Shopping - Electronics

Chet

Registered
One of my first tasks in BA (after I find a place to live) will be getting computer equipment. I generally like to buy stuff as parts and put it together myself so I'll be needing everything from a tower+power supply to a motherboard and monitor.
All suggestions on shops for this purpose are very very welcome.
(I am counting on the 'speek geek' since my spanish is very limited. )

One of my first tasks in BA (after I find a place to live) will be getting computer equipment. I generally like to buy stuff as parts and put it together myself so I'll be needing everything from a tower+power supply to a motherboard and monitor.
All suggestions on shops for this purpose are very very welcome.
(I am counting on the 'speek geek' since my spanish is very limited. )

Many shops advertise on here, and it`ll give you an idea of the prices.
http://www.mercadolibre.com.ar/

If you havent arrived in Argentina, i`d try and bring as much as possible with you because prices can be steep. perhaps a video card, ram and storage arnt too large to put in a suitcase.

I have a spare 2 year old Asus motherboard if you`re interested pm me. Its fine, but bought a new one because I had hardware problems, turned out it wasnt the motherboard.

Well I will bring a hard drive but not much more, having a hard time with airplane weight limits as it is.
Are those prices including tax?
Things do seem a bit steep.
I wouldn't mind a used system but needs to be fairly newish - I need to run ubuntu 12.04 and a good graphics card for software development.

Talk to that Welsh chap...prices are going to be steeper than you'd be accustomed to. Arg is a pricey place to be buying tech

Well I will bring a hard drive but not much more, having a hard time with airplane weight limits as it is.
Are those prices including tax?
Things do seem a bit steep.
I wouldn't mind a used system but needs to be fairly newish - I need to run ubuntu 12.04 and a good graphics card for software development.

Bring as much as you can - cpu's and memory won't take up much space but you'll save a bundle.

Bring as much as you can - cpu's and memory won't take up much space but you'll save a bundle.

Exactly, i`d get a ssd drive, cpu, memory and if possible a graphics card before you arrive. But depends on how much you need a good graphics card, you can get away with paying very little these days.

When we moved to Argentina I worked out that excess package on the plane was less than the cost of items we would need to buy. I had 2 laptops, Playstation 3, hard drives, even a 32" Television. We bought 8 suitcases with us (family of 4), 2 suitcases for each person and I paid excess on the TV because it worked out cheaper to bring it.

I agree with everyone else, bring as much non bulky kit as you can, says I, cutting off my nose to spite my face.
But it's a fact that PC components are very expensive here and/or hampered by those damn import restrictions.
If I were you: CPU, memory and hard drive. In fact, a decent Radeon GPU and Mobo wouldn't take up much more room either :)
Example: AMD Vishera octo core US$159 on Newegg and US$260 here, depending on xchange.

Pay for an extra bag. You'll probably end up saving money.

Back