Seriously Thinking Of Retiring In Ba

One thing is meant as an insult and quite another as constructive criticism.Naturally,this depends on how it is stated and the intent of the one who said it.
There is a story told about Miguel de Unamuno the famous Spanish philosopher at the U. de Madrid.A German professor there was constantly complaining bitterly about Spain..The other Spaniards reproached him for joining them in wanting to berate the German for this.Unamuno told them."Dejadlo.Si el critica tanto a Espana,es porque la quiere"-Let him alone.If he criticizes Spain so much,it is because he loves it.
When I critize Argentines in conversation with them face to face I always try to keep this in mind.

One thing is meant as an insult and quite another as constructive criticism.Naturally,this depends on how it is stated and the intent of the one who said it.
There is a story told about Miguel de Unamuno the famous Spanish philosopher at the U. de Madrid.A German professor there was constantly complaining bitterly about Spain..The other Spaniards reproached him for joining them in wanting to berate the German for this.Unamuno told them."Dejadlo.Si el critica tanto a Espana,es porque la quiere"-Let him alone.If he criticizes Spain so much,it is because he loves it.
When I critize Argentines in conversation with them face to face I always try to keep this in mind.

Beautifully said. The people who most criticise Argentina are Argentineans who dream what this great country could be. Many on this board who most extol its virtues live here part-time and opine from a diffferent view than the fulltime expats struggling in a peso salary. I continue to do neither but run the business from Europe and feel the pain remotely. This country is many things to many people and noone has any more truth than another, just opinion.

Most of the expats who lived here on income from the US, Europe or wherever have left, almost all the young ones anyway. As long as they could enjoy an easy life, Argentina was fine and they defended the Kirchners and criticized expats who thought otherwise. Once life got difficult and expensive they started leaving.

Sorry I have not been posting. I'm still seriously considering the move and thank all of your for your advice. My wife and I are taking to our children about this to get their feed
back.

Weigh in all the above comments and join the Expats that live in Argentina of a fixed dollar income and lose 30% plus buying power each year for as long as the dollar stays flat---!! :eek: :mad:

Citibank exec told me yesterday the bank projects the peso / dollar rate to be 16 within a few months and about 18 by this time or later next year. Apparently the government wants to keep it there. I can't see that inflation has dropped but Macri seems to think it has. Even at 30% and not 40%, in one year Argentina is going to be much much more expensive for anyone living on dollars. For those people here who get regular salary increases allowing them to keep up with inflation, it will be OK. They can take a lot of shopping trips to Miami. For a retiree from the US it seems to me it would be a nightmare.

Citibank exec told me yesterday the bank projects the peso / dollar rate to be 16 within a few months and about 18 by this time or later next year. Apparently the government wants to keep it there. I can't see that inflation has dropped but Macri seems to think it has. Even at 30% and not 40%, in one year Argentina is going to be much much more expensive for anyone living on dollars. For those people here who get regular salary increases allowing them to keep up with inflation, it will be OK. They can take a lot of shopping trips to Miami. For a retiree from the US it seems to me it would be a nightmare.

To cover the current 30 % inflation rate the dollar should be at least $20 pesos...!

To cover the current 30 % inflation rate the dollar should be at least $20 pesos...!

No, no, no, need blue rate @ 20.00 and Official @ $15.00. Be careful what you wish for: Macri. We need a return to Kicillof/Cristina monetary policy, our only hope. Damn this open market shit.

http://www.iprofesional.com/notas/239085-Inslito-advierten-que-hay-us8000-millones-parados-en-las-entidades-financieras

I'm no financial wizard, but it seems that the devaluation of the pesos means my dollar would go much further in Argentina. So, it may not be so totally dire as you make it out to be.

BA Herald up to 24 pesos today despite the fact it is thinner and thinner and...

I'm no financial wizard, but it seems that the devaluation of the pesos means my dollar would go much further in Argentina. So, it may not be so totally dire as you make it out to be.

Not Quite . :rolleyes: The peso vis-a-vis the dollar IS NOT devaluing! its almost pegged at $15 pesos or so. Prices do go up 30 % or more per annum, so in the next 2 years your fixed dollar income buying power will be reduced by One-Half .... :mad: Like a 50 % salary cut..!! If the dollar stays flat. If the floods of dollars expected come in !! the Peso may revalue against the Dollar..! :eek:

We may be back to the 1995 scenario where B.A.was the most expensive city in the World. :cool:

Back