would be more affordable than living in the Washington D.C. Area

Thanks for you reply in advance. As to why I want retire in Buenos Aires, I try to answer:

1) Been there many times (on vacation and visiting family) and love the city and country
2) I don't really have much family, but my wife does. We get along with them great
3) Hopefully it would be more affordable than living in the Washington D.C. Area

Considering you have been here so many times..but you have no idea via your relatives - the cost of living? health insurance etc? or how to ent a apartment?

I do have an idea about cost of living from my relatives living there, but I wanted to get the point of view from someone who has moved there from the US.

Why you need so much area? 1.2 hectares? nice!

Any security issues?

In 2010 I searched all of Argentina (on the internet) for a place I could live in peace and grow my own food, have small livestock if and when I desired, and do "just about" whatever I wanted without interference from the municipal government (build a pottery kiln, a smokehouse, a wood-working shop, etc.), and or convert the galpon into an estancia style guest house.

I bought the most desirable property in my price range that was on the market at the time. It was also close to two cities, an airport with direct flights to BA, and in a relatively "safe" location that can't be seen or even "easily" accessed from the highway. I haven't had any security issues in six years; certainly nothing like "Happy Camper" who reported spending $30,000 pesos a month more than "expected" to deal with security issues at their country home (in 2014).

The only thing that has been stolen since my arrival was a chain across the driveway in front of the house and it disappeared during the day while I was home.

I don't want to stray from the topic, so you can read more and make additional comments here: http://baexpats.org/...it-really-like/

Very true living in BA today is more expensive that in the USA....!

this really depends on where in the USA you live, and HOW you live.

I only live in Buenos Aires 1/4 time, but I still pay for my home and all its expenses in Argentina year round.
And pretty much everything about my apartment in Buenos Aires is significantly cheaper than my home in rural Washington State.
Taxes are a fraction of US taxes. Utilities run maybe 20% of what I pay up here. Insurance in the USA is insane- I live and work on the same parcel, yet must pay for TWO different flood insurance policies, and two different home/fire/theft policies- and either is more than you would pay in Buenos Aires by far.
If we paid full rate (we make little enough to get Obamacare subsidies) my wife and I would pay about $1200 USD a month for health insurance in the USA.
Again, cheaper in argentina.

We live in Buenos Aires 3 months a year, and have owned our place there almost ten years. My day to day food, drink, and entertainment costs are lower there than in the US.
I buy certain clothes in argentina- not everything, but some things are cheaper.

All up, I think I can live in Argentina for well under half what it costs me here.
And an equivalent apartment in Seattle, my nearest city, would cost about three times the price that they are asking NOW for apartments in good neighborhoods.

certainly, many things are expensive in Argentina- Imported things. but if you live locally, you will be able to live a lot cheaper than current in city Washington DC prices.

Similar circumstances to you but I'm from the UK rather than the US. I moved here ten years ago with my Argentine wife after many years of marriage and living in the UK. To be honest it was quite a straightforward and painless process. First I obtained my permanent residency from the Argentine consulate in London before the move.We shipped our goods by container and flew over a couple of days before they arrived...we already had a house here. No problems getting the customs to clear the container at the port. All they did was break the seal, opened the door, took a look inside and that was it.
It wasn't until I applied for my DNI that the hassle started but as I wasn't in any rush to have it that was just annoying more than a problem.

Keeping a US bank account open would be wise.

Back