Servicio domestico in times of Covid

Good question. I knew someone who had a male helper she called a 'houseman' (since you watched Downton you know that the butler doesn't do the cleaning).
Sergio,

I do know that a butler is not in the capacity of a maid, but for the life of me, I am not sure what the male counterpart is to a maid.

To put this to rest, Google says it is a "MANSERVANT." Seems kind of a harsh tabel, but if that is what it is, so be it.

A manservant it is.

Sergio,

I do know that a butler is not in the capacity of a maid, but for the life of me, I am not sure what the male counterpart is to a maid.

To put this to rest, Google says it is a "MANSERVANT." Seems kind of a harsh label, but if that is what it is, so be it.

A manservant it is.

The concept of domestic servants is antiquated so the terms are awkward to contemporary people. For the most part it's only in less developed, labor intensive countries (Argentina included) that domestic labor is common but even in Argentina the term 'mucama' is out of favor, house cleaners preferring to be called employees. Of course it's a euphemism but it sounds less servile. I think male domestic employees are now quite rare in Argentina.

The concept of 'mucama' is out of favor in Argentina
Indeed. The girls here just hate that word! To tease them, i often say i am looking for a “ama de casa” ; to which they respond “oh so you want a mucama!!!”

Back